Ways to remove fence posts?

/ Ways to remove fence posts? #1  

Trophyduck

Tractor
LS XR4145 (45hp HST)
Looking for some ideas on how to best remove fence posts. I have a "bunch" of 6x6 vinyl posts (horse fencing) that I want to pull out. I don't have a boom pole, just the bucket. I know I can figure a way but was thinking you all may have a great idea and save me some time/effort.....I tried the search option but couldn't find anything...thanks in advance!

/ Ways to remove fence posts? #2  
I just took some out a month ago using my hay spear. First I removed the rails, then I slid the hay spear into the opening for the rails, and lifted. I wasn't trying to save them, I just needed them out of the way, but surprisingly, none where damaged. They where packed in dirt, so no concrete to deal with.

/ Ways to remove fence posts? #3  
I used a chain with my bucket to remove wood and T fence post. It made it very easy to pull them out.

Do you have wood post inside your vinyl post?

/ Ways to remove fence posts?
I'm not sure to be honest. The ones I have checked out are not. The corner posts and gate post have cement.
These posts do not have openings for a hay spear though. The boards are installed in brackets that are screwed tot he post.

I was just thinking of a rope or strap to go around the post and lift with the bucket. As I lift, it will tighten on the post....I am trying to keep damage to a minimum.

I guess there really aren't a whole lot of options.

/ Ways to remove fence posts? #6  
If not in concrete, and to remove them undamaged, I would make this clamp.

Two 2x4's or 2x6's, about 2ft long, two bolts, and a spacer to keep the "jaws" parallel. Maybe sandpaper on the inside board, or a bunch of small nails with points barely through. If really tight, it might take two clamps.

plasticpostpuller.jpg

Bruce

/ Ways to remove fence posts? #7  
A length of chain with two hooks.

Wrap chain around bucket (between loader arms, missing QA linkage etc) so the hook on one end links to the "middle" of the chain. This will leave you with the rest of the chain dangling down with a hook. Drive to the post, lift loader so the chain is about centered on the post and dangling down beside it, wrap the chain around base of the post and hook it to itself.

Lift loader up, chain should grab and pull the post out. Have someone steady the post by hand it you think it could tip into the tractor.

I've removed hundreds of posts with this method. Have miles of barbwire fence here to maintain. Beats lifting them out by hand.

/ Ways to remove fence posts? #8  
Shucks I once removed 10 posts set in concrete simply using the hydraulics on my plow truck.
OK, had to make 2 pulls as the plow hydraulic lift distance was minimal but it worked just fine.
I simply wrapped a chain tightly and presto!

Using your FEL you may need so sit bucket on the ground and curl for maximum pull and repeat as I did with the plow truck.

/ Ways to remove fence posts? #9  
I thought this site was full of "safety Sallys"... They should know, for safety reasons, you aren't supose to pull fence post with the loader, on a tractor!

You are supose to pull them using the 3 point hitch with a chain, to lift them out.

SR