When to give up: lemon law for tractors.

/ When to give up: lemon law for tractors. #51  
I'm glad you posted and hope the problem is behind you...

When I restore cars I always find interesting things in the fuel tanks...

/ When to give up: lemon law for tractors.
Got it. And yes, we did that twice....here in the driveway. But not every time. This is good for me to know. FYI, originally, I didn't know what was happening, and would walk away and restart after a few minutes or half an hour. Then I started logging the problems, and sending videos to the dealer each time. I am learning reading, by listening to others, and by doing. Book learning is just vanity; listening is gleaning wisdom; doing learning from real life - its hard, but it sticks with you.
One more detail - it would stall out, just like a vapor lock...and when it did restart- the engine revved wildly with clouds of black smoke until it settled down. Just sharing because you sound like a good resource.

/ When to give up: lemon law for tractors. #53  
"We have met the enemy and he is us." These have probably been in the tank since the very first time I filled the tractor from a diesel can. DOH! but a known is always better than an unknown. And this has been a useful study on farm "lemon" laws. If anyone lives in Minnesota - I can provide the statutes. Thanks for the comments, encouragement. View attachment 461080
How did you finally find those pieces in the tank?

/ When to give up: lemon law for tractors. #54  
It is what it is. I do have confidence in the dealer. But I have seen some owners do some pretty scary stuff, too! Thanks.

Sorry but I wouldn't have much confidence in the dealership at all.

Really? I posted for help, and also wanted to share the results. I have never used a gas/fuel can for anything but the lawn mower, and just didn't notice those bits were supposed to be removed and thrown away. I hope the problem is resolved, too. And that someone else can learn...and laugh!

When you start threads relying on information posted in OTHER threads which you don't reference don't assume anyone has read them.

It reads like it's a tractor for someone who only wants to work for 45 minutes.

Has the dealer ran it enough for it to stall on him?

/edit - I meant "It reads like it's an ideal tractor for someone who only wants to work for 45 minutes. Then take a break"

Laughing at the edit....Working 45 minutes and then taking a break might work some places. But in Northern Minnesota - summer may be over before the break is....

/ When to give up: lemon law for tractors. #57  
   / When to give up: lemon law for tractors. #58  
"We have met the enemy and he is us." These have probably been in the tank since the very first time I filled the tractor from a diesel can. DOH! but a known is always better than an unknown. And this has been a useful study on farm "lemon" laws. If anyone lives in Minnesota - I can provide the statutes. Thanks for the comments, encouragement. View attachment 461080

WOW- after all the trouble shooting,
have to say i am also surprised the dealer didn't rig up a temporary fuel supply to eliminate the tank as a problem early on...

Some of the diesel fuel tanks on my equipment and others also, have factory fine mesh screens in the filler necks, looks like that would have eliminated what sounds like a real nightmare.
hindsight is 20-20 though.

Very glad the tractor is fixed- and hopefully you can (Now) really enjoy your new tractor.:thumbsup:

WOW- after all the trouble shooting,
have to say i am also surprised the dealer didn't rig up a temporary fuel supply to eliminate the tank as a problem early on...

Some of the diesel fuel tanks on my equipment and others also, have factory fine mesh screens in the filler necks, looks like that would have eliminated what sounds like a real nightmare.
hindsight is 20-20 though.

Very glad the tractor is fixed- and hopefully you can (Now) really enjoy your new tractor.:thumbsup:
Yes - thats why I think it was the first fill from the can. I tarted using a mesh screen after many visits to my place and the 2rd tow to the shop. We thought dirty fuel and started buying at the CO OP, even though the RTV never had any problems. Hindsight is wonderful! Learn-From-Your-Mistakes.jpg

/ When to give up: lemon law for tractors. #60  
Sorry but I wouldn't have much confidence in the dealership at all.

I agree. If fuel flow was a diagnosed issue, the first thing he should have looked at was the tank. In fact, that's the first place I would have looked before the dealer even got involved.