What's a good choice when buying a Multimeter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / What's a good choice when buying a Multimeter? #21  
If he needs precision or lab grade meters.. he's better get his 'good' credit card out.

Chances are if a fellow needs "Precision Meters" he will not be asking what he needs; he'll know!:D

In his first post Tree Monkey pretty well said it all for those of us looking for a meter but not having extensive knowledge of meters or of their application!:D

/ What's a good choice when buying a Multimeter? #23  
   / What's a good choice when buying a Multimeter? #24  
Most fuse / blowing issues arise when someone tries to measure the impeadance of an ac circuit.

a cheap vom should be fine on a VOLTAGE check of an ac circuit as long as the insulation on the leads is correct... find a UL tag and you should be good to go..

soundguy

Soundguy is correct. If later you need a better meter, then you can use the cheap one as a beater. But, cheap meters are what people use most of the time. My expensive meter is almost too good to take anywhere. If I break a cheap one, no big deal. Get the UL tag though.

/ What's a good choice when buying a Multimeter? #25  
Thats correct. But, nobody plans on having their meter blowup when they go to work in the morning either. For me, a good meter is cheap insurance. Buy cheap at your own risk. I certainly wont trust a Walmart or other cheap meter with my life.

You are comparing apples to oranges.. I am speaking about consumer grade meters.. you keep mentioning 'work'. If I am working / making money with my meter.. I won't have a harbor freight 3.99$ meter..

soundguy

/ What's a good choice when buying a Multimeter? #26  
I work for an electric utility and we used to use Fluke for everything. With several failures we started purchasing the Greenlee: Greenlee Products - Greenlee A Textron Company

for AC/DC usage. Spend it up front for the AC/DC because you'll need the other later one day, trust me. Both Greenlee and Fluke are good meters.

/ What's a good choice when buying a Multimeter? #27  
I use an meter day in and day out for the casual meter at home I usually suggest the good old wiggy the ideal ones have a continuity function built in too and they are just about bullet proof.

I personally prefer the fluke brand and suggest if some on wants one for home I suggest the T5 series has it all in one meter
http://us.fluke.com/usen/products/Fluke++T5.htm?catalog_name=FlukeUnitedStates&category=ELT(FlukeProducts)

tom

I like Fluke and the T5 looks pretty good, but 1000 Ohms max resistance is not to good. Basically this is for electrician type work and not all of that. Many things are greater than 1000 ohms.

/ What's a good choice when buying a Multimeter? #28  
Yep.. not having a near megaohms scale limits your work with electronics.. probably fine for 'house wireing'.. etc..

soundguy

/ What's a good choice when buying a Multimeter? #29  
Ideal also makes good meters. I have three of them that I use at work. As said Flukes are good. For use around the house I wouldn't get too carried away with price.

Terry

/ What's a good choice when buying a Multimeter? #30  
You are comparing apples to oranges.. I am speaking about consumer grade meters.. you keep mentioning 'work'. If I am working / making money with my meter.. I won't have a harbor freight 3.99$ meter..

soundguy

Fair enough. You can stand by your recommendation. Ill stand by mine. A fried meter doesnt care if your home or work. I wont recommend that anybody on here uses something that i consider a risk, home or work. If you look on craigs or ebay you can get a good meter for a much lower price if cost is a issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.