Where to weld bucket hooks?

/ Where to weld bucket hooks? #21  
well, not sure why. i had similar hooks on my old tractor that had thinner metal. been using those for 14 years without an issue.. i guess i could always add a stiffener if needed

Hooks mounted outside the lift arms are simply asking for trouble. As I've said many times, I've cut off and re-located dozens of hooks in my shop. Every time the owner had a ruined loader because he had twisted it by using incorrectly mounted hooks on the outer edges of his bucket. Besides the pure physics and avoidable torque applied incorrectly for which an FEL is designed, it is also an accident waiting to happen. It's your tractor, your money and your life, but I'd cut those outboard hooks off and mount them properly in line with the loader arms as soon as possible.

Trust me, I am not saying this just so I can say "I told you so", it's to try to help a fellow member avoid unnecessarily tearing up a good machine and possibly getting hurt. I have nothing to personally gain for it. If I thought it funny to see guys tear up a tractor they spent their hard earned money on or possibly read about someone getting hurt, I'd say nothing. I've worked in and around machine shops and engineers who design equipment for decades. This is not a debatable topic. I'm just saying "don't shoot the messengers".

/ Where to weld bucket hooks? #22  
I also used two hooks on outer edges but in the center I used a 2" receiver like that is on the back of your pick up.

Generally when I've re-located hooks to be in line with the lift arms (after they've twisted their loader arms), it seems to be standard operating practice to cut off the center hook and weld a 2" receiver in the center of the bucket. Once you've used your FEL with your trailer hitch on it to move your trailer, you'll throw away any 3 pt. hitch trailer hitch setup you may have. It's far easier and you can see what you are doing without trying to twist your neck off.

/ Where to weld bucket hooks? #23  
Generally when I've re-located hooks to be in line with the lift arms (after they've twisted their loader arms), it seems to be standard operating practice to cut off the center hook and weld a 2" receiver in the center of the bucket. Once you've used your FEL with your trailer hitch on it to move your trailer, you'll throw away any 3 pt. hitch trailer hitch setup you may have. It's far easier and you can see what you are doing without trying to twist your neck off.

i tried that on my last tractor, but i couldnt reach under the trailer to hook the ball cause the bucket was too tall. i ended up making a hitch connector that bolted thru the lip of the bucket. Simply remove a flip lever clip, and pop it off. took a second to install. have used it for years.

mynew tractor has to lift a gooseneck that has a tongue weight of 1,500 pounds. im afraid a ball screwed thru bucket lip or top cap would bend. im looking at modifing aq skid mount hitch plate with a receiver for my trailer ball...like shown. i may possible just add a beefed up receiver to a set of loader mount pallet forks. still havnt made up my mind

Attachments

• DSC_0381.jpg
    DSC_0381.jpg
    815.9 KB · Views: 1,411
  • hitch.jpg
    hitch.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 738
  • 0317111122.jpg
    0317111122.jpg
    710.4 KB · Views: 958
  • 0317111123.jpg
    0317111123.jpg
    685.3 KB · Views: 919
  • 0317111123a.jpg
    0317111123a.jpg
    541.4 KB · Views: 1,029
Last edited:
   / Where to weld bucket hooks? #24  
For those that have welded ball hitch receivers to their bucket, how much drop in the hitch is required to get low enough to connect to a trailer. I realize that depends on bucket depth and trailer tongue height but I' not seeing how one could get the ball low enough to connect.

/ Where to weld bucket hooks? #25  
I would like to have hooks welded to my front end loader bucket.

Advice needed:

1. Should I have one, two or three hooks on the bucket? It is maybe four feet wide.

2. Should the hooks just be big hooks, or should their opening be sized the width of the chain?

3. How should they be welded to the bucket? Directly to the bucket or with some sort of reinforcing

4. If the hooks are too far back the bucket, the chain could bend that curl of metal at the top of the bucket. How should I handle reinforcing the curl?

I want to use the chain for lifting logs for moving around, and other heavy stuff you cannot fit in the bucket but can lift with a chain.

Any directions, drawings of pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Here's what I have on my Mahindra 5525 bucket (6-ft wide)

DSCF0064 (Small).JPG

My dealer installed them when I bought the tractor (I supplied the hooks, he kicked in the labor).

I bought the hooks at AW Direct

Gunnebo-Johnson Grade 80 Weld-On Anchor Hook w/ 4,400 lb. WLL - 3-3/4"H x 5"L - Mfg# 589357

Weld-On Grab Hook - Grade 70 - 5/16" - Mfg# 11-516WGH

My dealer welded a 1/4" thick stiffener to the top lip of the bucket and then welded the hooks to the stiffener. Very important to use adequate stiffening or risk bending the bucket out of shape.

/ Where to weld bucket hooks? #26  
JRP; The 2007 date is the day the OP joined this group, this thread was started on 03-15-2011, 02:26 PM. Thread or posted date is in the blue line top left corner right above the posters name !:)

/ Where to weld bucket hooks? #27  
For those that have welded ball hitch receivers to their bucket, how much drop in the hitch is required to get low enough to connect to a trailer. I realize that depends on bucket depth and trailer tongue height but I' not seeing how one could get the ball low enough to connect.

Use a drop down hitch receiver

Tow Packages

/ Where to weld bucket hooks? #28  
Use a drop down hitch receiver

Tow Packages

Yup, exactly. I could get under a tongue sitting on the ground if need be. Not being able to get low enough is a problem with the 3 pt. hitch setups, not on FEL setups.

/ Where to weld bucket hooks? #29  
i tried that on my last tractor, but i couldnt reach under the trailer to hook the ball cause the bucket was too tall. i ended up making a hitch connector that bolted thru the lip of the bucket. Simply remove a flip lever clip, and pop it off. took a second to install. have used it for years.

mynew tractor has to lift a gooseneck that has a tongue weight of 1,500 pounds. im afraid a ball screwed thru bucket lip or top cap would bend. im looking at modifing aq skid mount hitch plate with a receiver for my trailer ball...like shown. i may possible just add a beefed up receiver to a set of loader mount pallet forks. still havnt made up my mind

I can't say I've ever seen anything like that before. Pictured here is where I welded a receiver to the FEL on a friend's Kubota L5030HSTC. He wanted a hook along with the receiver although I don't see the need for both. He simply added a 2 5/16" ball on an insert and moved everything from his gooseneck trailers to his travel trailers around without any issue. With the insert removed the receiver is not in the way of anything. I can't see why you'd want to spend the money for anything different. Why try to re-invent the wheel? The hitch setup pictured would handle anything your tractor could handle.

Personally, all of my trailers are stored in my barns with concrete floors and concrete drives, so I use my forklift to move everything. Nothing is easier than that if you operate all on concrete (which I'm well aware a lot of guys don't - thus the FEL hitch). I despise burning a hole in a perfectly good fork to mount a ball. When the ball is off, you really weaken the end of that fork. I certainly cannot take credit for inventing the idea of welding a receiver on an FEL; guys have been doing that for years. However, I did design and invent a removable hitch for forklifts as pictured. If you have a forklift, there is nothing better when it comes to moving trailers. We even use it when lifting items with chains or slings using the forklift to assure the chain or sling does NOT slip off the end.

Since the economy is so bad, I'd be happy to take orders for the forklift hitch that I did design and build. :)

Attachments

• hitch.jpg
    hitch.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,233
  • PICT0359.JPG
    PICT0359.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 1,203
   / Where to weld bucket hooks? #30  
I can't say I've ever seen anything like that before. Pictured here is where I welded a receiver to the FEL on a friend's Kubota L5030HSTC. He wanted a hook along with the receiver although I don't see the need for both. He simply added a 2 5/16" ball on an insert and moved everything from his gooseneck trailers to his travel trailers around without any issue. With the insert removed the receiver is not in the way of anything. I can't see why you'd want to spend the money for anything different. Why try to re-invent the wheel? The hitch setup pictured would handle anything your tractor could handle.

hmmmm. possibly. just dont want to damage my bucket with the 1500 pound tongue weight of the wifes goose neck horse trailer