What is that smell yuck. I hate this job.

/ What is that smell yuck. I hate this job. #51  
If you want to mark septic lines, plant some daffodills at the ends.

IMO, you want to stay off the lines as much as you can, and you really want to avoid running your tires directly in the excavated lines. Crossing perpendicularly is one thing, but I'd really try not to run parallel in the excavated area.

/ What is that smell yuck. I hate this job. #52  
Somethings odd..why did you pump 2 yrs ago, any before?. BTW i have a 1000gal tank and have it pumped out about every 4 to 5 yrs since the install. For the area I live, it's the best way to do it. Not that everybody does.

4-5 years? I hope you live alone! Every 1-3 years is normal for a typical septic load.

I had a 1000 gal tank - I pumped it every year. I recently replaced my system and put in a triple-chambered tank that totals 2250 gallons, and also doubled the size of my existing leach field. I did the system design, but hired out all of the work - total cost was a little over $9,000. The first tank chamber is about 1600 gallons - I pump that every 2 years (about 1/2 of the second tank spills back for a total of about 1800 gallons pumped). When I did it the first time, the first chamber was full of sludge like a normal septic tank, the second was clear water with all of 1/2" of foam floating on the top, and I didn't even bother to open the third chamber. My system will last until long after I am dead.

To the original poster - you probably destroyed your leach field by not pumping your tank, although it is not uncommon for a leach field to fail after 25 years. Once enough solids make it into the leach field, it's all over - a layer forms under the stone and it won't perk anymore.

I saw the work you did making the new field - nice tractorin'. However, it doesn't look like you prepared the bed of the field first. That is supposed to be washed sand and is supposed to be uncompacted (no wheeled vehicles running over it). It's might be OK, but don't be surprised if it fails in a year or two. Also, that type of field system has been prematurely failing in our area after about 5 years. Evidently, the chamber edges sink into the base, which makes the chambers close up and get waterlogged. I was going to go with that type of system myself, but was talked out of it by a friends who is in the business.

If your new field does fail prematurely, I recommend removing all of your existing system and installing an old-fashioned stone and pipe field - make it huge if you want. Put in a second 1000 gal tank in series with your first while your at it - tanks only cost ~$700 and a second tank will easily double the life of the leach field.

JayC

/ What is that smell yuck. I hate this job.
Can you drive over those bio diffusers with your tractor, or is it strictly lawn tractor territory?

Thanks

Aaron Z

I filled in the sides of the Biodiffusers with river gravel. This improves the weight rating. That said I was driving over them with the tractor before the day was out. I was careful about how I filled them in. I was nervous about them collapsing but they are stout.They are designed to support a surprising traffic load. So they are open to all traffic. I would not run a concrete truck over them though.:D I am not that brave.

4-5 years? I hope you live alone! Every 1-3 years is normal for a typical septic load.

I had a 1000 gal tank - I pumped it every year. I recently replaced my system and put in a triple-chambered tank that totals 2250 gallons, and also doubled the size of my existing leach field. I did the system design, but hired out all of the work - total cost was a little over $9,000. The first tank chamber is about 1600 gallons - I pump that every 2 years (about 1/2 of the second tank spills back for a total of about 1800 gallons pumped). When I did it the first time, the first chamber was full of sludge like a normal septic tank, the second was clear water with all of 1/2" of foam floating on the top, and I didn't even bother to open the third chamber. My system will last until long after I am dead.

To the original poster - you probably destroyed your leach field by not pumping your tank, although it is not uncommon for a leach field to fail after 25 years. Once enough solids make it into the leach field, it's all over - a layer forms under the stone and it won't perk anymore.

I saw the work you did making the new field - nice tractorin'. However, it doesn't look like you prepared the bed of the field first. That is supposed to be washed sand and is supposed to be uncompacted (no wheeled vehicles running over it). It's might be OK, but don't be surprised if it fails in a year or two. Also, that type of field system has been prematurely failing in our area after about 5 years. Evidently, the chamber edges sink into the base, which makes the chambers close up and get waterlogged. I was going to go with that type of system myself, but was talked out of it by a friends who is in the business.

If your new field does fail prematurely, I recommend removing all of your existing system and installing an old-fashioned stone and pipe field - make it huge if you want. Put in a second 1000 gal tank in series with your first while your at it - tanks only cost ~$700 and a second tank will easily double the life of the leach field.

JayC
I felt uneasy about installing this type of system using the biodiffusers. I researched the use in our area and to my surprise it is what most every septic system installers are using. I am not one to try something untested but if it fails I will replace it with a conventional system. I don't think there was any sludge in the leach bed as the tank that I have is set up to seal off if the solids approach the overflow ell (90 degree elbow). the sludge blanket was thick but intact. I could be wrong though and time will tell if it will fail. Thanks for the input.:thumbsup:

/ What is that smell yuck. I hate this job. #55  
On the 100 acre family ranch, we had the tradition anaerobic septic system (field lines). It was a fairly old system and although it worked well enough, it took up a lot of space and left for a rather soggy area in the field where it drains so that you didn't want to drive over it with a tractor for fear of possibly damaging it. The gray water did not go through the septic system -- it was routed to the other side of house and just dumped into the field.

In a subsequent house that I owned, it had a aerobic septic system. This type of septic system has an electrically powered fan / air pump that helps to accelerate the decomposition process such that no field line is necessary. The water that comes out of it is clear and can just dump directly into a ditch or be used for irrigation. A neighbor of mine had his hooked up to a sprinkler system so that it would periodically water his yard. He probably had the greenest yard in the neighborhood. Whereas with field lines, you end up with stripes of green, with his way of doing it, the entire yard was green. The aerobic septic systems do not tend to have much (if any) smell either. The do require electricity to run, so that might not be something that you want if you are wanting to live completely off-grid or are in an area where electrical power is not reliable and you might go weeks without power during winter storms.

On the 100 acre family ranch, we had the tradition anaerobic septic system (field lines). It was a fairly old system and although it worked well enough, it took up a lot of space and left for a rather soggy area in the field where it drains so that you didn't want to drive over it with a tractor for fear of possibly damaging it. The gray water did not go through the septic system -- it was routed to the other side of house and just dumped into the field.

In a subsequent house that I owned, it had a aerobic septic system. This type of septic system has an electrically powered fan / air pump that helps to accelerate the decomposition process such that no field line is necessary. The water that comes out of it is clear and can just dump directly into a ditch or be used for irrigation. A neighbor of mine had his hooked up to a sprinkler system so that it would periodically water his yard. He probably had the greenest yard in the neighborhood. Whereas with field lines, you end up with stripes of green, with his way of doing it, the entire yard was green. The aerobic septic systems do not tend to have much (if any) smell either. The do require electricity to run, so that might not be something that you want if you are wanting to live completely off-grid or are in an area where electrical power is not reliable and you might go weeks without power during winter storms.
There are those in my area that have the aerobic septic system and they have to contract with someone who is licensed to operate these systems. It would be another bill.

/ What is that smell yuck. I hate this job. #57  
There are those in my area that have the aerobic septic system and they have to contract with someone who is licensed to operate these systems. It would be another bill.

Interesting... I didn't think that West Virginia was that much of a nanny state... I guess you're just too close to all those other Yankee states and their nanny-ness has rubbed off on ya'll... ;)

Interesting... I didn't think that West Virginia was that much of a nanny state... I guess you're just too close to all those other Yankee states and their nanny-ness has rubbed off on ya'll... ;)

I think it has more to do with another revenue stream for the local health depts. WV has always had an identity crisis because nobody knows whether we are north or south. :) Some even thing we are western Virginia. :D

/ What is that smell yuck. I hate this job. #59  
I think it has more to do with another revenue stream for the local health depts. WV has always had an identity crisis because nobody knows whether we are north or south. :) Some even thing we are western Virginia. :D

Well, you did promote the wrong side in the War of Northern Aggression, but we try not to hold that against you too much... Most demographics these days apparently classify you as part of the South... From the Wiki article on the state, it seems that politically you are more a part of the North since you seem to be primarily Democrat controlled, albeit a bit more conservative than the typical flaming liberal Democrat of the NE and West Coasts. Since the Democrats have traditionally wanted Big Government and control of all aspects of a person's life, it's not surprising that they would create rules like that for septic systems. They fail to understand that for most things, "more government" is NOT the answer...

They fail to understand that for most things, "more government" is NOT the answer...

I think this statement holds true for most of the country.