Which animals you think you could beat in a fight

/ Which animals you think you could beat in a fight #91  
My big stick only holds 3 rounds in the magazine. .300 Win Mag.
Mine only holds two,

Chapuis-Loaded-01-S.jpg

but that's OK, I've never needed more than two anyway...

SR

/ Which animals you think you could beat in a fight #92  
A garter snake, don't read end if you like snakes. darn thing was in my barn when I was trying to do work in there so I wanted it gone, after several humane attempts to get it to leave it became agitated and decided to strike at me. Obviously non poisonous I still became pretty upset, decided enough is enough grabbed a shovel and it decided to retreat to my snow blower crawled in the impeller hmm I thought summer maintenance startup is a great idea, after a brief shop clean up no more snake, I hate snakes btw.

/ Which animals you think you could beat in a fight #94  
Mine only holds two,

Chapuis-Loaded-01-S.jpg

but that's OK, I've never needed more than two anyway...

SR
What in the Wide World of Sports lives in your neck of woods that needs something that kills at both ends of the gun???

Those must be $6-7 a pop unless you reload.

/ Which animals you think you could beat in a fight #97  
I want details on your double rifle!
Me too!!!

Back in the 90's, when I still lived in California, I met a guy at my Taxidermist that had several Rigby double rifles. He invented the stainless steel staple used in surgery, and was one of he richer people that I've ever met. I told him that I was a big fan of the old Rigby Double Rifles, so he invited me over to see them. I forget how many he had, I think there where five or six of them in his collection.

He put on white gloves to handle them, and he made me put on white gloves to handle them. At that time, he said that he had just paid $60,000 for one of them, and $90,000 for another. Those are the only amounts that I remember him talking about.

They where beautiful rifles, in pretty good shape, but definitely had some wear on them. One was a .416 Double, but I forget what the others where. At that time, I think it was $10 for each cartridge. He invited me to shoot it the next time he went to the range, but that never happened before I moved to Texas.

He also had a full mount Polar Bear standing next to a full mount Brown Bear on either of his pool table. Both where over 9 feet!!!!!

/ Which animals you think you could beat in a fight #98  
I want details on your double rifle!
I believe that is a Chaupis Elan double barrel rifle.

The man that I learned a lot of bushcraft from once said that if you are hunting big game without much backup, double barrels were important for the preservation of your life. His father made much of his living taking people out for big game trophy hunts in the bush. He had a trove of stories of near misses by animals who took a dislike to the hunters. The general bar for hunters around me seemed to be pretty high. One man had earned his pocket money as a kid by shooting zebras, but the hides only had value if there were no holes. (Really) His son was national champion marksman a few years running. I don't have that talent, and never have.

The general agility of the game that he described is part of why I have doubts about what animals I could handle.

All the best,

Peter

/ Which animals you think you could beat in a fight #99  
I've always wanted a double in some flavor of 416. I've had the 458's, 416's and 375's in bolt guns but damn, a double would be nice

/ Which animals you think you could beat in a fight #100  
I almost bought a .500 Jeffery bolt gun a little while back. I have a buddy that has a similar bolt gun in .505 Gibbs, similar ballistics. The recoil I expected, but I didn't expect how much it will twist with the recoil.

I agree though, a double rifle would be cool to have. Fortunately, I shoot LH, so it's probably saved me from finding and buying one. Although it did take a ton of willpower to decline on a LH double in .404 Jeffry that another friend was selling.