weed trimmers

/ weed trimmers #1  

check 6

Gold Member
Tractor
L 3560, 008-3 excavator ZD 1211 mower
My Stihl gas weed trimmer is showing its age and I'm at least thinking about replacing it with a battery powered one. My lot is an acre and it takes me about 35 minutes to trim around flowerbeds, buildings and edge a 200 ft long driveway. So have any had experience good or bad with the Stihl or other brands of battery trimmer for doing this level of work. Battery life and durability for long life are considerations. My gas model is over ten years old. With my back light weight is a plus

/ weed trimmers #2  
Great luck honda & Dolmar trimmers.

/ weed trimmers #3  
Battery life and durability for long life are considerations.

Durability, that is the key. These battery-powered yard devices and tools have very expensive batteries, one cell goes bad and it takes the battery pack with it. I'm also shopping for a battery-powered trimmer and have focused on the battery warranty. So far, I have not found a good solution for my use case.

/ weed trimmers #4  
I've been using a Ryobi 18 volt trimmer for about 3-4 years now. Very light, pretty good balance and with a 4 amp hour battery in it, it has excellent run time. I've been using the Ryobi tools for quite a long time and have really good luck with their Li-Ion batteries.

/ weed trimmers #5  
We use Greenworks Commercial battery trimmers in our orchards.
82 volt, Quick recharge time, run time is long. Various battery sizes for run time.

Easy line replacement as well.
Home | Greenworks Commercial

/ weed trimmers #6  
Bought a Dewalt 20v electric weed trimmer at the beginning of the summer. Highly recommend it. Barely uses 1/3 of the battery after my normal 45 minutes of weed whacking. Has an easy load trimmer line too. Much quieter, no hot muffler to burn my arm on, no gas to spill.

Hardest habit to change was learning to not having to feather the throttle to keep it running when walking from spot to spot

Bought it to replace another gas trimmer; they tend to die after about three years.

/ weed trimmers #7  
I really like my EGO string trimmer, and it's now 3 years old. So far I've not had to replace a battery, but I know they ain't cheap.

/ weed trimmers #8  
I have Milwaukee and Makita trimmers and both have been excellent, never use my gas units anymore since the electric are so much easier, lighter, quieter. I was already invested in both tool lines so had plenty of batteries/chargers so the trimmers themselves weren't that expensive. Will never go back to gas.

/ weed trimmers #9  
I love my Oregon 18V (?) trimmer. Not a brush trimmer but does regular trimming jobs just fine. Nice to walk from tree to tree with it not running and you don't need hearing protection. Took me two years to realize the trigger was a speed control and not just on and off. Have the pole saw and self sharpening chainsaw too.

/ weed trimmers #10  
I have used a B&D 20 volt lithium trimmer for the last 4 years, I did not think it would last two years let alone 4 years, I have two batteries for it and I trim around my 3/4 acre lake home then use it out at my 12.7 acres for trimming, it is definitely not a gas trimmer like my other trimmer but it’s light and gets the job done, have not used my gas trimmer in 3 years and again it is not bad for the price.
If I was going to get into heavy overgrown weeds/grass I would go with gas but for just trimming around trees, fence post, driveway and things like that the B&D has been good. I would buy it again.

I do like the greenworks line Also.