What's the story at Markham Welding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / What's the story at Markham Welding? #21  
If I'm not mistaken, I bet Christie Loflin is the same Loflin from Loflin Fabrication, who I think has been making skid steer attachements for many, many years in the same town as Markham.

Hmmm...I could be wrong.

/ What's the story at Markham Welding? #22  
letter_to_tractorbynet_e3213bdee300f98ae8f5.jpg

Judging from the tone of this letter, I'd guess that the Markhams' chose the "Highway" option.

/ What's the story at Markham Welding? #23  
"because it was time for them to move on" Hmm......

I see your point of view but, perhaps, the Markhams simply wanted to move on and were burnt out with that particular industry. I clearly have no idea. I suppose like others have said, only time will tell if "Gator" provides the same quality and competitive pricing. Hopefully they do. I've seen some buy a business and drop the quality or raise the prices to help cover buying the business. I guess we'll hear soon if that happens. My guess would be they know what it takes to be competitive with past experience. JMHO

/ What's the story at Markham Welding? #24  
WOW..a lot of speculation.
But- aside from being concerned about the welfare of the Markhams- who cares?
Really, business ownership change hands frequently, and often we never know about it. If this transition took place in 2009, obviously there has not been any noticeable change in the product.

What is important, is that the new ownership is VERY AWARE of the expectations of the customers/members of TBN. I think their willingness to communicate with a letter and post on this thread are good indicators that they will continue to step up.

I believe that there having been a transition period speaks volumes about the previous and new owners. No one "took the money and ran" and no one assumed they "knew it all". I'm not speaking about this case, but there are times where a transition of ownership includes a "trial" period where one or both parties may back out if they feel any aspect of the agreement will not be met (customer service, product quality).

Best of luck to all! I'm still saving my pennies for that tooth bar!

/ What's the story at Markham Welding? #25  
I received an email from Melissa on 16 Sep 10. I know it was from her because this was at the bottom:

I wish you prosperity and great health in 2010!
Melissa Markham
Office Manager
Gator Attachments @ Markham Welding
1-888-453-6252
Gator Attachments

I too, hope all is well with the Markhams.

Given the tone of this letter and the date, and the tone of Gator's letter, id say there was a recent drastic change at Markham. Phrases like "Markhams as of now are a Closed Topic" aren't exactly warm and fuzzy are they???

"because it was time for them to move on" Hmm......

Judging from the tone of this letter, I'd guess that the Markhams' chose the "Highway" option.

Highbean and JMC are right.

/ What's the story at Markham Welding? #26  
Given the tone of this letter and the date, and the tone of Gator's letter, id say there was a recent drastic change at Markham. Phrases like "Markhams as of now are a Closed Topic" aren't exactly warm and fuzzy are they???

When a company is sold or bought out, it's nice if the previous owners help out in the transition for a limited period of time.
The new owners must take control...employees must go to the new owners for decisions and the old owners must "let go". It's a tough transition in any business and especially a family run company.
Gator's new owners probably had to ask Markham's previous owners to leave...and that was a sound business decision.
Think about it...and think with your head, not your heart.

/ What's the story at Markham Welding? #27  
When a company is sold or bought out, it's nice if the previous owners help out in the transition for a limited period of time.
The new owners must take control...employees must go to the new owners for decisions and the old owners must "let go". It's a tough transition in any business and especially a family run company.
Gator's new owners probably had to ask Markham's previous owners to leave...and that was a sound business decision.
Think about it...and think with your head, not your heart.

Roy, your probably right. Just seems pretty sudden and drastic given melissa's previous emails and the dates of said email.

also it seems that Gator wasent exactly forthright when people called in looking to speak to the markhams. A simple "they are no longer with the company" might have been more appropriate?

/ What's the story at Markham Welding? #28  
Roy, your probably right. Just seems pretty sudden and drastic given melissa's previous emails and the dates of said email.

also it seems that Gator wasent exactly forthright when people called in looking to speak to the markhams. A simple "they are no longer with the company" might have been more appropriate?

Maybe...but we weren't there. And it may have been a decision the new owners had to make...forcefully.
Perhaps unfortunate...but probably necessary.
If you were in the new owner's position, you might well make the same decisions, however harsh they might be.

Give Gator a chance...might be a good company and good products at a competitive price. BTW, I never dealt with Markham or the previous owners.

/ What's the story at Markham Welding? #29  
The Markhams sold the business 1 1/2 years ago. Melissa dealt with customers for the past 1 1/2 years acting as if she still owned the business, or at least never mentioned otherwise. It sounds like it was time for them to move on. No one noticed any negative product or pricing changes during that time, so what's the problem with someone buying a business?
Best of luck to the Markhams, and welcome to TBN Gatorgirl!

/ What's the story at Markham Welding? #30  
This is the whole problem of owning a small business in general.... you provide customer oriented and personal service but then you deal with this kind of fallout when things change. Or you can be business-like from the start and deal with the fallout of not being personal enough. Its truly a no-win situation for a small business because you can't please everyone no matter how hard you try. Oftentimes you can't even please the same customer twice! And WAY too many people seem to think you have a personal relationship with them because they spent money with you ONCE and you were nice to them. I've been through that a couple times (which is specifically why I no longer have non-business customers!) and it seems its happened here in spades.

Status
Not open for further replies.