Which 2024 diesel 10k gvwr truck?

/ Which 2024 diesel 10k gvwr truck? #31  
I run f350’s. I’m on my 11th ford diesel since 1997. I put about 50k a year on them. I will say I’ve had minor issues. I’ve been through all the iterations of fords diesel and never had an issue, including the 6.0 and 6.4. I hate dodge with a passion because of their cheap parts business model, but admit the Cummins is an excellent diesel. Heard that the current Cummins is an in house Stellantis built engine stamped Cummins.

Where’d you hear that? Some of the stuff fordies come up with is beyond ridiculous. Ask the guy you heard that from to join up here and bring his proof. I mean there’s some one who really thinks Stellantis has a undercover Cummins factory? 😂
Could be rumor. the gmc 2500/3500 looks are growing on me. I dont know much about the Chevy/gmc or its reliability, i admit i dont know much about the ram(dodge) either. I know fords. Currently my 2022 f350 king ranch with 117000 on it has had an upper oil pan leak since new, its a cab off fix and i chose to just use brake cleaner every oil change as it just a “seep”. I have 150k warranty and can get it fixed at any time. That said recently i’m leaning towards it being a rear main leak..but to get it verified is to do warranty and when the tranny is pulled and rear main is good its immediately getting cab took off to fix oil pan, cant expect warranty to be ok with me saying if its not a rear main just put it backed together, i dont want to go further..lol

that said its great truck truck with great power, good mpg, and pulls 15k like its a canoe on boat trailer. I’m sure the other 2 do also.

even though i hate dodge(ram), i say go drive them and pick what YOU like. At this point they all pull incredible weights just fine. They all have an equal chance of issues.

Funny, I owned a dozen Fords from 1989 to 2020 and spent more money than I’d like to admit repairing the 6.4’s.
Those motors were garbage. And I don’t care how “strong the bottom end is”. The top end was mickey mouse junk. No wonder they only went 3 years. They’ve had 4 different engines in 11 years until they got it right.
That would drive me nuts having 4 different engines in just 11 years. Ford make good trucks, but the 6 & 6.4 were just bad. Their runs were very short, which kind of proves it, too.

Last edited:
   / Which 2024 diesel 10k gvwr truck? #32  
My 2022 f350 was delivered in 6 weeks After ordered. Some of the issues were “modules” but if you knew what to avoid when “building your order it was a fast return. another major issue was dealer allocation and not being able, or willing, to push order because of its profitability. Keep the faster, more profitable trucks at the top of their allotment.

/ Which 2024 diesel 10k gvwr truck? #33  
Where’d you hear that? Some of the stuff fordies come up with is beyond ridiculous. Ask the guy you heard that from to join up here and bring his proof. I mean there’s some one who really thinks Stellantis has a undercover Cummins factory? 😂

Funny, I owned a dozen Fords from 1989 to 2020 and spent more money than I’d like to admit repairing the 6.4’s.
Those motors were garbage. And I don’t care how “strong the bottom end is”. The top end was mickey mouse junk. No wonder they only went 3 years. They’ve had 4 different engines in 11 years until they got it right.
That would drive me nuts having 4 different engines in just 11 years.
I think it was at ford-diesel but was probably misconstrued as the 6.7 being solely made for the ram pickups. Hence why the “rumor” was added. As for the 6.4, i had one in my 2009 that i deleted and was an absolute joy. It ran great and pulled like a beast, i had no ideal at the time of the “Mickey Mouse top end”. I just rolled coal and drove. Got lucky. To date, the only truck to leave me stranded was dodge, but i think you addressed that the pre-2019’s were junk?

/ Which 2024 diesel 10k gvwr truck? #34  
I think it was at ford-diesel but was probably misconstrued as the 6.7 being solely made for the ram pickups. Hence why the “rumor” was added. As for the 6.4, i had one in my 2009 that i deleted and was an absolute joy. It ran great and pulled like a beast, i had no ideal at the time of the “Mickey Mouse top end”. I just rolled coal and drove. Got lucky. To date, the only truck to leave me stranded was dodge, but i think you addressed that the pre-2019’s were junk?

Pre 2012’s. The 6.7L Ford seems good, but the 6.4/6L were just bad. Ford had the 7.3 until 2002, the 6L from ‘03-‘07, the 6.4L from ‘08 to ‘11 and the 6.7 from 2012 until today. So 4 different displacement engines in 11 years with few interchangeable parts. Ford parts guys must have more diesel engine parts to keep track of than the other 2 brands combined.
I spent at least $10,000 fixing the 3 6.4’s I had. Not one made it to 175,000 miles without top end failure. That’s gasser territory. Rocker arms, injectors & injector harnesses and constant DPF failures were the biggest problems I had. 6.4’s were known for puking rockers and dpf issues. My Ford tech friend was on speed dial and my Christmas card list. lol
6L Fords stretched head bolts and lifted heads. They had EGR issues and drank coolant. Ford suffered 10’s of millions in lawsuits from those motors, but was very stingy in offering their loyalists any recourse. They told us politely to “stick it” where the blue oval don’t shine.

Both the 6 & 6.4 may have been built strong, but they’re in the Ford diesel “boat anchor” museum now. The 6.7L was their final shot and to their credit, they did well.

I agree that any diesel can get deleted and “roll coal”. That’s easy. Take all the emissions junk off them and they run fine. The challenge is building a diesel that can run with emissions.

I was a died in the wool Blue Oval boy. The 6.4’s soured me real bad. And not just one bad Ford. I had like 5 of them.
In a Ram now and never been happier. I learned the fallacy of brand loyalty when I was loyal to Ford.

Last edited:
   / Which 2024 diesel 10k gvwr truck?
Why cant you get a ford in 6 months?
I don’t know, that’s what they told me it would be if I built one vs buying one the normal higher gvwr they had on the lot.

/ Which 2024 diesel 10k gvwr truck? #36  
I’ll still look at Ford next time around, but the new Ram/Cummins/ZF-8 is going to attract serious pullers like never before.

The other reason I’m sold on Cummins is their extensive use in 150-300HP Ag tractors, and 200-600HP OTR medium & heavy trucks like Paccar, International and Freightliner. (I really like the looks of the L-9 Cummins!)

Not aware of Ford selling any diesels to anyone else outside their pickup trucks.

I learned don’t get burned by brand loyalty. One bad truck or tractor shouldn’t make anyone turn their back on, OR stay 100% loyal to any brand.

Best thing to do is keep your eyes and options open. ;)

Last edited:
   / Which 2024 diesel 10k gvwr truck? #37  
This is for the anti diesel guys who love their gassers. Love the frame twisting torque of the diesel in this video.

/ Which 2024 diesel 10k gvwr truck? #38  
I don’t know, that’s what they told me it would be if I built one vs buying one the normal higher gvwr they had on the lot.
Uno, there is a weird deal with dealer allotment and a level of importance the dealer gets to assign to orders. It’s worth going to multiple dealers. Not sure how gm or dodge operates. Only bought ford since ‘97.

/ Which 2024 diesel 10k gvwr truck? #39  

That would drive me nuts having 4 different engines in just 11 years. Ford make good trucks, but the 6 & 6.4 were just bad. Their runs were very short, which kind of proves it, too.
Fordie huh?…
i tried to find the thread where the rams 6.7 was discussed. Actually thinking the sentiment was that Cummins CMEP (Columbus midrange engine plant) was built solely to produce the rams Cummins engine. And that the engine has been ”designed” for ram pickups at a certain pricepoint, and not the same I6 used in other heavy application, hence “in house cummins stamped engine”. Personally i took it as it was a Stellanits ran factory, cause they shutdown when ram shutsdown.

of the big 3, ford is the only one to spend the money to design and build their own diesel engine for the light truck, instead of designing a truck around an engine. Not sure if ford sells the engine to other manufacturers as its solely designed for the superduty.

i stopped feeling the desire for deleting for power or torque years ago, as these damn engines make more power than i need, and i’m talking all 3. It’s an amazing level we are at with them. My old 1997 7.3 over in the barn, what is it..245hp and 500ish torque? Where we at now, 450hp and 1000ftlb torque? Even tuning back in the day those were crazy numbers. Now i just long for ripping out the fa@@y emission crap. I’d almost be happy living with a dpf if the def and the worst, the egr were gone.

/ Which 2024 diesel 10k gvwr truck? #40  
Fordie huh?…

Yeah, is that a disparaging nickname?
i tried to find the thread where the rams 6.7 was discussed. Actually thinking the sentiment was that Cummins CMEP (Columbus midrange engine plant) was built solely to produce the rams Cummins engine. And that the engine has been ”designed” for ram pickups at a certain pricepoint, and not the same I6 used in other heavy application, hence “in house cummins stamped engine”. Personally i took it as it was a Stellanits ran factory, cause they shutdown when ram shutsdown.

Many companies like CDC buy the rights to Cummins engines, so it’s not impossible. My Magnum has an 8.3L “CDC” Consolidated Diesel Corporation engine in it. At the end of the day, it’s an 8.3L Cummins. Case backhoes have 359 cubic in 5.9L “Case” diesels in them. Sounds like a 5.9L Cummins to me.
of the big 3, ford is the only one to spend the money to design and build their own diesel engine for the light truck, instead of designing a truck around an engine. Not sure if ford sells the engine to other manufacturers as its solely designed for the superduty.

That doesn’t mean a thing to me. Paccar engines are Cummins. Freightliner, IH and others use Cummins, Detroit, etc. I’d rather a truck manufacturer use the best diesel, not one made by them. All Ford gains by making their own engine is higher up front investment and more money in returns in the future. It’s more of a business model than actually getting the end user the best diesel.

I’ll put Cummins over Ford 24/7/365 in diesel manufacturing experience and quality.

i stopped feeling the desire for deleting for power or torque years ago, as these damn engines make more power than i need, and i’m talking all 3. It’s an amazing level we are at with them. My old 1997 7.3 over in the barn, what is it..245hp and 500ish torque? Where we at now, 450hp and 1000ftlb torque? Even tuning back in the day those were crazy numbers. Now i just long for ripping out the fa@@y emission crap. I’d almost be happy living with a dpf if the def and the worst, the egr were gone.

Meh, I just leave it alone. IMO, it’s stupid to delete trucks.
1. you are breaking the law and subjecting yourself to trouble
2. you are voiding what warranty you might have
3. you are reducing the appeal to a smaller group of buyers when you re-sell.

I have found most of the DEF delete horror stories more the operators fault or expecting perfection in extremely difficult conditions.

The DPF/DEF systems have been improved greatly over the last 16 years.