What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments??

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #41  
Last edited:
   / What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #42  
For me it's easy. I got the wife a '13 Rav4. It's our main vehicle and has 75k on it. Other than a headlight bulb it hasn't cost us a thing other than routine maintenance. I'm thinking of replacing it this summer and stopped in at a dealer. Once you subtract what they offered me for trade in vs what we paid it works out to about $3k a year for a vehicle that is 100% reliable.

Since we both work and commute together we can't be counting on my 2000 Tundra with 130k miles on it. Sure it runs fine but the other day one of the lines going to the steering rack rusted and started leaking. I was able to drive it home and didn't damage the power steering pump but it wasn't fun. Couldn't find the steel tube anywhere but at the dealer (who didn't have it in stock). It cost something like $200. I was able to buy a brake line and make it myself because I didn't need the truck so it could sit while I found a cheap way to fix it. If it was a daily driver I would of had to throw money at it to get it back on the road.

The same was true for my 2000 Saturn with 175k on it. When the starter died I could get a replacement on-line for about $50 or buy it local for over $400. If it had been a daily driver I would of had no choice but to spend the big bucks.

We have at least one vehicle that has no rust and less than 100k on it. Just the peace of mind knowing that I could drive it across the country right now and not have any worries that it will get me there is worth it. Maybe when we are both retired it'll be different. But right now I don't want to burn a days vacation dealing with a car broken on the side of the road.

I'm guessing the Rav4 will go past 150k easily without requiring any repairs. But what will it be worth 4 years from now? My guess is it's going to loose about the same amount, $3k a year until it gets to a point where a dealer just doesn't want it and will offer a token amount that they would give you if you paid cash.

Could I save money, sure. But it just takes one or two events and any savings would go out the window once you factor it your time, the cost of repairs, and the possible use of vacation. Then there's the things you can't assign a price to like the peace of mind. For me the extra few bucks it might cost me is worth it.

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #43  
I'm driving a 2003 GMC 1500HD, 72K on it right now. Just this past year, I had a few issues that had to be repaired. Broke a valve spring coming back from Florida, had to have that repaired by a shop, then I had to replace the ignition cylinder and every brake line on it. This spring I need to replace the rockers and cab corners, I've already got everything I need for that job waiting in the garage.
Prior to that, it had been an issue free vehicle, so I knew that I was going to be spending some maintenance money somewhere in my future.
Once that's done, I guess I'll just keep driving it. I got an itch once to trade it once and was darn near insulted by the two dealer offers I was given, especially when I considered how much they were asking for their trucks. I'll just let the wife sell it in a yard sale once I've departed this world!

We do keep the wife in newer vehicles, trading about every 3-4 years.

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #44  
I've bought 6 new trucks since the 80's, when my last one gave up at 285,000 miles & was going to cost to much to fix, i found a 95 F150 with 117,000 miles on it, topper & the bed didn't have a scratch in it. I figured i'd drive it a year or two & buy another new truck, 3 years later & i'm still driving it.
My wife said i need to get another one, i told her i'd just as soon spend a little money for paint & the one rust spot on the rear fender than buy another new one. She's persistent, i'm going to upgrade this year to a 97 F250 Powerstroke 4x4(my dream truck), at 59 years old, i figure it will be the last one i ever buy.

Now, i have a question, i like the looks of the newer vehicles, hate the prices & junk on them, will they last 20+ years with all that stuff on them?

Ronnie

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments??
Why did you buy that vehicle new?

My ex wife got the GM discount and she had 4 grand in her GM Card rebates coming and we used that as part of the down payment. And my 1979 F-150 did not have AC or a decent radio and did not have the gearing to pull our 6400 pound travel trailer...why do you inquire?

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #46  
I have a 96 grand Cherokee limited that my wife drives. I used to drive a Tacoma but sold it at 30k miles for a 99 f250 superduty. Put 98k on it in 18 months after buying it three months old with 3k on it. Bought it for 31 sold it fo 24k so that was a win for 100k miles and one set of tires. Then got a Chevy 3500 duramax. Had the injectors fail at 90k they fixed and extended the warranty to 200k. Had them replaced again at 185k and decided I was done with the truck before 100k more. Put a few more miles on and traded for. 2011 3500 ram. Love it and this was in early 2012. I have 83k on it now. I have never put less then 30-40k miles in a year on my vehicles. I have put 360k on my bus motorhome that I use for long trips. My wrangler was dragged 350k of those miles till I replaced it with a 2012 Grand Cherokee in 2013. I wore out the Jeep's running gear but still did not cost me anything. Bought it is 2001 for 21k and sold Tim in 2012 for 14k. I was shocked how much the dealer gave me for it. He said he would put new tires on it and it would be out the door in a week or two at 16k plus. He was right then I liked at the price of new wranglers and mine only had 60k on the clock after being pulled all that way. I was upfront with him on the towing too. I can't believe anyone would buy a vehicle and drive it so few miles. It would be cheaper to rent one when you need it then pay the taxes and insurance. In VA we have Proprty tax at 5 percent every year of the value of the vehicle so a 30k truck pays 1500 in taxes. They did institute a grace that the first 20k is not counted but that was a long time ago now and they get to determine the value. They give a big discount on stated value if you are over 100k miles so when this truck hits it soon I will file with the county. I buy new or near new and run them hard and replace when the repair costs are starting up.

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments??
I've bought 6 new trucks since the 80's, when my last one gave up at 285,000 miles & was going to cost to much to fix, i found a 95 F150 with 117,000 miles on it, topper & the bed didn't have a scratch in it. I figured i'd drive it a year or two & buy another new truck, 3 years later & i'm still driving it.
My wife said i need to get another one, i told her i'd just as soon spend a little money for paint & the one rust spot on the rear fender than buy another new one. She's persistent, i'm going to upgrade this year to a 97 F250 Powerstroke 4x4(my dream truck), at 59 years old, i figure it will be the last one i ever buy.

Now, i have a question, i like the looks of the newer vehicles, hate the prices & junk on them, will they last 20+ years with all that stuff on them?

Ronnie

BINGO...I agree with what you have to say and I too wonder about the reliability of the modern vehicles that are loaded up with bring and brang. Know what? My Y2K GMC has never been in the shop except for a set of tires....my brother purchased a 2014 F-150 that he just had to take to the dealership because the starter quit working. A TWO YEAR OLD TRUCK.......

Good point on your part...HOWEVER...it always surprises me when people put 100,000 miles on a vehicle. I have never owned one that was driven near that figure. Our current car is a 2004 Saturn L-300 with about 74000 miles. If a major repair ever comes due, I will happily pay that rather than fork out 25 grand for a comparable new vehicle. BTW I lend my Saturn out to friends, family, neighbors, etc. without a qualm. Stepkid recently stayed here after a train trip from the Twin Cities area and ran up 1000 miles on the car during a week and did I worry about the reliability of the Saturn? Never.

Yeah, not picking on anyone, but a 17 year old vehicle with only 47K miles isn't a very good example for a debate about buying new or not. That's 7.5 miles per day. Not sure a middle aged or older guy can live long enough to wear that vehicle out. Assuming the vehicle has a 200K dependable lifespan, that's another 20,400 days or 55.9 years. :D

Might I interpret your opinion as saying if I keep my GMC, I can actually anticipate living to age 121? What a deal...thanks for figuring it out for me ! :laughing: