what rpm for loader work?

/ what rpm for loader work? #1  

eubie5

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota bx2380
ok guys, this is a newbie question, so don't kill me. i've never had a loader so i'm just asking the experts.
my last tractor, bx1800, when i would mow with the mmm, i would run the rpm wide open. it seem to cut better, and disperse the clippings the farthest. but on my bx2380, and i've seen on here, the tach is marked at 2500 rpm for loader work. wouldn't everything run better if the engine was running faster? the engine and hydraulics would have more power, no?
i've tried the search feature, and really didn't find what i was looking for.
thanks

/ what rpm for loader work?
of course, as soon as i hit post, a bunch of similar threads popped up that didn't come up during my search. go figure!!!

/ what rpm for loader work? #3  
Under normal circumstances I keep the rpm at between 1800-2000, 2500rpm is for running pto implements. You can crank it up to 2500 if you need to but I do that only when lifting something heavy, I use the 1800-2000 for speed more than anything..

/ what rpm for loader work? #4  
^+1
If I need full power (pressure & flow) I'll run it up to PTO speed, but for the most part I'm down around 1500 to 2000 rpm also.
I've also got 1 tractor with a turbo, I keep it at 1200+ rpm per the manual. Ones without the turbo I will idle if it seems appropriate.

/ what rpm for loader work? #5  
I also run at around 1800 to 2000, for all around use as well as when I'm using the loader. The only times that I go much over that is when I've gone a little farther than I should have (in snow or mud) and need a little extra to get back on stable ground. To tell the truth I don't even normally run at PTO rpms while mowing, tilling, or using my backhoe or winch; and have never had problems.

/ what rpm for loader work? #6  
And Duffer makes 4....

1750-2000 rpms.

Anything over that doesn't appear to help the hydraulics anymore. Lift the same weight @ 2000 as 2500. If you're maxing out the load on the bucket, for a long period of time I'd run 2000.

/ what rpm for loader work? #9  
As people have been saying (1800-2000)... the reason for the range is that each tractor (all colours) have a 'sweet spot' that has to be discovered, through experimentation, by the owner.

My 4105 works best (non-PTO work) at just a titch over 2000. Anything more and I'm just burning extra fuel.

/ what rpm for loader work? #10  
With time you'll understand better how things work. Higher RPMs will make things move faster, but not necessarily increase capacity or lifting ability. With an FEL, the bucket may raise, curl or dump faster but you won't be able to lift a heavier load.

I see it most with the backhoe. When I swing the bucket side to side at higher RPMs it tends to slam (move too fast). At lower RPMs, it's much easier to control movement.