What to do with old gas/diesel?

/ What to do with old gas/diesel? #1  

MTGreen

Platinum Member
Tractor
Deere 5220, Ford 1720, Deere Progator 2030
Inspired by a recent what to do with old antifreeze thread:

I've purchased and restored a number of old basket-case machines that haven't run in years; and I always have a problem with what to do with the old fuel (gas or diesel). It's too old to run in any of my vehicles/equipment, and I'm not supposed to mix it with the oil at the auto parts store dumps.

What I've done in the past is let it sit in a bucket for several weeks/months until it nearly all evaporates, then take the resultant syrup to the auto parts dump anyways because I'm at a loss for what else I can do with it.

Anyone have any better ideas on how to dispose of it other than using it to [carefully] start a burn pile/bonfire or using it in a kerosene/diesel burning heater which I don't have?

/ What to do with old gas/diesel? #2  
Mix it with waste oil and dump it at the oil pickups or burn it in a burn pile are the most practical options.

/ What to do with old gas/diesel? #3  
Don't tell EPA, but you could pour it along the fence row or the back side of the garage to keep the weeds or termites down. You can also save it as starter fuel for the burn pile. I would probably mix a little in with my good fuel in the older, less sensitive equipment until it was gone.

/ What to do with old gas/diesel? #4  
I don't know what others do, but I save it in old plastic oil jugs, same as I do waste oil of any kind. I don't deal much in old gas, it's mostly diesel. I mix any gas with diesel, and save that for use as parts wash. Once it's too dirty for that any more it goes into other jugs along with waste oil. I do a lot of work at a nearby farm that has a large waste oil tank next to the farm fuel storage tanks. I dump my waste products in their tank.

I try to buy oil in 2 or 2 1/2 gallon jugs whenever possible so I have a running supply of jugs to pick from. I use them until they're too nasty for anything more then they go in the trash.

/ What to do with old gas/diesel? #5  
I bought a Chinese diesel/waste oil heater for my shop last year. Slowly burning all my waste oil mixed 50/50 with good diesel.

/ What to do with old gas/diesel?
I don't know what others do, but I save it in old plastic oil jugs, same as I do waste oil of any kind. I don't deal much in old gas, it's mostly diesel. I mix any gas with diesel, and save that for use as parts wash. Once it's too dirty for that any more it goes into other jugs along with waste oil. I do a lot of work at a nearby farm that has a large waste oil tank next to the farm fuel storage tanks. I dump my waste products in their tank.

I try to buy oil in 2 or 2 1/2 gallon jugs whenever possible so I have a running supply of jugs to pick from. I use them until they're too nasty for anything more then they go in the trash.
I didn't think of using it for cleaning -that's a good idea for the diesel anyhow

/ What to do with old gas/diesel? #7  
Curbside pickup of used oil on trash day or take it to the hazmat drop off point 6 Mike's away... they also take paint, pesticide and antifreeze...

I bought a Chinese diesel/waste oil heater for my shop last year. Slowly burning all my waste oil mixed 50/50 with good diesel.
Do you have a model number or a link? I'm curious as to what's involved and cost for BTU output etc.

/ What to do with old gas/diesel? #9  
Do you have a model number or a link? I'm curious as to what's involved and cost for BTU output etc.
The product link and installation info is in the link I provided. I'm real happy with this unit. It just needs a 12v battery for power. Lots more info on these on you tube where I found them.

The product link and installation info is in the link I provided. I'm real happy with this unit. It just needs a 12v battery for power. Lots more info on these on you tube where I found them.
Got it, thanks -for some reason the link wasn't there right away on the initial posting (?) Maybe it takes a couple minutes to populate in the post