What animal eats yellow jacket nests?

/ What animal eats yellow jacket nests? #21  
It must be part of the genetics for the breed. I have two German Short-hairs. They entertain themselves by chasing any flying critters, bees included, and chomping down on them if they can catch them. Getting stung doesn't seem to teach them anything. This time of year, they literally wear themselves out chasing grasshoppers. They finally tire the flying grasshopper and when it gets close enough they jump up and are rewarded by the treat.

/ What animal eats yellow jacket nests? #23  
I've seen crows take larvae out. The very best antedote that I have found for yellow jackets is brake clean. I have stood 8 ft away and hit the guards and they fall to the ground and as I walk up to the nest with the spray going right at the hole they just come out and fall to the gtound. The spray vaporizes the wings. The nest will rumble a bit, but soon all is quiet. I have done this more than once and it works great. Using raid and other bee killers will kill, but not at the point of contact like brake clean. At first I put on a full face motorcycle helmet, a heavy coat and gloves and that is probably good advice, but I have found this to be so effective that I don't bother anymore. Have fun, the best part is that the nest is not tore up and some folks like to display them.

/ What animal eats yellow jacket nests? #24  
Diesel fuel in a pressure sprayer works great but do it after dark when they are all in the nest. If the nest is up high use carb& choke cleaner and also do it after dark.(Spray can)

/ What animal eats yellow jacket nests? #25  
I've done the gasoline in the ground nest before .Light it then put a shovel in the ground and open it up . The oxigin then makes the nest burn quick .Do this at night !
Lately , with nests in the ground,I've been useing a powder you get at any garden store. Seven dust. Sprinkle at the opening , the bees carry it in on their feet and it kills the whole nest .Takes a couple of days but works well.

/ What animal eats yellow jacket nests? #26  
I've been using the gasoline in the ground for years. Never light it, for it kills them anyway. I've had some good ones here. Got all of them gone now, as least for the time being. I use Vinagar and sugar and water in a jug, and now haven't seen any for a long time, at least not any to speak of in the last couple of years. I like it that way. Fact is I didn't even use the jug this year not need to, no problem. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ What animal eats yellow jacket nests? #27  
"Although many animals prey on social wasps (including birds, reptiles, amphibians, skunks, bears, raccoons, spiders, preying mantids, and bald-faced hornets), none provides satisfactory biological control in home situations."
see: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7450.html#IDENTIFICATION

I like the simple soultion Dick has posted, and intend on giving it a try:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=rural&Number=307556&Forum=All_Forums&Words=milk%20jug&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=306996&Search=true#Post307556

I just found this:
http://www.ent.orst.edu/urban/Yellow%20Jackets.html
Sounds like a contraption similar to Dick's description.

Regards,
Paul

/ What animal eats yellow jacket nests? #28  
My Weimeraner would only go after porquipines... He killed 2 of them before he finally learned that the "prize" wasn't worth the pain. After he died, we got a German Shorthair Pointer and she would only bark at the porcupine, but never went after them. I would corner them and then put them into a metal garbage can and relocate them to a more rural area of town.... Now we have another Weimeraner and this one doesn't have any interest in any thing other than food.... Either the breed is getting smarter or dumber..... not sure which... Picture is of Kelsey the German Shorthair and her best friend the Dachshund, Molly. This was taken just a short time before she passed away.. I miss her.

Attachments

• 323935-Kelsey&Molly.jpg
    323935-Kelsey&Molly.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,235
   / What animal eats yellow jacket nests? #29  
me with a beer and a lawnchair in one hand...and a torch in the other ..maybe a coke can of gas too....but only after its dark!!!!!!!...i hate those things and love to watchem BURN BABY BURN!!!!!!!!!!! FULL FLEDGED MEMBA OF THE KBKC
!!!!!!! THATS KILLER BEE KILLIN CLUB!!!.......and u guys thought i 'd leave that abbrev. open 4 comment....nice try tho!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ What animal eats yellow jacket nests? #30  
If you have a ground nest wait till dark. Then get a flashlight and some honey in a squeeze bottle. Go out to the entrance hole and pour in the honey spilling some on the ground around the entrance hole as well. Skunks and other critters will smell that spilled honey a mile away and dig up the yellow jackets for you just to get to the source of the honey that they think is in the ground. It makes the job a lot easier!