What happened here to my tire?

/ What happened here to my tire? #41  
I've you ever lost the bead on a tire in the middle of nowhere without a air compressor ?
When I pushed my tractor's right front tire bead off, initially I briefly tried pulling the bolts off to take the tire up to my shop to deal with it up there, because my crappy tire inflator at the time (no proper air compressor) was up there and there's no power plug near where the tractor was. I forget what the problem was with getting the bolts off, they may've been torqued on too hard for the wrench I had available at the time

we (my son & I) ended up using the ratchet strap idea plus a bicycle air pump. pumping took a while but it worked.
[I have a battery powered inflator now; working on the air compressor]

/ What happened here to my tire? #42  
When I pushed my tractor's right front tire bead off, initially I briefly tried pulling the bolts off to take the tire up to my shop to deal with it up there, because my crappy tire inflator at the time (no proper air compressor) was up there and there's no power plug near where the tractor was. I forget what the problem was with getting the bolts off, they may've been torqued on too hard for the wrench I had available at the time

we (my son & I) ended up using the ratchet strap idea plus a bicycle air pump. pumping took a while but it worked.
[I have a battery powered inflator now; working on the air compressor]
A bicycle pump ehn that must've been frustrating...

All I am saying is I have been caught in a pickle at the other end of my proprety or in a back road somewhere loosing the bead of a tire and there is no air compressor around or no ratchet straps and I can't get it but I have bug spray (because living where I live I always do) I am not stranded and 2 minute later and I will be back in business ... I have done the ratchet strap and the bicycle tube trick as well in the shop as well. I am not suggesting anyone should do it every time you need to seal a beads but in some cases doing it can save you lots of time and a big headache, for me it has been the difference between spending the night out or driving on a flat vs spaying some bugs spray and lighting it up.... I pretty easy choice if you ask me but hey its a free country drive on that flat if you wish too.

/ What happened here to my tire? #43  
I, too, always thought of the starter-fluid method as being in the category of “Hold my beer and watch this.” And it probably is, to a large extent. But a few weeks ago a buddy actually broke a two-inch ratchet strap trying to reseat the bead on an R4 front tire of his Kubota M6040. The tire was separated from the rim on both sides, and we were unable to get enough compression to reseat it, even with the high air flow from my big compressor and soapy water to help the seal.

So, on to Plan B, without the beer. I sprayed starter fluid along 20 inches of rim on one side. Then, standing back, lit it with a 14” butane “candle-lighter” wand. Alas, no joy. After two more tries of this, I next sprayed a one-second burst of starter fluid well up inside the tire and again along the bead before igniting. This time it worked. A loud ”POP” as the tire's bead seated fully on both sides, and we quickly inflated it.

Here’s a short YouTube video I found from a year ago of a guy using the method, but with brake cleaner rather than starter fluid, in what looks to be a fairly careful manner. If and when I need to use the trick again, I'll stick with starter fluid though.

/ What happened here to my tire? #44  
One problem is that many brake cleaners are not very flammable anymore, even starting fluid is getting harder to ignite and is likely to burn rather then pop an seal.

/ What happened here to my tire? #45  
I, too, always thought of the starter-fluid method as being in the category of “Hold my beer and watch this.” And it probably is, to a large extent. But a few weeks ago a buddy actually broke a two-inch ratchet strap trying to reseat the bead on an R4 front tire of his Kubota M6040. The tire was separated from the rim on both sides, and we were unable to get enough compression to reseat it, even with the high air flow from my big compressor and soapy water to help the seal.

So, on to Plan B, without the beer. I sprayed starter fluid along 20 inches of rim on one side. Then, standing back, lit it with a 14” butane “candle-lighter” wand. Alas, no joy. After two more tries of this, I next sprayed a one-second burst of starter fluid well up inside the tire and again along the bead before igniting. This time it worked. A loud ”POP” as the tire's bead seated fully on both sides, and we quickly inflated it.

Here’s a short YouTube video I found from a year ago of a guy using the method, but with brake cleaner rather than starter fluid, in what looks to be a fairly careful manner. If and when I need to use the trick again, I'll stick with starter fluid though.

My goodness. That was easy!!!

/ What happened here to my tire? #46  
One problem is that many brake cleaners are not very flammable anymore, even starting fluid is getting harder to ignite and is likely to burn rather then pop an seal.
bugs spray, hair spray, ether, and some air freshener works very well

/ What happened here to my tire? #47  
   / What happened here to my tire? #48  
Some may be, many are not
this one is inanely flammable

1709737363332.png

/ What happened here to my tire? #50  
Yikes! Now, that's a hazard I'd never considered when lighting a match in a restroom!

yes... you don't want want to light up a match while spraying this stuff... I mean unless you do intend to light the place up... check the ingredient lol

1709739691795.png