What to do with old gas/diesel?

/ What to do with old gas/diesel? #21  
All mine goes to cleaning parts with.

Fuel and gasoline mixed leaves a clean part.
Almost thought I'm the only one left using gas to wash parts. BTW one of the best ways to remove Cosmoline from old surplus military items, breaks it right down to nothing.

/ What to do with old gas/diesel? #22  
The product link and installation info is in the link I provided. I'm real happy with this unit. It just needs a 12v battery for power. Lots more info on these on you tube where I found them.
I've been using a smaller Buddy Heater in my deer blinds for a couple of years now, works excellent, takes the same (small) propane bottle (which I refill from my RV's 20 pound bottle with an adaptor, which I can explain if anyone is interested because I use them with my case annealer as well and no point in buying new bottles all the time, cause I'm cheap).

Heats up the blonds (I mean blinds, though a nice blonde to keep this old fart company would be nice but shooting would be non existent) with the shooting with the shooting windows open in about 10 minutes to 70 plus.

They work good and I may get one for the RV as they are much more efficient in gas usage than the propane furnace in the RV plus I can move it around to direct the heat where I want it.

I like the diesel heater to but the Buddy Heater needs no hookups, nothing, just a gas bottle and totally self contained (has a built in O2 sensor and the RV has a built in C0 sensor. If the Buddy tips over, it shuts off or if the O2 drops, it also shuts off. However, I may replace the propane heater in the RV (read clunky and noisy) with one as I have diesel handy, it's a diesel pickup truck and I can place the fuel tank to make the fill convenient too.

I like it and it's cheap, which is a driving factor for me always.

/ What to do with old gas/diesel? #23  
I think the alcohol in moonshine and any drinkable liquor is ethanol? Methanol is immediately poison.
Methanol is drinkable if you strain it through a slice of bread, preferrablt stale sponge bread, just ask any panhandler. Do it all the time, heck I know alcoholics that drink aftershave. Makes them have nice breath...lol Hint, I tried it way back before I quit drinking for good and you can always drink mouthwash. Lavoris especially has a good shot of alky in it. Think that is why it's only available online and not in stores anymore. Like drinking cherry vodka and I know about that is well... personal experience again. I believe it's over 25% or 50 proof at least. Not methanol either, good old plain drinking booze. Could be grain alcohol (made from grain like e-gas is) or something else that ferments.

/ What to do with old gas/diesel? #24  
Methanol is drinkable if you strain it through a slice of bread, preferrablt stale sponge bread, just ask any panhandler. Do it all the time, heck I know alcoholics that drink aftershave. Makes them have nice breath...lol Hint, I tried it way back before I quit drinking for good and you can always drink mouthwash. Lavoris especially has a good shot of alky in it. Think that is why it's only available online and not in stores anymore. Like drinking cherry vodka and I know about that is well... personal experience again. I believe it's over 25% or 50 proof at least. Not methanol either, good old plain drinking booze. Could be grain alcohol (made from grain like e-gas is) or something else that ferments.
I think I’ll pass on those cocktails.

/ What to do with old gas/diesel? #25  
I think I’ll pass on those cocktails.
Been passing for over 30 years now. I actually met my lovely wife of 35 years now at al Alanon-AA meeting. Been together ever since, Best 2 moves I ever made actually. If it wasn't for he, I'd be deceased by now. Besides, being a Federal Gummit employee and now a retiree, we have positively the best healthcare you can get. She now pays 1/2 the premium but the Government pays the other half and that is for life and it transfers to me if she passes ahead of me, which is highly doubtful with my ongoing cancer stuff.

I always tease her about how I married her for her 'benefits'

/ What to do with old gas/diesel? #26  
Lavorus 4% now per website but do many tried and true bear little in common with original formulations.

/ What to do with old gas/diesel? #27  
Since I have least 2brush piles to burn each winter,I mix diesel with gas than soak mixture good,than step back light rag give it good toss.

/ What to do with old gas/diesel?
I think the alcohol in moonshine and any drinkable liquor is ethanol? Methanol is immediately poison.
Moonshine has both. Commercial alcohol has only ethanol. If moonshine is made correctly, the amount of poisonous methanol is minimal and the ethanol (which happens to be one of the antidotes for methanol poisoning) is protective and there are no ill effects (other than intoxication). When moonshine is made incorrectly, there is a large amount of poisonous methanol with minimal ethanol to counteract the toxic effects which in extreme cases results in hospitalization or death.

The reason that alcohol dependent/extreme alcoholic individuals can tolerate some mouthwash/rubbing alcohol/incorrectly made moonshine/etc. like 5030 mentioned above is due to the amount of protective ethanol that is also present in their system.

Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol has the same toxic effect as methanol and ethylene glycol, again with the same antidotes

Last edited:
   / What to do with old gas/diesel? #29  
Since I have least 2brush piles to burn each winter,I mix diesel with gas than soak mixture good,than step back light rag give it good toss.
In the forestry industry we burn piles and lopped slash with a 50-50 mixture of gas/diesel. It will burn but isn’t explosive like pure gas.

/ What to do with old gas/diesel? #30  
Moonshine has both. Commercial alcohol has only ethanol. If moonshine is made correctly, the amount of poisonous methanol is minimal and the ethanol (which happens to be one of the antidotes for methanol poisoning) is protective and there are no ill effects (other than intoxication). When moonshine is made incorrectly, there is a large amount of poisonous methanol with minimal ethanol to counteract the toxic effects which in extreme cases results in hospitalization or death.

The reason that alcohol dependent/extreme alcoholic individuals can tolerate some mouthwash/rubbing alcohol/incorrectly made moonshine/etc. like 5030 mentioned above is due to the amount of protective ethanol that is also present in their system.

Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol has the same toxic effect as methanol and ethylene glycol, again with the same antidotes
My grandfather had a little discreet distilling business during the prohibition period. He always told me that to avoid making poisonous alcohol, to only use copper or glass for the distillation pot and tubes. He told me that the toxic alcohol (methanol) came about when people used tin or galvanized pots for distillation. IDK if he was correct, but that is something I remember him talking about.