What do you use to insure good electrical contact?

/ What do you use to insure good electrical contact? #11  
I've been doing electrical repair for a couple decades... I like to use some sort of grease on electrical connections, where possible.

In ideal conditions where I got all my stuff and it's a paying job.. Dielectric grease is nice. Though in my experience, plain old chassie grease, vasolene, and dielectric grease all work just about the same when it comes down to the brass tacks....

Soundguy

/ What do you use to insure good electrical contact? #12  
Soundguy said:
I've been doing electrical repair for a couple decades... I like to use some sort of grease on electrical connections, where possible.

In ideal conditions where I got all my stuff and it's a paying job.. Dielectric grease is nice. Though in my experience, plain old chassie grease, vasolene, and dielectric grease all work just about the same when it comes down to the brass tacks....

Soundguy

Ditto that / with an addition my dad taught me, since what causes most of the corrosion on battery terminals is the sulfuric acid fumes generated when the battery is in charge state, mix about a teaspoonful of BAKING SODA with 2 or 3 teaspoons of grease or vaseline, then apply to your battery terminals, works good on other terminals but isn't necessary.
Always go back to basics on these problems ; check and clean and grease all terminals.

/ What do you use to insure good electrical contact? #13  
Soundguy said:

Soundguy

Right on!.

When I had my aircraft avionics shop, I was fortunate to meet the WD-40 rep at the time.

He told me that WD-40 was not corrosive, safe for electronics components.

With that info I cured many an old aircraft 'intermittant electronics snag' by simply liberally spraying WD-40 into connectors and 'making/breaking' the connections.

WE once had an old ('55 Cessna 310) that had miles of wire harnesses/connectors with multiple intermittant avionics snags.
Upon his instance (he literally refused to leave unless we helped him) agreed to have my man 'shotgun' a WD-40 attempt.
Note that due to the age of equipment we refused any guarantees as well as to not even attempt any unit repairs.
Also come what may he had to pay for our shop time! (all in writing!)

Well the 'shotgun WD-40' 'clean-up' worked so well that he flew from Montreal to Mexico return (on instruments)
with ALL the old equipment functioning as it should!

The WD-40 must have cured about 20 or so intermittant snags.
Bet we used 3-4 cans of spray as we'd basically flush out the connectors.

In a pinch, I also cleaned up contacts with lighter fluid and a Q-tip.

/ What do you use to insure good electrical contact? #14  
Soundguy said:

Soundguy

Right on!.

When I had my aircraft avionics shop, I was fortunate to meet the WD-40 rep at the time.

He told me that WD-40 was not corrosive, safe for electronics components.

With that info I cured many an old aircraft 'intermittant electronics snag' by simply liberally spraying WD-40 into connectors and 'making/breaking' the connections.

WE once had an old ('55 Cessna 310) that had miles of wire harnesses/connectors with multiple intermittant avionics snags.
Upon his instance (he literally refused to leave unless we helped him) agreed to have my man 'shotgun' a WD-40 attempt.
Note that due to the age of equipment we refused any guarantees as well as to not even attempt any unit repairs.
Also come what may he had to pay for our shop time! (all in writing!)

Well the 'shotgun WD-40' 'clean-up' worked so well that he flew from Montreal to Mexico return (on instruments)
with ALL the old equipment functioning as it should!

The WD-40 must have cured about 20 or so intermittant snags.
Bet we used 3-4 cans of spray as we'd basically flush out the connectors.

In a pinch, I also cleaned up contacts with lighter fluid and a Q-tip.

/ What do you use to insure good electrical contact?
Am I crazy? wouldn't you want conductive grease? Is vasaline conductive?

Chris

/ What do you use to insure good electrical contact? #16  
pennwalk said:

Chris

The grease is not to make an electrical connection, it is to prevent water, dirt and other materials/acids from getting to the connection. So, no you do not want a conductive grease.

/ What do you use to insure good electrical contact? #17  
pennwalk said:

Chris

Spoken like a true non-electronics person!

No sweat.. penn.. just yankin yer chain..... Dmace is right.. the dielectric grease itself keeps other things from reacting with your connections, that are in metal to metal contact.. that's where the conduction occurs.. etc.

soundguy

/ What do you use to insure good electrical contact? #18  
There is also the conductive grease used in household aluminum to copper connections.

Mike

/ What do you use to insure good electrical contact? #19  
Yep.. anti electrolysis type greases are common on dissimilar metal joints.. etc.

soundguy

/ What do you use to insure good electrical contact? #20  
I've been using Fluid Film for all these purposes. Clean up batteries and connections bright, and spray a small amount of FF on them. I squirt it into wire connectors, etc. It sort of bubbles or foams slightly, reaching nooks and crannies as is levels out. The lanolin stays put longer than oil sprays I've used too. It's not cheap and only available at JD dealers in my area, but I always keep a can on my bench now.