Where to weld bucket hooks?

/ Where to weld bucket hooks? #11  
hmm, the top piece on my bucket was 3/16" thick. plenty thick. guess it depends on bucket.

You may want to re-measure. I relocated a set of hooks like yours (from the outer edges) after the guy twisted his loader. Anyway, your bucket is made of 1/4" mild steel with wear plates on the cutting edge and on the bottom sides. I'd immediately relocate your outer hooks and, if you plan on pulling or lifting much, possibly add a 1/4" plate under where the hooks should be in line with the loader arms.

/ Where to weld bucket hooks? #12  
You may want to re-measure. I relocated a set of hooks like yours (from the outer edges) after the guy twisted his loader. Anyway, your bucket is made of 1/4" mild steel with wear plates on the cutting edge and on the bottom sides. I'd immediately relocate your outer hooks and, if you plan on pulling or lifting much, possibly add a 1/4" plate under where the hooks should be in line with the loader arms.

well, not sure why. i had similar hooks on my old tractor that had thinner metal. been using those for 14 years without an issue.. i guess i could always add a stiffener if needed

/ Where to weld bucket hooks? #13  
I have 3 hooks on all of my FEL's. 1 in the middle and 1 at each arm attachment point. What has not been said, and most of us who have run tractors for a while know this, is if I'm only using one chain to pick with I do it with THE CENTER HOOK ONLY. Picking with one chain from the side is asking for trouble. Bent bucket or arms, a tip, or worse a roll over. I only use the two outer hooks in tandem. If I'm picking a RR tie or log and I don't want it to swing 360 degress and into my grill and damage something I pick with 2 chains and allways keep it as low as possible. :tractor:

/ Where to weld bucket hooks? #14  
I have 3 hooks on all of my FEL's. 1 in the middle and 1 at each arm attachment point. What has not been said, and most of us who have run tractors for a while know this, is if I'm only using one chain to pick with I do it with THE CENTER HOOK ONLY. Picking with one chain from the side is asking for trouble. Bent bucket or arms, a tip, or worse a roll over. I only use the two outer hooks in tandem. If I'm picking a RR tie or log and I don't want it to swing 360 degress and into my grill and damage something I pick with 2 chains and allways keep it as low as possible. :tractor:

yes, thats exactly what i do. i use the 2 outer hooks only when securing an object from swinging, or say tring a long object ....one on each side hook. the center one is the one used 95% of the time

/ Where to weld bucket hooks? #16  
My two cents. One hook (of the same size as the chain you would normally use) welded to a re-enforcing plate-say 4" x 4" plate welded in the center.

Ever see a big machine with anything but one hook in the middle? You are always lifting with one chain-it might be attached to a sling that is balancing the load but as far as the loader goes, you are centering the load in the middle.

/ Where to weld bucket hooks? #17  
I just welded some to the bucket of my B9200. My bucket already had a smiley face on it so I started by welding a 3 x 3 x 1/4 angle on the top. The angle spanned from one sideplate to the other. I then welded a hook on each side as well as one in the middle. I'll post some pictures this weekend.

/ Where to weld bucket hooks? #18  
Well heck, here are mine weled to the same bracket that attaches to the loader arms.
bucket_hook_2.jpg

/ Where to weld bucket hooks? #19  
I also used two hooks on outer edges but in the center I used a 2" receiver like that is on the back of your pick up. This way I can put a stinger in and use it to move trailer or boat with out getting out of the seat. You can also use the receiver with slings and the pin to put in the stinger. But what ever way you go put a piece of angle iron across the entire length of bucket I used a piece 3x3x1/2" thick. Once you have bent it's too late, so start right.
Do it right the first time.

/ Where to weld bucket hooks? #20  
Every person has an opinion, and theirs is always the most correct.

Of course mine is the most correct.

1. Three hooks are great. One in center, two to outside, and as stated earlier near the loader arms.

2. Use 3/8" hooks, which can also hold 1/4" or 5/16" chain. I use 1/4" grade 70 chain 98% of the time but the ability to use 3/8" chain is nice. Harbor freight sells a 2 pack of 3/8" grab hooks for 4 or 5 bucks. I cut off the chain/pin end with a portaband and weld the hook on. With a 70 HP tractor they have never bent.

3. A piece of 3/8" x 3" steel welded across the width of the bucket top makes a very robust strip to weld the hooks to.

4. You want to box in the curl with another strip of metal. The strip mentioned in #3 helps distribute the load.

Make gravity your friend, not enemy. Set the hook opening so gravity tries to pull the chain into the hook, not drop the chain out of the hook. The hooks on this bucket still hold the chain even when the bucket is level.

I don't recommend slip hooks at all.

And I just noticed the post is from 2007. Oh well, this might help someone else.

Attachments

• IMG_2341 sm2.jpg
    IMG_2341 sm2.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 2,053