Well… that was stupid…

/ Well… that was stupid… #91  
It's also a one-time use on that saw. They demonstrate it by sticking a hot dog into the blade and it STOPS immediately without cutting the hot dog. But the motor and mechanism has to be replaced.
This is an early post on Saw-stop... prevents cutting body parts. From their web site...

• Resetting the saw yourself is easy. Simply inspect the blade (and change if damaged) and replace the brake cartridge, and your saw is operational.
  • The entire process takes 90 seconds and you’re back to work.

/ Well… that was stupid… #92  
This is an early post on Saw-stop... prevents cutting body parts. From their web site...

• Resetting the saw yourself is easy. Simply inspect the blade (and change if damaged) and replace the brake cartridge, and your saw is operational.
  • The entire process takes 90 seconds and you’re back to work.
I remember when SawStop first came out, I saw it being demo'd at a trade show in the late 1990's or ca.2000. Very cool concept, and quite violent when the thing brings a 3450 rpm blade to a dead stop with less than 1/2" of travel at the tip of a 10" blade. The blade tip is moving about 150 feet per second (unloaded), and if stopping the thing within the fractional-inch required to save a finger, it's something like 0.27 milliseconds top stop in 1/2 inch of tip travel. Double that for 1/4 inch, and so on.

I work in high frequency electronics, so milliseconds are slow in my world, but awful fast when talking about stopping a 4 lb. blade spinning on a 10 lb. motor spindle. We often talk about 100 mph to zero stopping distances and times in cars. Here we're talking better than 0.0002 seconds and less than 1/2 inch for 102 mph to zero. Damn!

Last edited:
   / Well… that was stupid… #93  
I watched a demo of Saw Stop on a radial arm saw at a trade show last year. The demonstrator stuffed a hot dog into the spinning blade and it did indeed stop with a loud bang. there was barely a nick in the hotdog.

I told him I would buy one on the spot if he tried it using his finger. He wouldn't do it. I guess he didn't need the sale that badly. :rolleyes:

/ Well… that was stupid… #94  
I watched a demo of Saw Stop on a radial arm saw at a trade show last year. The demonstrator stuffed a hot dog into the spinning blade and it did indeed stop with a loud bang. there was barely a nick in the hotdog.

I told him I would buy one on the spot if he tried it using his finger. He wouldn't do it. I guess he didn't need the sale that badly. :rolleyes:
My 20 year old memory could be fooling me, but I seem to recall the owner/inventor/engineer actually doing this once or twice, way back when they were first launching the product.

/ Well… that was stupid… #95  
My 20 year old memory could be fooling me, but I seem to recall the owner/inventor/engineer actually doing this once or twice, way back when they were first launching the product.
At 3:58 in the video.
Dunno if I call that faith in your product or stupid but I know I wouldn't do it.

/ Well… that was stupid… #97  
Do you mean like giving your SS # on television, to advertise how effective your product is against Identity theft?
I think I'd rather test the Saw Stop :)

/ Well… that was stupid… #98  
   / Well… that was stupid… #100  

Ah, but in an alternate universe, he does indeed do it! You're floored frankly, you're like, this dude definitely deserves a raise.

So yes, you do indeed buy it on the spot, and as you're walking away with your Saw Stop, you turn back and say, "Hey man, what's your name anyways?"

And he replies, "Oh me, I'm Fuddyduddy."