Welding up shooting targets?

/ Welding up shooting targets?
Sure, I'll try to get a pic this WEnd. I wanted to combine my interest in welding and enjoy some range time with an interesting, reactive portable target. Plus I just purchased a new factory Mossberg 590A1, with Magpul furniture. Haha..can I say wanting some fun with 12g slugs......!��

/ Welding up shooting targets? #23  
Sure, I'll try to get a pic this WEnd. I wanted to combine my interest in welding and enjoy some range time with an interesting, reactive portable target. Plus I just purchased a new factory Mossberg 590A1, with Magpul furniture. Haha..can I say wanting some fun with 12g slugs......!��

I have shot some slugs in my time, and maybe it is just me, but I cannot ever remember thinking that shooting slugs was really really fun. The recoil even with my semi-auto Remington 1100 is kinda stiff. Maybe I am just a pansy in my old age, and I can shoot AA birdshot loads all day, but 3 or 4 slugs and I am all done.. oww...:sorry:

/ Welding up shooting targets?
I have shot some slugs in my time, and maybe it is just me, but I cannot ever remember thinking that shooting slugs was really really fun. The recoil even with my semi-auto Remington 1100 is kinda stiff. Maybe I am just a pansy in my old age, and I can shoot AA birdshot loads all day, but 3 or 4 slugs and I am all done.. oww...:sorry:
No you're not...I'm with you..newbie here, now that you called me out....I wearing my fake mustache to the range.....lol

/ Welding up shooting targets? #25  
AR500 at 1/2" suspended so that the target has some give to it and angled toward you. I allow only lead bullets or powder coated lead bullets. No jackets to deflect wildly or to pit the slick steel surfaces. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfDoQwIAaXg prs
Certain jacked bullets are ok. The speed has more to do with it than anything. The lead bullets with a coper plating are ok. I can crater a plate with a 22 hornet firing a 40 grain bullet, but a 45/70 firing a 550 grain bullet doesn't hurt them. Almost all pistol rounds are ok.

/ Welding up shooting targets? #26  
There was a guy on Youtube (lot of stories start that way), that was shooting a variety of rifle calibers and bullet designs into different thicknesses of steel that was kind of neat. I think it was 5.56, 7.62x39 and .308 from 100 yds, and I don't recall what type(s) of steel he used, but to stop the .308 it took 3/4" of thickness from such a close range. Don't know if it helps, but it was/is an interesting watch that might give you some ideas. I wouldn't go out and buy armor plate to shoot at--just go thicker than your research shows your best penetrator requires. 25/06 is a smoking fast round with a small cross-section--going through 1/2" of mild steel at 100 yds doesn't surprise me a bit.
If it takes 3/4 inch steel to stop a .308, I'd like to see what my .375 JDJ will do. Here is a picture. A .308 is on the left and a .375 on the right.

image-1375424745.jpg

/ Welding up shooting targets? #27  
If it takes 3/4 inch steel to stop a .308, I'd like to see what my .375 JDJ will do. Here is a picture. A .308 is on the left and a .375 on the right.

View attachment 454445

I have fired exactly 2 rounds of .375 JDJ in a Contender frame. I handed it back to the owner. That dang thing hurt my tender little wrist something fierce. I know, I know, I am a big wussy.. maybe so, but that contender pushes the rather severe recoil right straight back into your wrist, and was darn uncomfortable. If this wasn't a "family channel" I would use more descriptive language.:)

/ Welding up shooting targets? #28  
I have fired exactly 2 rounds of .375 JDJ in a Contender frame. I handed it back to the owner. That dang thing hurt my tender little wrist something fierce. I know, I know, I am a big wussy.. maybe so, but that contender pushes the rather severe recoil right straight back into your wrist, and was darn uncomfortable. If this wasn't a "family channel" I would use more descriptive language.:)
Mine is also in a Contender frame. I guess I'm a big wussy too, because I have never toughened up and shot it. My 454 casull with baby loads is enough of a handful.

/ Welding up shooting targets? #29  
Mine is also in a Contender frame. I guess I'm a big wussy too, because I have never toughened up and shot it. My 454 casull with baby loads is enough of a handful.

Well, prepare for pain my friend. It hurts!. At least from my point of view. .454 Casull with moderate loads is a big fluffy pussycat. No comparison to that invention of Satan's called a .375 JDJ.:D

/ Welding up shooting targets? #30  
Are you sure you weren't shooting 45 colt shells in a 454 casull gun? A 454 casull ain't a big fluffy pussycat. It makes a 44 magnum look like a little girls gun.