What do you use to insure good electrical contact?

/ What do you use to insure good electrical contact? #21  
A few years back I was running a plant that made wire harnesses and lights for heavy duty truck OEM's and many of them required the application of "bulb grease" on their terminal connectors and bulbs. Our field reps found that most of the time when a light out in the field fails the bulb is still good but corrosion is interupting the contact. The grease did dramatically improve the reliability. I use it on all connectors, bulbs, and battery terminals.

/ What do you use to insure good electrical contact? #22  
[URL="[/URL]
pennwalk said:
Am I crazy? wouldn't you want conductive grease? Is vasaline conductive?

Chris
I can see youre thinking. The first thing is to get the good contact. The 2nd is to keep it. That sequence involves cleaning surfaces, then making the contact then preventing anything from getting into the contact area. The last will be where dielectric grease is totally appropriate. The formers are well addressed by sandpaper or a fiberglass bristle pen, then Caig deoxit wipes, then Conducto-Lube. Sometimes the D/O wipes will get you out of having to use the sandpaper.

www.cool-amp.com/conducto-lube.html

DeoxIT®

.....A little of this stuff goes a looong way. I recommend the C-Lube in a jar because the silver settles and you will be able to stir it.
larry

/ What do you use to insure good electrical contact? #23  
I've also used graphite laden grease.. or even neversieze to help make a good contact, then coat the exterior with grease.. etc.

soundguy