When to give up: lemon law for tractors.

/ When to give up: lemon law for tractors.
OH MAN! Scarey.... It won't come to that! Laughing! My head won't explode.... thanks for the jocularity. jocularity.jpg

"We have met the enemy and he is us." These have probably been in the tank since the very first time I filled the tractor from a diesel can. DOH! but a known is always better than an unknown. And this has been a useful study on farm "lemon" laws. If anyone lives in Minnesota - I can provide the statutes. Thanks for the comments, encouragement. topper.jpg

Last edited:
   / When to give up: lemon law for tractors. #43  
Wait, so these pieces loose in the tank were the problem?

/ When to give up: lemon law for tractors. #46  
that can certainly cause an intermitten stalling, floating around and blocking off the fuel outlet of the tank.

BUT......once you run a diesel out of fuel it is normally a pain to bleed and restart.

Did you have that issue? Everytime it stalled did you have to bleed the fuel system? And if so.....that would be be a certain that you had a fuel delivery issue and I wouldnt have though it would have been that hard for a dealer to troubleshoot.

If you never had to bleed to restart......either there is something different about your tractor, or that isnt gonna be the issue IMO

/ When to give up: lemon law for tractors. #47  
Dealer never thought to check for an obstruction in the flow of fuel? That's pretty scary. Should have been the first thing verified.

that can certainly cause an intermitten stalling, floating around and blocking off the fuel outlet of the tank.

BUT......once you run a diesel out of fuel it is normally a pain to bleed and restart.

Did you have that issue? Everytime it stalled did you have to bleed the fuel system? And if so.....that would be be a certain that you had a fuel delivery issue and I wouldnt have though it would have been that hard for a dealer to troubleshoot.

If you never had to bleed to restart......either there is something different about your tractor, or that isnt gonna be the issue IMO

I am not sure I understand all of your points. We did bleed the system twice here on the homestead, if I understand the term. We also shortened the fuel lines. The problem was so intermittent...sometimes it would not restart, sometimes it would.

I just know the cap wasn't good, but the thin plastic probably floated and settled. It would also explain why it ran at delivery. I just REALLY hope that was the problem... and not something else. I will post a follow-up if I can run for 25 hours or so without stalling.

Dealer never thought to check for an obstruction in the flow of fuel? That's pretty scary. Should have been the first thing verified.

It is what it is. I do have confidence in the dealer. But I have seen some owners do some pretty scary stuff, too! Thanks.

/ When to give up: lemon law for tractors. #50  
I am not sure I understand all of your points.

If you run a diesel out of fuel, it usually isnt as simple as just re-filling it and firing it up. There is normally a pretty lengthy process to bleed all the air out of the system and get it so it will run again.

Having that float around in the tank and blocking the outlet enough to kill the tractor, would be just like running out of fuel. And it shouldnt just "restart" at a later time without bleeding the system. Which normally involves cracking lines at the pump, and injectors until fuel starts squirting out, then tightening them back down.