What's a good choice when buying a Multimeter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / What's a good choice when buying a Multimeter? #11  
I recommend a decent but not top of the line analog multimeter. You don't say what your level of experience is, which makes it harder to make a recommendation. Digital meters can give false readings due to their high input impedance. An open circuit may read as if there is some sort of voltage present. The reading will usually be erratic, but digital multimeters can also have an erratic display on noisy circuits. It takes experience to tell the difference.

An analog multimeter with a moderate input impedance will avoid these difficulties while providing readings that are more than accurate enough for the tasks at hand. I like multimeters with a 20 amp DC current range. Unfortunately, they are hard to find. Models with a 10 amp DC range are plentiful enough that there is no reason to skip this feature. You don't need to measure DC current all that often, but when you do -- you do. I won't buy a general purpose multimeter without at least a 10 amp current range.

This Tenma multimeter available from MCM Electronics is a good buy. Tenma makes decent equipment, and MCM is a good supplier.

/ What's a good choice when buying a Multimeter? #12  
I use a Fluke 71. Cheap and basic but has been ultra reliable and VERY easy on the battery power. A 9v will last several years for me. It's been dropped, kicked, bent, folded, spindled and mutilated and it still flat out works.

jb

/ What's a good choice when buying a Multimeter? #13  
Something to keep in mind a new rating for Digital Volt Meters is a Catagory or cat rating. IEC 6110 rating for Volt meters used on under 1000V. Cat I is rated the lowest and Cat IV is rated the highest for tansient voltage spikes and current surges. It is not usually noticed that the transient spikes are there until something fails. Look on the meter and see what rating it is and go from there. Following is the chart from some electrical training.

METER RATING TRANS. V TRANS. CURRENT(A)Strength
CAT I 600 V 2500 V 30 Ohm source 83 A
CAT I 1000 V 4000 V 30 Ohm source 133 A
CAT II 600 V 4000 V 12 Ohm source 333 A
CAT II 1000 V 6000 V 12 Ohm source 500 A
CAT III 600 V 6000 V 2 Ohm source 3000 A
CAT III 1000 V 8000 V 2 Ohm source 4000 A
CAT IV 600 V 8000 V 2 Ohm source 4000 A
Note that the cheap Cat.I can fail at a 2500V surge and that is fairly common.
I dont want to complicate the matter but basically get a meter with the highest rating you can affrord. Most Fluke meters are Cat. IV 600V rated which is what I use in my work. The cheaper meters can blow up in your face. I didnt say will but I did say can.

/ What's a good choice when buying a Multimeter?
Wow, I've received a lot of good feedback so far. I have little experince and would be either performing simple tests on my own, or following detailed instructions from a site like this when trouble shooting.
Thanks!

/ What's a good choice when buying a Multimeter? #15  
I figure the pecking order like this.

Analog - Simpson
Digital - Fluke

I got the feeling that $$ was an issue or I'd have reccomended some of the most expensive meters as well...

Most consumer grade meters function at about the same tolerance level.. if he can get by with a consumer grade meter.. he might as well buy on the low price end getting a model(s) that fit his needs. If he needs precision or lab grade meters.. he's better get his 'good' credit card out.

soundguy

/ What's a good choice when buying a Multimeter? #16  
Fluke or for a little less money greenlee. Cheap meters can blow up. Alot of the $20 meters arent fused an certainly dont meet any of the higher Cat ratings. If your using it on 12 or 24VDC then yeah you could probably get away with a cheapie. If its AC i wouldnt take a chance on the cheapies. At my work I have to use Fluke, its company policy.

/ What's a good choice when buying a Multimeter? #17  
Most fuse / blowing issues arise when someone tries to measure the impeadance of an ac circuit.

a cheap vom should be fine on a VOLTAGE check of an ac circuit as long as the insulation on the leads is correct... find a UL tag and you should be good to go..

soundguy

/ What's a good choice when buying a Multimeter? #18  
I work alot with electrical issues at work and some at home. I have had the expensive meters and the el-cheep-o. Currenty my Fluke smoked itself when I installed the battery, so I went to walmart. I know what you are thinking, but I found a 14$ meter that is digital, AC/DC and is NOT autoranging. Some people like autorange and some don't. Me, I like to select the range. I still have my Fluke, but for most cases, I found that unless it is a specalized thing you are doing, then 14$ works. I still use the fluke for things that are critical and my other meter for temps, but for bacic stuff, I still carry the 14$ meter. Laugh if you and some of our avionics techs do, but I have had this meter 2 years, and not a complaint. I have dropped it a few times and if it breaks tomorrow, I will be back at walmart. Just my 2 cents worth, Mike

/ What's a good choice when buying a Multimeter? #19  
Most fuse / blowing issues arise when someone tries to measure the impeadance of an ac circuit.

a cheap vom should be fine on a VOLTAGE check of an ac circuit as long as the insulation on the leads is correct... find a UL tag and you should be good to go..

soundguy

Thats correct. But, nobody plans on having their meter blowup when they go to work in the morning either. For me, a good meter is cheap insurance. Buy cheap at your own risk. I certainly wont trust a Walmart or other cheap meter with my life.

/ What's a good choice when buying a Multimeter? #20  
Get a Fluke buy it once and you will have a good safe meter that will probably last you a life time.

Status
Not open for further replies.