What do you use to insure good electrical contact?

/ What do you use to insure good electrical contact? #1  

pennwalk

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 186D
I have been having trouble starting the JD F525 front mower. When I turn the key I hear a click if I turn the key several times it will usually start if not I get out the jumper cables and it starts. The battery is 2 years old so I didn't think it was that. The dealer printed out a troubleshooting sheet. I was really hoping it wasn't the starter solenoid because those little jems are $175 for a gizmo the size of a shot glass. So I took the battery cables off and cleaned up every thing. I shot battery terminal cleaner on the cable ends and the terminals and contact cleaner on the wiring harness connectors. I put it all back together and it seems to be working. What can I put on the bolts and connectors to insure that they keep good electrical connection for as long as possible?

Chris

/ What do you use to insure good electrical contact? #2  
Man you could use something as simple as good thick axle grease, or buy you some electrical coating.. 3M makes a good "varnish" type of product just for this.. I sell it here at work.
I personally use the axle grease method..

/ What do you use to insure good electrical contact? #3  
Di-electric grease, although it won't solve your clicking issue, that is either a dying battery or starter solenoid.

/ What do you use to insure good electrical contact?
I was remembering the old day when we used to try to fix computers. Sometimes socketed chips would act up when the sockets would corrode. there was a contact enhancer liquid that would fix you up. I hoped there was something you could spray on and fix up the electrical connections.

Apparently the starter solenoid wants all 12 volts. After I got everything cleaned up it started.

Chris

/ What do you use to insure good electrical contact? #5  
For connectors and sockets I use dielectric grease or "bulb grease" as it's called at some auto parts stores. I also put it on the trailer connector on the truck. ANYTIME I replace a bulb, or open a connector it get coated with the grease. For battery terminals I use the spray's mention above. The axle grease method works but is messy and attracts dirt.

/ What do you use to insure good electrical contact? #6  
Plain old vaseline between post and connector and smeared on the clamps works pretty well. You can get little felt washers for under the terminal clamps and get some vaseline on them too. Much less corrosion away from battery.
Jim

/ What do you use to insure good electrical contact? #7  
You had a common battery contact corrosion problem. Grease and those little pads that go on the battery terminals will help.

/ What do you use to insure good electrical contact? #8  
Di-electric grease and those green and red felt washers should help a lot. Make sure that you put the right washer on the right battery post as they have different chemicals in them for positive and ground. Oh, and don't saturate them with grease or you negate the anti-corrosion chemicals....

/ What do you use to insure good electrical contact? #9  
all of the above answers are correct but for the clicking problem ive got an m8950 kubota that had the same problem and all it was is a 69cent part and 25 dollar labour bill to install it i would have done it myself but i was planning to get the starter rebuilt at a local shop when they told me what the problem was , typical problem with kubotas so if the problem continues just get the starter checked out with s dealer you trust

/ What do you use to insure good electrical contact? #10  
When using the dielectric grease, apply it after the electrical connnection has been made to produce a seal around it. For spade type connectors I apply it before connecting them. The dielectric grease is non-conductive, so if you get enough of it between the battery post and wiring connector, you will lose the mating surface as a conductor.
AFAIK anyway,
Dennis