Well… that was stupid…

/ Well… that was stupid… #111  
Another classic workplace safety lesson ……….

This brick mason was involved in a on site accident and had to fill out this report for the accident.

Dear Sir:
I am writing in response to your request for additional information in Block 3 of the Accident form. I put "poor planning" as the cause of my accident. You asked for fuller explanation, and I trust the following details will be sufficeint.

I was alone on the roof of the new six-story building. When I completed my work, I found that I had some bricks left over which, when weighed later, were found to be slightly more than 500 lbs. Rather than carry the bricks down by hand, I decided to lower them in a barrel by using a pulley that was attached to the side of the building on the sixth floor.

I secured the rope at ground level, climbed to the roof, swung the barrel out, and loaded the bricks into it. Then I climbed back down and untied the rope, holding tightly to ensure a slow descent of the bricks.

You will notice in Block 11 of the accident report from that I weigh 135 lbs. Due to my surprise at being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope. Needless to say, I procceeded at a rapid rate up the side of the building.

Somewhere in the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel, which was now procceeding downward at an equally impressive speed. This explains the fractured skull and the broken collar bone, as listed in section 3 of the accident form.

Slowed down slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until the fingers on my right hand were two knuckles deep into the pulley.

Fortunately, by this time I had regained my presence of mind and was able to hold tightly to the rope in spite of beginning to experience a great deal of pain. At approximately the same time, however, the barrel of bricks hit the ground and the bottom fell out of the barrel. Now devoid of the weight of the bricks, the barrel weighed approximately 50 lbs.

(I refer you again to my weight.)

As you can imagine, I began a rapid descent down the side of the building. Somewhere in the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel coming up. This accounts for the two fractured ankles, the broken tooth, and the lacerations of my legs and lower body.

Here my luck began to change slightly. The encounter with the barrel seemed to slow me enough to lessen my injuries when I fell on the pile of bricks, fortunately, only three vertebrae were cracked.

I am sorry to report, however, that as I lay there on the pile of bricks-in pain and unable to move-I again lost my composure and presence of mind and let go of the rope. I could only lay there watching as the empty barrel begin its journey back down towards me. This explains the two broken legs.

I hope this answers your questions.

Sincerely
I've been watching a lot of classic Road Runner / Wiley Coyote cartoons with my 10 year old, and this one almost reads like a script to some of Wiley Coyote's bits.

Oops, just saw Jethro beat me to it!

/ Well… that was stupid… #113  
How I spent my summer about 40 years ago; I was breaking a concrete slab with an air powered jackhammer. Working next to a three foot high wall, I suddenly broke though the concrete in an area that was being quite resistant. Broke my little finger on my left hand. I put a splint on it and continued to finish breaking up the concrete in order to get the rented hammer/compressor back to the rental agency. Never did go to the ER.

A day or so later, I was playing volley ball at a picnic. The action was moving along at a fast pace when the ball came at me. The way I hit the ball with my clenched hand snapped my little finger on my right hand. My host helped me splint it up. I dropped out of the game but again, never bothered to go to the ER.

My little fingers are a bit bent but still there so there is that.

/ Well… that was stupid… #114  
How I spent my summer about 40 years ago; I was breaking a concrete slab with an air powered jackhammer. Working next to a three foot high wall, I suddenly broke though the concrete in an area that was being quite resistant. Broke my little finger on my left hand. I put a splint on it and continued to finish breaking up the concrete in order to get the rented hammer/compressor back to the rental agency. Never did go to the ER.

A day or so later, I was playing volley ball at a picnic. The action was moving along at a fast pace when the ball came at me. The way I hit the ball with my clenched hand snapped my little finger on my right hand. My host helped me splint it up. I dropped out of the game but again, never bothered to go to the ER.

My little fingers are a bit bent but still there so there is that.
My wife broke a pinky finger and refused medical treatment. :rolleyes: Today it's a crooked claw that won't open or grip properly. Her hands.
Mine would have gotten the best treatment possible because I depend upon them for everything I do.

/ Well… that was stupid… #116  
My wife broke a pinky finger and refused medical treatment. :rolleyes: Today it's a crooked claw that won't open or grip properly. Her hands.
Mine would have gotten the best treatment possible because I depend upon them for everything I do.
Did the same with one of my big toes, the one that went to market. Broke it good in a cycling accident as a teen, and never went to the hospital. Now today, 35 years later, one of my big toes sometimes really aches for no good reason. It leaves me wondering if it's the one I broke, and if that's the reason for the unexplained ache.

I was the kid always in one cast or another, had several broken bones from age 8 up thru 18, even two compound. It's a feeling that once you've had the pleasure a few times, you will never have any doubt when a bone has been broken through. I hate that feeling.

/ Well… that was stupid… #117  
I got a broken pinkie sorta tale too. A few years back, I was moving my Massey's mower deck, that thing is like a beast, and it started falling (I had it on a stand, standing up). So I grabbed it wrong, my left pinkie got hooked under the deck, and got pulled sideways like away from my other fingers. Sharp pain at the side of my palm, but everything looked alright, I could make a fist and all that, so I didn't think much of it. A few days later, my wife and I were goofing around, and she went to kick me playfully, and my left hand's pinkie was in perfect position to catch that kick exactly the same way it got caught with the mower deck. Even sharper pain, and this time hand started swelling. I could still make a fist, but something felt like it was "clicking" in that pinkie metacarpal. I still didn't make too much off that, popped naproxen for a few days as I watched that swelling turn to a nice shade of blue. Finally, I went to the ER, x-ray showed a broken metacarpal. The doc thought that I got a hairline fracture from the mower deck, and then my wife's kick finished it off into a full fracture. I have that date on my calendar, so for the last 3 years or so I always remind my wife on that day that SHE HURT ME!!! :ROFLMAO:

/ Well… that was stupid… #118  
I got my pinky facing the wrong way playing basketball.

Hard pass went through my hand, pinky was moved over.
Asked coach to snap it back, he turned white and refused.
So I pulled it back and moved it back into place and the whole team turned white.
Still works fine 40+ years later.

I do have a broken toe (did that more than once) that healed up slightly turned.

and a long titanium rod and screws in my arm from a mountain biking accident.

Don't put your arms out after sliding on ice on a bridge that uses fencing for the sides.
Dr. told me the only reason my arm was still attached was due to the many layers of clothing I had on.

I started on PT at a place, they weren't going fast enough for me, so I picked up my bike and went out for many hard rides. was at over 90% motion by the end of the year.

One piece of bone in my arm could not be reconnected, felt weird for years floating around in there.

/ Well… that was stupid… #119  
I got my pinky facing the wrong way playing basketball.

Hard pass went through my hand, pinky was moved over.
Asked coach to snap it back, he turned white and refused.
So I pulled it back and moved it back into place and the whole team turned white.
Still works fine 40+ years later.

I do have a broken toe (did that more than once) that healed up slightly turned.

and a long titanium rod and screws in my arm from a mountain biking accident.

Don't put your arms out after sliding on ice on a bridge that uses fencing for the sides.
Dr. told me the only reason my arm was still attached was due to the many layers of clothing I had on.

I started on PT at a place, they weren't going fast enough for me, so I picked up my bike and went out for many hard rides. was at over 90% motion by the end of the year.

One piece of bone in my arm could not be reconnected, felt weird for years floating around in there.
OOoooooouch! Dang that would all hurt.