Ways to remove fence posts?

/ Ways to remove fence posts? #31  
Mcfarmalls idea with block to fit the inside the vinyl sounds like good idea. I have never had a problem pulling posts out with fel on my 454 but it's pretty heavy

/ Ways to remove fence posts? #32  
For T posts I use a manual puller that I got from Tractor Supply. For wood posts I have a Tajfun logging winch.

/ Ways to remove fence posts? #33  
I once had a contract to replace a low fence with a high 'privacy' one.
My helper was not looking forward to digging out the old posts, neither was I.

My work truck also served to plow snow and as such had hydraulics to raise the blade.
We positioned the truck, lowered the plow lift 'arm' and chained to the posts and promptly popped all the posts in no time at all.

Being wooden posts we choked the chain snugly for it to work. Would also work well with 'T' bar posts.

Must add that due to the short travel of the plow truck's lift a double pull was necessary but a small price to pay for the ease.

/ Ways to remove fence posts? #34  
I use the loader without the bucket for pulling posts. I've had two that said "No!" The first was a phone line marker post. It was smashed flat and rusty. I didn't want to hit it with my mower so I decided to pull it. I had tried using my hands but that didn't work. I got a hold of it with some trucker chain and it quickly picked up the rear wheels. I was surprised. I wasn't expecting it and I was new to pulling posts. I let it down and tried again with the same results. I then got it to the point where the rear wheels were just beginning to lift and I stopped and waited. After a minute it broke loose and I was able to pull it out. It taught me a lesson.

The second was a 5 inch round post in dry ground. I had already pulled out two without much difficulty. I used the same technique, put a bunch of pressure on it and wait. I had to up and down the loader a few times but it came out. Sometimes you have to give it some time for the soil to release. I've got about 20 that have to come out this spring on steep ground. I'm not looking forward to it. I'll have to figure out how to get as square to the the post as possible so I don't get one corner coming off the ground before the other does.

/ Ways to remove fence posts? #35  
Bruce had an excellent point....lots of help on pulling other than plastic posts.

Last edited:
   / Ways to remove fence posts? #36  
On 6x6 vinyl I'd use a 2" strap and a clove hitch knot.

/ Ways to remove fence posts? #37  
On 6x6 vinyl I'd use a 2" strap and a clove hitch knot.

/ Ways to remove fence posts? #38  
This works really good either off 3 point or loader on my tractor, can find them at tractor supply, amazon or any ag supply
View attachment 601796

That is what I use also. The picture is misleading. I have the proper size chain so instead of using a hook I just slide a link into the slot. So then the chain is fixed to my three point and I can put the puller anywhere I need on the post.

Doug in SW IA

/ Ways to remove fence posts? #39  
Same here only difference I use loader never any problem pulls them right out

/ Ways to remove fence posts? #40  
Yeah the chain they show in pic kind of light weight I use a 5/16 towing chain I keep in tractor tool box. I also have two chain hooks on loader seems to work ok with my rig. 1204151444_HDR.jpeg