WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY ?

/ WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY ? #551  
Cut all my grass...maybe one more time before winter...I made a deal with a neighbor down the road to cut my pastures and fertilize them in return for him keeping the hay and me not having to drive my tractor 25 min each way to the farm to just bush hog it....It seems no one around here cuts hay for shares...I even advertised it for free on Craig's List here locally and no takers....then this neighbor down the road and I got to talking and struck the deal..

I see posts on here about shares...but that does not seem to work around here...I feel lucky just to get someone else to cut it and give me a break after 30 + yrs. of doing it...:)

/ WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY ? #553  
Cleaned the chimney, wanted to clean the furnace but my ailing father complained he was cold so I lit it up. Maybe I can get it done tomorrow while he's at therapy. Work in .gov office so I get a holiday. My weekend has consisted of painting new windows, repairs to the roof, cleaning the chimney, filling some carpenter bee holes in the barn, moving a bunch of "stuff" to the second floor of the barn. Should probably toss most of it, but I'll wait until I'm sure nobody is looking before it goes poof. Tomorrow I hope to clean the furnace, sort out and reduce the items I carted in from storage. Most will get tossed, few have monetary value. Some will be put on the shelf because I could use them.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll get some time on the range.

/ WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY ? #554  
YESTERDAY:

Trimmed a tree via the roof:

548725_428771290513041_1573720149_n.jpg

/ WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY ? #555  
Yesterday I went and picked up 7 ducks (3 layers to keep & 4 male mallards to let loose in the pond and see if they migrate) and 3 barred rock hens from a buddy who is downsizing due to his first baby arriving soon. My girls are thrilled. I also started clearing the perimeter trail using my FS-90 with the metal brush cutter blade. That thing is a monster on saplings! I need to finish clearing the trail and put up new "no-tresspassing" signs. I also met the new neighbor, seems "Old Billy" passed away and these new folks moved in in February. He was out squirrel hunting and waved me down so we could chat. Nice fellow.

Be well all.
David

/ WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY ? #556  
Duplicate.

Be well all.
David

/ WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY ? #557  
Spread a truck load of road base yesterday morning. That afternoon I removed the rear mower and put it away for the winter. Got the rear mount blower installed and wired up the lights etc. Hope to get the doors remounted and turn the heat back on today.

/ WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY ? #558  
Duplicate.

Be well all.
David

You can delete a duplicate by going into "edit", then "go advanced" and then cancel or delete post on upper right.
Piece of cake.

/ WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY ? #559  
Yesterday after Church, I did some more trail clearing & sapling whacking... I LOVE my Stihl FS-90 with the metal brush cutter blade.

Mostly I'm whacking the gum tree saplings and clearing the trails so we can at least WALK through them for now. I had not checked the perimeter in a while and I was amazed at the growth.

I managed to drive my 2wd F-150 across the clearcut mulched "future pasture" and all the way back to a 3/4 acre circle clearcut which I think of as "Homestead" where someday I dream of building a dream home here on the property (it is the highest point on the property). The first 3 pics are from the homestead area. I did not have Lotscapes mulch all of it because I was running out of time. I plan to whack the secondary growth you can see and grind the stumps myself (someday). In the 3rd pic, if you zoom you can see a bit of my pasture fence and my popup camper parked next to the driveway.

I cleared the trail from the homestead out to the western perimeter trail when I had left of on Saturday. Then up to near the SW corer marker, and then back to the homestead and out to the southern perimeter trail. Then I drove mt F-150 down the Eastern perimeter trail, which I call the "Fire Road" because it is the biggest and best trail cleared by the forestry dept to fight a 2002 forest fire on my property (before I bought it). I did not take pix here. I had recently bush hogged all the way back to the point on the souther side where it becomes impassable. The spot where the neioghbors pond floods my property was completely dried out so I could cross it with my 2wd truck. After a 10 point turn around at the end, I went out and whacked the saplings and 2nd growth to clear along the southern end back to where I had cleared from the homestead. After that I just waded into the homestead clearing a path to another of the logging trails and cut across back to the truck. As I approached the truck my FS-90 ran out of gas so I quit.

The wife and my oldest daughter are not feeling well, so for Sunday dinner I made my own version of home-made semi scratch Chicken Cacciatore :licking: which was VERY WELL apreciated by the family. That is the last pic. 2 different noodles because some of my family are sensetive to wheat... Peppers, shrooms, and onions seperate beacue my middle daughter hates them... I was really only about 40 min late putting dinner on the table (and I fed the horses mid-way through cooking).

It was a good day.

Be well,
David

Attachments

• 2012-10-14 16.51.44.jpg
    2012-10-14 16.51.44.jpg
    639.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 2012-10-14 16.51.39.jpg
    2012-10-14 16.51.39.jpg
    769 KB · Views: 125
  • 2012-10-14 16.52.04.jpg
    2012-10-14 16.52.04.jpg
    615.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 2012-10-14 20.10.58.jpg
    2012-10-14 20.10.58.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 136
   / WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY ? #560  
Had to put one of our 14 year old dogs down. :( So to ease the pain I got the better half a pup.

Attachments

• blossom4.jpg
    blossom4.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 198