Welcome to Oil & Lubricants

/ Welcome to Oil & Lubricants #1  

Muhammad

Administrator
Tractor
None currently
Greetings, Users!

Welcome to the <font color=red>New</font color=red> Oil & Lubricants discussions!

Here you can continue your favorite discussions on oils and lubricants!

<font color=blue>>></font color=blue>Muhammad
<font color=blue>Forum Master</font color=blue>

/ Welcome to Oil & Lubricants #2  
Do you really think there will be enough discussion on this topic to justify a separate forum? /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Welcome to Oil & Lubricants
Why did I know you would be the first to post in here, Mark? /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Welcome to Oil & Lubricants #4  
Well, so??? You've got half the total posts, and the first one, too! Besides, I've promised myself that I'm not going to post another single message to this forum in the next 5 minutes. So there! (The oil posts I need to answer are in the Kubota Owning forum...)

/ Welcome to Oil & Lubricants
/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Well I don't know if I can counter-attack that one! Except that 5 minutes has passed, and I just might move that thread over here, leave y'all wondering just what happened!

/ Welcome to Oil & Lubricants #6  
Gosh Mark, I think it was awfully nice of Muhammad to set up a special forum just for you and Amsoil./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Bird

/ Welcome to Oil & Lubricants #7  
Wasn't it, though. So far, though, Muhammad has dominated the conversation...

/ Welcome to Oil & Lubricants #8  
Maybe this is where discussion regarding front axle oil belongs. Like others, I've read in my owner's manual that use of either Super UDT or 80W-90 gear oil in the front axle case is acceptable. Since this recommendation covers such a wide range of specific weights, would one (or more) of you advise me with specific detail. Why the inclination toward gear oil for a geared tractor? I own a B2100 DT. Thanks for any information (or informed preference).
Ed

/ Welcome to Oil & Lubricants #9  
Ok, I'll start, especially since this is "my" forum, anyway (Bird's suggestion, not mine.)

Lower speed, heavier duty gears typically use heavier lubricants, with the Kubota front axle gears definitely falling into this category. Some of the newer transmission designs that are very heavy duty require much thinner lubricants than their older counterparts, but these also invariably also require synthetics. The Kubota front axle definitely does not fall into this category. Since Kubota herself (somebody called Kubota "mother" recently, so I'll go along) says you can use either, I opt for the type that is more typically used in this application, the gear oil. Reason: protection. Now, the drawback to the heavier weight oil is circulation. This stuff is very thick in very cold weather - the proverbial comparison to molasses is closer to reality than fantasy in viscosity properties.

So, what to do (most of you knew this was coming)? I use synthetic gear oil because it's low temp viscosity is far lower than its petroleum counterpart's would be. This way, I kill two birds with one stone (sorry, Bird, I couldn't help it...) /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

Mark

/ Welcome to Oil & Lubricants #10  
What synthetic would you recommend for the transmission and front axle and how much does it cost a quart. I would hope you can run the same oil in both.

My Kubota front axle actually drains and fills as three separate gearboxes.

My transmission holds 55 quarts and the front end holds 13.8 quarts. Will I need a bank loan. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif