Welcome to Oil & Lubricants

/ Welcome to Oil & Lubricants #11  
I use Amsoil (Bird, this blurb's for you!) 75W90 GL-5 Gear Oil in the front axle and Amsoil ATH SAE 30 Hydraulic Oil in the transmission. You'll see more about why I don't like to use the Hydraulic Oil in the front axle in another post I made a few minutes ago. I don't remember the prices off hand (I'll look it up and let you know), but $4/qt isn't far off.

Mark

/ Welcome to Oil & Lubricants #12  
Darn it, I used to know what to put in engines, transmissions, differentials, gear boxes, etc. (or at least I thought I did), but so many things are changing that I don't know anymore; can I just use corn oil in everything?/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ Welcome to Oil & Lubricants #13  
Bird - Nope. Corn is out. Canola is in. Or is it soybean now? Sunflower. I can't keep up, either...

/ Welcome to Oil & Lubricants #14  
Mark, another question for you.

I went to a fly-in several weeks ago. There was an Amsoil booth there. Got lots of good info but had a question about one thing. He had displayed a dual oil filter. If I remember right you talked about this one time. Anyway, one mounts this dual oil filter to the frame of one's truck. It is suppose to give much better oil filtration protection. The fella also had a small spicket (is "spicket" a word? I looked up the spelling and it is not listed. My wife said "spicket" is a Southern word meaning "faucet". She thinks I must have a Yankee dictionary. To check I looked up "trailer trash" and "seemelike" and they're not listed either...I think she's right.) Anyway, he has a spicket on his Amsoil dual oil filters that lets him easily take a sample of his oil for testing. I thought that was a good idea. Don't you use something similar on your Dodge? That's what I'm wanting it for. We just dewinterized our 5th wheel and it's time to tweek the Dodge for pulling.

/ Welcome to Oil & Lubricants #15  
Bill! BILL!! You're back! I'd thought we'd lost you! Why aren't you registered?? Where have you been?? We've missed your wisdom and your Mput (sorry, it's not much of a pun, but they never are...).

What you saw was a Dual Remote Bypass filter kit. It allows you to put an adapter plate at the original oil filter location, so you can put the regular filter (and generally a much larger regular one, at that) and a bypass filter somewhere more convenient. I've got one on my '93 Dodge and used to put them on all my VW Jettas. I don't have one on my '96 VW Passat, because I can't find a place to put it.

I think 'spigot' is the word you want. It's one of those that you can't find because they don't spell anything like the way they pronounce.

Anyway, it's a sampling valve, and I have one of them on my Dodge to make oil sampling easier - very easy, actually. I've also got a pre/post-luber on my Dodge with a quick-disconnect. To change the oil (which doesn't happen often) you pop the quick-disconnect, stick the hose in a (big) bucket, and turn the key on and off.

Good to hear from you again,

Mark

/ Welcome to Oil & Lubricants #16  
OK, got to jump in here. First, welcome to Bill Cook - I thought we lost you with the forum change, and I am glad we didn't. Second, I have to update anyone interested in my earlier post called "Yuck" in which I thought my new amsoil had flecks of stuff in it, then realised that it most likely was just air bubbles, then finally realised that it certainly was just air bubbles. I did end up mailing a sample to the tech department at Amsoil, and they responded with not only a phone call but a written report confirming what I suspected - both my oil and my head have air in them, and nothing else. This not only set my mind to ease officially, but allowed me to make the following observations.
- name another company where you, a no name customer ( I have given Amsoil all of $19.10 of my hard earned money so far) can not only call the company (which I did), but get through to them right away (which I did), talk directly to the head of tech support (Ron, a nice guy), have the head of tech support talk to the CHIEF SCIENTIIST IN CHARGE OF QUALITY CONTROL (which he did), have the company rep then get back to you by e-mail and phone the same day you called them (which Ron did), and then test my oil at no charge to me, send me a written report, and a follow-up phone call just to be sure I understood the written report, which confirmed that I was worried about nothing all along! All of this happened to me, and has made me a diehard fan of the Amsoil company. I think their products are of excellent quality based upon what I ave read and heard, but I KNOW that the company is top shelf in terms of customer support based on my personal experiences. To me, this is how a company should run, and that if nothing else more than deserves my dollars. Try calling Texaco or Kubota and ask to talk to the chief of R and D just because you think you might have a question, or ask if the guy who designed Super UDT might have a few minutes to talk to you about the specifications of the product. See how far that will get you. With Amsoil you can do all that, and they have certainly won me over as a customer from now on.

/ Welcome to Oil & Lubricants #17  
PaulB - thanks for the comments. I've had nothing but excellent results with them in all my dealings with them. Most guys on this board will find this hard to believe, but I actually "hold back" on most of my comments on Amsoil as a company and a product, knowing that most will consider the fact that I'm a dealer as evidence of mercenary intentions and not believe that I've never made a dime of profit selling it. Sometimes I wish I'd never gone the dealer route and just paid retail for it, because of the damage it seems to do to my credibility. So, for me, it's something of a vindication to have someone else report such fine experiences. It's good stuff and they're good people.

Mark

/ Welcome to Oil & Lubricants #18  
Mark,

You're a dealer and you don't make any money? Do you sell to others for no profit or only use it yourself?

No sarcasm intended, just curious! JimBinMI

/ Welcome to Oil & Lubricants #19  
Yes, yes, and no. Not being facetious, just answering your three questions. (I didn't become a dealer to sell to others, but to get the stuff at dealer prices. Then, when I started telling others about the results I was getting, they wanted it, too - so I started selling it to them for what I paid for it. That's the whole story, the short version.

Mark

/ Welcome to Oil & Lubricants #20  
Mark, I am still around. Right now I am trying to get my pass word to work and have been playing email tag with Muhammad. I think I just may have found the problem though, do I have to re-register on this board, or does my old registration on the old board carry over? Anyway, I am finding it tougher to get around on this board and just haven't take the time to sit down and learn the new system. Funny, in college my minor was in computers. Don't be too impressed, this means I was pretty fair about writing simple programs in Cobol and Fortan on IBM punch cards and then running them through a card reader. Geeze have things changed!

Thanks for the info on the oil filters. Where did you mount the double filter on your Dodge? I know one filter will be the Amsoil filter, what brand do you use for the other? Also can you better explain how you drain the oil, I didn't get a good mental picture.

PaulB, one little note; In your above post you said you thought you had "stuff" in you oil. Wasn't your actual discription "owl poop" :)