Welder / Wiring for Small Garage

/ Welder / Wiring for Small Garage #71  
Think so worked telecommunications for 38 years and everything from 26 gauge to 750,000 CM... And I can read the spec provided by welder manufacturer...

hold on, you are aware that #10 wire is larger and carries more current than #14 right?

Last edited:
   / Welder / Wiring for Small Garage #72  
Think so worked telecommunications for 38 years and everything for 30 gauge to 750,000 CM... And I can read the spec provided by welder manufacturer...
i guess i'm confused about your point?
are you objecting that i gave advice that exceeded the min requirements for this specific equipment?
for the record i acknowledge that the min requirements for this equipment are as low as #14 wire for specific conditions (that i have no way of knowing for sure), i still would recommend #10 wire and a 30 amp CB.

/ Welder / Wiring for Small Garage #73  
I am not objecting to anything.... Just referencing minimum requirement the welder manual states..... Which also makes reference to NEC sections...

Last edited:
   / Welder / Wiring for Small Garage #75  
I would run awg 6. You won't regret it when you buy the next toy and find out you need a little more power. I ran #2 to my shop but it is 130' from the house and I have added numerous circuits since I originally wired it.

/ Welder / Wiring for Small Garage #76  
I would run awg 6. You won't regret it when you buy the next toy and find out you need a little more power. I ran #2 to my shop but it is 130' from the house and I have added numerous circuits since I originally wired it.
Having more capacity sounds good, but the original post said he already had 50 amp service with #6 to the building and is just adding a circuit for the welder. If you are installing a 30 amp breaker for the welder circuit, anything larger than #10 is just wasted money and added difficulty in handling the larger wire.

/ Welder / Wiring for Small Garage #77  
Having more capacity sounds good, but the original post said he already had 50 amp service with #6 to the building and is just adding a circuit for the welder. If you are installing a 30 amp breaker for the welder circuit, anything larger than #10 is just wasted money and added difficulty in handling the larger wire.
I agree with what you said but laughing at myself because i just talked myself into installing 3/0 for my service, it was a PITA, had to borrow a set of ratcheting cutters to cut it and forget about bending it neatly

/ Welder / Wiring for Small Garage #78  
Just brainstorming ... if a future EV would be charged near the far end of this cable run, then more wire capacity now might be a good idea.

/ Welder / Wiring for Small Garage #79  
After the wheel fell off of by canoe, you asked how many birds will fit in a dog house, I say well it doesn't matter because a fish doesn't have feathers.

Just trying to add a little humor!

Boy that was a long one.

/ Welder / Wiring for Small Garage
Haha 😀

Well life happens wind storms that make us have to replace the roof and vacation.

Also, my around to it needs to get back in gear. 🤪

That said I’m sticking with what I outlined.