what rpm for loader work?

/ what rpm for loader work? #11  
When I use my FEL grapple it's at 1800 to 2000 rpm. Higher rpm's cause movements that could easily be faster than my tired old brain can handle. At 2500 rpm my grapple becomes "snippy" and requires really rapid reaction on the joy stick. In other words - no joy.

If I am lifting something real heavy - grab it with the grapple - begin the lift - run the rpm's up. The weight of the rock or tree trunk will slow the grapple movements.

/ what rpm for loader work? #12  
Note that many larger tractors have PTO rpm at around 2500. With small engine like a BX it's probably higher. Scale the recommendations accordingly.

On mine (PTO rpm 2500) I run the engine at 2000 to 2500 when using the loader. If I have a helper on the ground and need to talk I may run at lower rpm.

/ what rpm for loader work? #13  
My GC SCUT is 2500rpm for pto use..

/ what rpm for loader work?
Thanks for all the replies. I cut a little grass today, and ran mostly between 2000-2500, and it cut just fine.

/ what rpm for loader work? #15  
Cut a little grass today.. I'm still waiting for the 2ft pile of snow to get off my lawn..

/ what rpm for loader work? #16  
DigginIt did good job on this.

For mowing, you are missing providing the tip speed the blades and mower were designed for. You may be tearing your grass, not getting as fine a cut as you should or not discharging the clippings as you should. Then of course that will depend on your travel speed, slow the blades down and the ground speed you may have about same ratio as with higher pto rpms and higher ground speed.

/ what rpm for loader work?
DigginIt did good job on this.

For mowing, you are missing providing the tip speed the blades and mower were designed for. You may be tearing your grass, not getting as fine a cut as you should or not discharging the clippings as you should. Then of course that will depend on your travel speed, slow the blades down and the ground speed you may have about same ratio as with higher pto rpms and higher ground speed.
That's why, with my old tractor, i ran it at the highest rpm while mowing. I'll do that with this one, mostly, but while breaking it in, the book said not to run it 100%, and to vary the rpm's.
Even at lower rpm, it mowed well.
I was mainly originally asking about loader work and rpms.

/ what rpm for loader work? #18  
With loader work, it all depends on how fast I want to get things done. Fortunately, I’m usually not in a big hurry so I run my tractor at pretty low rpm’s.

/ what rpm for loader work? #19  
To tell the truth I don't even normally run at PTO rpms while mowing, tilling, or using my backhoe or winch; and have never had problems.

Mowing is the only thing I do where I run at rated PTO speed. The mower is designed for a particular blade tip speed to cut properly and the only way to get it is to run at full PTO speed. Even if you slow your ground speed, you still need the proper blade tip speed.

/ what rpm for loader work? #20  
With time you'll understand better how things work. Higher RPMs will make things move faster, but not necessarily increase capacity or lifting ability. With an FEL, the bucket may raise, curl or dump faster but you won't be able to lift a heavier load.

I see it most with the backhoe. When I swing the bucket side to side at higher RPMs it tends to slam (move too fast). At lower RPMs, it's much easier to control movement.

Agreed, rpm for hydraulics only affects flow not pressure. Flow is speed, not power.

My tractors both have hand and foot throttles, so I operate at lower rpm and use the foot throttle when I need more tractor power (pushing into a pile, traveling up hill, etc). Then just let off the foot throttle and I am back to set rpm of the hand throttle.

My rpm is usually 1500 - 1800 rpm, but my PTO rpm is lower than being posted, it's 2100rpm.