Welding up shooting targets?

/ Welding up shooting targets? #11  
I agree, do it right and get the hardened steel. But dang, you really were piercing 1/2in steel plate at 100 yards? Impressive.

The 25/06 is not listed as a magnum put has magnum performance. I was using 100 gr Nosler BT bullets at 3300 fps in a hand-load. Extremely accurate.

The small diameter (.257) of the bullet gives excellent penetration. On a straight-on large deer at 50 yards it entered the chest and ended up in the right flank with excellent mushrooming.

I was shocked at how it performed on steel at 100 yards. But I did only take one shot. I figured holes in paper targets were just as good as holes in steel.

/ Welding up shooting targets? #12  
On my range which is used by my family and a select few friends I have several steel targets made from bush hog blades, axe heads scrap steel drops etc. They all are hung on an angle so as to deflect the bullets and most are attached to heavy chain to allow them to swing. We shoot most any caliber and any range up to approximately 150 feet, rifle or pistol. have had a lot of fun with these targets and if a hole happens to appear we weld it closed and remount and it's back in service. The thicknesses range from a quarter inch on up to about a half inch or more and because they swing when hit, little damage occurs.

/ Welding up shooting targets?
Hi all, thanks for the info. You've given me the starting point for researching materials. Millerwelds forum has some info also. With me the more I learn, the less I really know..lol.
BTW, Checkout grizzleytargets.com

/ Welding up shooting targets? #14  
AR500 at 1/2" suspended so that the target has some give to it and angled toward you. I allow only lead bullets or powder coated lead bullets. No jackets to deflect wildly or to pit the slick steel surfaces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfDoQwIAaXg

prs

/ Welding up shooting targets? #15  
There was a guy on Youtube (lot of stories start that way), that was shooting a variety of rifle calibers and bullet designs into different thicknesses of steel that was kind of neat. I think it was 5.56, 7.62x39 and .308 from 100 yds, and I don't recall what type(s) of steel he used, but to stop the .308 it took 3/4" of thickness from such a close range. Don't know if it helps, but it was/is an interesting watch that might give you some ideas. I wouldn't go out and buy armor plate to shoot at--just go thicker than your research shows your best penetrator requires. 25/06 is a smoking fast round with a small cross-section--going through 1/2" of mild steel at 100 yds doesn't surprise me a bit.

/ Welding up shooting targets?
Nothing welding related...but I've been having fun with making shotgun clays into reactive pistol targets. Welding up some steel (safe/correctly) seemed like the next step. I will share my drawing plans first, before I start to fab any metal.

/ Welding up shooting targets? #17  
A local gun dealer said he use to shoot an old cow bell with 22s. When the family switched to .223s he had to make his own bell. I've thought about making one so the GF can see and hear when she hits the target but just haven't gotten around to it. Right now she's only shooting the 22 but once I get around to picking up an AR she could move up to shooting that.

/ Welding up shooting targets? #19  
Pics of one of my metal targets. The 6" round 1/4" thick plates were surplus from a wood stove manufacturer I got over 20 years ago. The 1" flat steel was welded when I got them. I welded 3/4" square tube on one end of the flat stock so the plates would hang at an angle. I only allow .22 LR to be used on them.

Pics:

IMG_20150525_163401424%20Large_zpsb38jwtyt.jpg

IMG_20150525_163414510%20Large_zpsg0dxl5ce.jpg

IMG_20150525_163428727%20Large_zpswyu2gm6p.jpg

/ Welding up shooting targets? #20  
Pics of one of my metal targets. The 6" round 1/4" thick plates were surplus from a wood stove manufacturer I got over 20 years ago. The 1" flat steel was welded when I got them. I welded 3/4" square tube on one end of the flat stock so the plates would hang at an angle. I only allow .22 LR to be used on them.

Pics:

IMG_20150525_163401424%20Large_zpsb38jwtyt.jpg

IMG_20150525_163414510%20Large_zpsg0dxl5ce.jpg

IMG_20150525_163428727%20Large_zpswyu2gm6p.jpg