what is a dependable bush hog name for someone looking to buy one please?

/ what is a dependable bush hog name for someone looking to buy one please? #21  
Woods.Befco,Landpride,Frontier(JD) and Brushhog brands to name a few.If you have big $$ to spend brown cutters IMHO are top of the line.

/ what is a dependable bush hog name for someone looking to buy one please? #22  
While Robert in NY seems to have had a problem with a Woods it would be interesting to know what it was.

I have had no problem and have a Woods BB-720 Brush Bull and a BH90X Backhoe. Both are built strong and a great company. I have had no problems with either one and they have both had some tough workouts.
Woods builds one of the toughest brush cutters out there. They have a light, medium, and heavy duty line with a five year warrantee on the gear box. There is not much else that can go wrong. Don't know what kind of warantee the other brands have.
The Deere dealer strongly recommended going with the Woods and not the Deere brushcutter. Interesting for a Deere dealer and says a lot. Comparing the structure and the steel there is no comparison as well in quality and strength.

The gearbox was a constant problem with the md172. In the end woods said it was my fault because I didn't reshim the stump jumper after so many hours of use????? They paid to repair it the first two times but after the third seal failed in the first 2 years I filled it with grease and gave up holding oil. The seals would fail and drain out while using it and destroy the gearbox. There are plenty of MD cutters sitting in the weeds around here with bad gear boxes. The cutter was not built heavy enough for a medium duty rating.

/ what is a dependable bush hog name for someone looking to buy one please? #23  
The gearbox was a constant problem with the md172. In the end woods said it was my fault because I didn't reshim the stump jumper after so many hours of use????? They paid to repair it the first two times but after the third seal failed in the first 2 years I filled it with grease and gave up holding oil. The seals would fail and drain out while using it and destroy the gearbox. There are plenty of MD cutters sitting in the weeds around here with bad gear boxes. The cutter was not built heavy enough for a medium duty rating.

Hope you didn't use grease gun grease :eek:

Here is a thread about the right grease to use in a gear box: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/271324-grease-rotary-cutter-gear-box.html

/ what is a dependable bush hog name for someone looking to buy one please? #24  

After finding the thread describing your tale of woe concerning your gearbox I guess I can understand you not thinking highly of Woods brush cutters.
The Brushbull series is a cutter of entirely a different breed than what you described. At least after 7 years of use I say that. I hope I do not jinx myself.
Wish you the best

/ what is a dependable bush hog name for someone looking to buy one please? #25  
After finding the thread describing your tale of woe concerning your gearbox I guess I can understand you not thinking highly of Woods brush cutters.
The Brushbull series is a cutter of entirely a different breed than what you described. At least after 7 years of use I say that. I hope I do not jinx myself.
Wish you the best

I know, I mentioned they redesigned their cutters but I have no experience with the new models and wasn't happy with the companies excuse for the problems with mine. Bush hog is what I run now and it looks almost brand new still after a couple years of more extreme use then the woods saw. Woods never should have called the MD line a medium duty cutter. The brushbull looks a lot heavier and more comparable to the bush hogs now. I am glad yours is working well, hopefully you don't have any problems as these machines are not that complicated. Should be easy to make a reliable cutter.

/ what is a dependable bush hog name for someone looking to buy one please? #26  
When it comes to rotary cutters, Bush Hog is all I will buy. It's the only brand I recommend to others.

/ what is a dependable bush hog name for someone looking to buy one please? #27  
Wish you the best

Agree the (Brush Bull) Woods cutter has been good- at least for me, also have an OLD Ford 6 foot unit that refuses to die