What ZD is replacing the discontinued ZD1511 Zero Diesel Turbo Mower ?

/ What ZD is replacing the discontinued ZD1511 Zero Diesel Turbo Mower ? #1  

Brown Dog

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 5115M 5101E H260 5115M 540M all MFD
I sold my ZD1211 great machine btw but lacked power on my steep hills.

I bought Two ZD1511-72 & absolutely love them but I need more power & an 84 inch single deck for my Hilly 18acre application.

My farm ground is too rough for FD models tiny deck wheels running on the ground.

i like the ExMark 96 & 144 inch cut but they are WAY Underpowered for my farm Hilly application AND rear discharge (n)

What IS replacing the discontinued ZD1511-72 ?? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
   / What ZD is replacing the discontinued ZD1511 Zero Diesel Turbo Mower ? #2  
I don’t know, but if mowing 18 acres, I’d be looking at one of the finish mowers with multiple decks and a 100” cut or more.
If the ground is really rough, as in your case, you might be a candidate for a 50HP cut with a pull-type finish mower.

/ What ZD is replacing the discontinued ZD1511 Zero Diesel Turbo Mower ? #3  
Yeah, 18AC and hills is out of the lawnmower range. And it looks like money is no object for you. I'd be moving to a tractor as Dude says. :cool:

/ What ZD is replacing the discontinued ZD1511 Zero Diesel Turbo Mower ?
I don’t know, but if mowing 18 acres, I’d be looking at one of the finish mowers with multiple decks and a 100” cut or more.
If the ground is really rough, as in your case, you might be a candidate for a 50HP cut with a pull-type finish mower.
I used a 6 7 & 9ft RFM behind a JD 4700 & 4720 Tractor for many years but the Zero is the way to go around chicken houses, barns, ditches etc.

I don’t have big open areas.

84-90 inch single deck is perfect

Last edited:
   / What ZD is replacing the discontinued ZD1511 Zero Diesel Turbo Mower ? #5  
If a diesel powered zero-turn is under powered I agree with the advice of getting a 40-60 hp tractor with finish mower. Make sure its a cab if there are no obstructions.

Then combine that with a zero turn to get around the chicken houses.

I can't imagine how long it takes you to mow 18 acres with a zero turn. I spend about 3 hrs mowing 3-4 acres and my ground is somewhat rough.

/ What ZD is replacing the discontinued ZD1511 Zero Diesel Turbo Mower ? #6  
Once you get into the multi deck zero turns, I *think* they are all rear discharge.

I know Case-IH/NH offered 40-50 HP tractors with 84” mid mount mowers that were side discrarge. They would be a really tough, rugged mower, larger cut, but slower than a ZT. Get one with a cab and it would make a great large acreage mowing machine. They may have stopped offering the 84” decks, but there’s some used ones out there.

I had planned on buying one for the cab, but I could own 3 used diesel zero turns for the same price.

Last edited:
The JD 4720 66hp tractor & 110” Befco 110 inch RFM was good but scalped places mowing at 4.5 inch height.

The ZD1511-72 isn’t saving me any time at all BUT it mows WAY SLICKER & I can trim WAY BETTER.

I’m mowing 8.5-9hrs to mow it all.

I normally mow 3-5hrs 2r3 times per week.

I loved rear discharge with tractor RFM but HATED the RD deck clumping with ZD1211-72RD (n)

It mowed just as slick as a SD but when grass got hi on me : it left windrows / clumps & I tried absolutely EVERYTHING from mulching blades, removing baffles & rubber flaps etc

It wasn’t too bad IF u mowed before grass got too hi

Cab tractors are too top heavy on my steep banks plus I can’t use them in my chicken houses lol

/ What ZD is replacing the discontinued ZD1511 Zero Diesel Turbo Mower ? #10  
I used a 6 7 & 9ft RFM behind a JD 4700 & 4720 Tractor for many years but the Zero is the way to go around chicken houses, barns, ditches etc.
That's the reason I keep a ZTR. The Ford gets mowing duty for most everything else with a rotary and a flail. I'll be getting a ditch/bank mower shortly for some of my areas. I spent my allowance on chipper so I'm saving up for that. :D