what is a dependable bush hog name for someone looking to buy one please?

/ what is a dependable bush hog name for someone looking to buy one please? #11  
I prefer Bush Hog and will not buy another woods rotary cutter. Had bad luck with the woods brand and company. Bush hog makes multiple duty models as do most of the main brands. Just stay away from local brands that pop up as most are just importers of cheap Chinese rotary cutters.

I would not be afraid of landpride, rhino, Deere or Brown. Woods revamped their rotary cutters after the garbage they put out before it killed their reputation around farms here. But I will strongly recommend Bush Hog brand rotary cutters and I am sitting on mine as I type this (it is shady here).

ForumRunner_20140607_101702.png

/ what is a dependable bush hog name for someone looking to buy one please?
Thanks for the great advice! More info for shopping now. I will be mowing about 5 acres every couple of weeks. I have a 41 hp LS Tractor.

/ what is a dependable bush hog name for someone looking to buy one please? #13  
I have a Tractor Supply in Augusta, GA and wondered if their bush hog is considered to be dependable?? Thnx for the help to a new tractor owner/operator.

i'm not sure who TSC is currently using, I know for a while, depending on where you were, they had different suppliers.. IE.. KingKutter, Tarta Gate.. etc.

I have a KK 5' hog that I have had since 97 or so.. still doing fine.. deck is 98%. still on original pto shaft and tailwheel. it's seen plenty of shear bolts and dozens of tubes of grease. tailwheel spindle bushing probably wants to be replaced.. but mows like a champ. still same seals in the gearbox.

it gets new oil each year, greasing after each mowing. check the bolts.. and service the blades as needed.

for what it's worth.. I've run plenty of cutters. older ford 95X models, howse light duty, and howse heavy duty. the howse heavy duty is built better than my jd batwing. the howse light duty is built less than the king kutter, IE.. it is folded metal constrction.. but in the end. they all cut with a lil maintenance.

my oldest mower is a old servis ( rhino ) 6' hd job. it's had plenty of patching and welding, and is like a bull in a china shop. it's guess it is from the 70's it takes everything my ford 4600 will put out..

/ what is a dependable bush hog name for someone looking to buy one please? #14  
While Robert in NY seems to have had a problem with a Woods it would be interesting to know what it was.

I have had no problem and have a Woods BB-720 Brush Bull and a BH90X Backhoe. Both are built strong and a great company. I have had no problems with either one and they have both had some tough workouts.
Woods builds one of the toughest brush cutters out there. They have a light, medium, and heavy duty line with a five year warrantee on the gear box. There is not much else that can go wrong. Don't know what kind of warantee the other brands have.
The Deere dealer strongly recommended going with the Woods and not the Deere brushcutter. Interesting for a Deere dealer and says a lot. Comparing the structure and the steel there is no comparison as well in quality and strength.

/ what is a dependable bush hog name for someone looking to buy one please? #15  
My first cutter was a John Deere 513. It was a total piece of junk.
I replaced it with a 6' King Kutter brush cutter.
It has been a good cutter. Been using it for years with no problems.

/ what is a dependable bush hog name for someone looking to buy one please? #16  
I have a 6' Titan w/slip clutch. New last year but worked in some pretty thick brush since then. Did a little research before I bought and Titan seemed to be a good value. Thicker steel in some of the more critical areas when compared to similar priced brands.

/ what is a dependable bush hog name for someone looking to buy one please? #17  
Hard to beat the Bush Hog brand cutters. We have a 5' and and 8', both about 7 years old and still cutting very well. Your LS will handle at least a 6' cutter.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ what is a dependable bush hog name for someone looking to buy one please? #18  
Bushhog is a good brand as others said. I have a 105 that has seen better days and is in need of some TLC. And I have a 306 which is a heavy duty cutter that is my money maker. Cut about 200 acres last year with it and am already over 100 this year. Its a beast.

But as with anything, you get what you pay for. My take on cutters is quite simple...

They are a simple attachment. The gearbox is my only concern. PTO shapts are pretty universal, and the rest is just metal. Metal that can be repaired, reinforced, or replaced many times over for not much money for a guy with a welder and torches.

But the gearbox, if it goes out, replacing it would likely exceed the value of the cutter. So the options are try to source parts for a rebuild, or throw a universal China gearbox on like many do.

Personally, I like buying good brand cutters that may have some metal damage but still a good tight gearbox. Cause I can do metal work, but it makes them sell cheap.

/ what is a dependable bush hog name for someone looking to buy one please? #19  
I just recently purchased a Modern Ag 7 foot cutter, is is very heavy duty and completely galvanized, so far I am impressed with it. I will also second the statement made in an earlier post " any brand will work as long as it is 1. taken care of, 2. matched to your tractor HP, 3. used for what is was designed to cut".

/ what is a dependable bush hog name for someone looking to buy one please? #20  
I have never owned a Woods rotary cutter but do own and like a Woods RFM. I have owned two TSC King Kutter rotary cutters. On both King Kutters the stump jumper was too weak and I had to have the stump jumper on both King Kutters reinforced by adding welded braces to the stump jumper to prevent them from warping. I have a Land Pride rotary cutter now. Tough enough. No experience with Bush Hog rotary cutters.