Well… that was stupid…

/ Well… that was stupid… #104  
AND featherboards! Very useful things and not expensive either.
Agreed on use of feather boards, but I usually make my own from a scrap of wood, which actually work nicer than any of the plastic purchased ones I've ever owned. A scrap of 1x6 pine and a clamp or two is all you need to make your own.

/ Well… that was stupid… #105  
Another classic workplace safety lesson ……….

This brick mason was involved in a on site accident and had to fill out this report for the accident.

Dear Sir:
I am writing in response to your request for additional information in Block 3 of the Accident form. I put "poor planning" as the cause of my accident. You asked for fuller explanation, and I trust the following details will be sufficeint.

I was alone on the roof of the new six-story building. When I completed my work, I found that I had some bricks left over which, when weighed later, were found to be slightly more than 500 lbs. Rather than carry the bricks down by hand, I decided to lower them in a barrel by using a pulley that was attached to the side of the building on the sixth floor.

I secured the rope at ground level, climbed to the roof, swung the barrel out, and loaded the bricks into it. Then I climbed back down and untied the rope, holding tightly to ensure a slow descent of the bricks.

You will notice in Block 11 of the accident report form that I weigh 135 lbs. Due to my surprise at being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope. Needless to say, I procceeded at a rapid rate up the side of the building.

Somewhere in the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel, which was now procceeding downward at an equally impressive speed. This explains the fractured skull and the broken collar bone, as listed in section 3 of the accident form.

Slowed down slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until the fingers on my right hand were two knuckles deep into the pulley.

Fortunately, by this time I had regained my presence of mind and was able to hold tightly to the rope in spite of beginning to experience a great deal of pain. At approximately the same time, however, the barrel of bricks hit the ground and the bottom fell out of the barrel. Now devoid of the weight of the bricks, the barrel weighed approximately 50 lbs.

(I refer you again to my weight.)

As you can imagine, I began a rapid descent down the side of the building. Somewhere in the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel coming up. This accounts for the two fractured ankles, the broken tooth, and the lacerations of my legs and lower body.

Here my luck began to change slightly. The encounter with the barrel seemed to slow me enough to lessen my injuries when I fell on the pile of bricks, fortunately, only three vertebrae were cracked.

I am sorry to report, however, that as I lay there on the pile of bricks-in pain and unable to move-I again lost my composure and presence of mind and let go of the rope. I could only lay there watching as the empty barrel begin its journey back down towards me. This explains the two broken legs.

I hope this answers your questions.

Sincerely

Last edited:
   / Well… that was stupid… #106  

This brick mason was involved in a on site accident and had to fill out this report for the accident.

Dear Sir:
I am writing in response to your request for additional information in Block 3 of the Accident form. I put "poor planning" as the cause of my accident. You asked for fuller explanation, and I trust the following details will be sufficeint.

I was alone on the roof of the new six-story building. When I completed my work, I found that I had some bricks left over which, when weighed later, were found to be slightly more than 500 lbs. Rather than carry the bricks down by hand, I decided to lower them in a barrel by using a pulley that was attached to the side of the building on the sixth floor.

I secured the rope at ground level, climbed to the roof, swung the barrel out, and loaded the bricks into it. Then I climbed back down and untied the rope, holding tightly to ensure a slow descent of the bricks.

You will notice in Block 11 of the accident report from that I weigh 135 lbs. Due to my surprise at being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope. Needless to say, I procceeded at a rapid rate up the side of the building.

Somewhere in the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel, which was now procceeding downward at an equally impressive speed. This explains the fractured skull and the broken collar bone, as listed in section 3 of the accident form.

Slowed down slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until the fingers on my right hand were two knuckles deep into the pulley.

Fortunately, by this time I had regained my presence of mind and was able to hold tightly to the rope in spite of beginning to experience a great deal of pain. At approximately the same time, however, the barrel of bricks hit the ground and the bottom fell out of the barrel. Now devoid of the weight of the bricks, the barrel weighed approximately 50 lbs.

As you can imagine, I began a rapid descent down the side of the building. Somewhere in the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel coming up. This accounts for the two fractured ankles, the broken tooth, and the lacerations of my legs and lower body.

Here my luck began to change slightly. The encounter with the barrel seemed to slow me enough to lessen my injuries when I fell on the pile of bricks, fortunately, only three vertebrae were cracked.

I am sorry to report, however, that as I lay there on the pile of bricks-in pain and unable to move-I again lost my composure and presence of mind and let go of the rope. I could only lay there watching as the empty barrel begin its journey back down towards me. This explains the two broken legs.

Sincerely
I believe this was copied from a dictionary under the term "bad day"...
David from jax

/ Well… that was stupid… #107  

Dear Sir:

You will notice in Block 11 of the accident report from that I weigh 135 lbs. Due to my surprise at being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope. Needless to say, I procceeded at a rapid rate up the side of the building.

Sincerely
Too bad nobody made a movie of that fiasco. You'd be a broken up battered millionaire today! Hopefully you mostly recovered from the array of injuries.

/ Well… that was stupid… #108  
My dark humor, imagination, and having worked in the trades made me laugh envisioning the plausibility of that unfortunate incident.

/ Well… that was stupid… #109  
Agreed on use of feather boards, but I usually make my own from a scrap of wood, which actually work nicer than any of the plastic purchased ones I've ever owned. A scrap of 1x6 pine and a clamp or two is all you need to make your own.
Absolutely.
It's impossible to cut your finger if you never get within 5"-6" of the blade.
Of course never wear loose clothing and unplug saw every time making adjustments and not in use. Mine is only plugged in right before I make a cut...then unplug.
And never ever get your hootie close...even with Sawstop!

/ Well… that was stupid… #110  

Dear Sir:

Sincerely
Yours truly,
Wyle E. Coyote.
IMG_1845.jpeg