Which brand to buy

/ Which brand to buy #31  
I don't care for Stihl saws, but yes, Stihl's don't needs carb adjusting anymore than others. Stihl does have a rep for easy flooding, but most problems are user related.

The name Stihl doesn't automatically mean top quality. There are other choices. Like Husqvarna and Dolmar. Any pro saws from the top three will last many, many years. If you take care of them!

/ Which brand to buy #34  
Would farm boss be the same as a husky rancher ?? My rancher is about 10 yrs old and has cut a lot of wood. I bought it from a husky dealer. It still runs good, Just under powered for a 20'' bar / chain. Would a rancher from a dealer be any better than a rancher from the box store ?

/ Which brand to buy #35  
Would farm boss be the same as a husky rancher ?? My rancher is about 10 yrs old and has cut a lot of wood. I bought it from a husky dealer. It still runs good, Just under powered for a 20'' bar / chain. Would a rancher from a dealer be any better than a rancher from the box store ?

The only thing the Rancher is good for is covering the sales tax upon trade-in for a Stihl...JK, sorry;-)

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ Which brand to buy #36  

Yep. The 55 ranchers were pretty good saws though. The 455 ranchers took a step back IMO

/ Which brand to buy #37  

Yours is comparable to the Stihl 029, but a little better. The 455 is comparable to the new farm boss. Like LD! said the old 55 is better than the newer 455 Rancher. I guess the same can be said about the farm boss. Both companies make better models.

Same saws from box store or dealer, but you get better service from a real dealer and I would rather support a real dealer.

If you are in the market for a new saw, look at Husqvarna 353/346xp 545/550xp for 16-18" bar. 359/357xp 555/562xp for 18-20" bar. The 3xx series was recently replaced by the 5xx series, but there are new old stock out there. All of these models have a metal case and are pro models, not plastic homeowners.

/ Which brand to buy #38  

Also, your saw would be happier with a 18" bar. It's a good saw, take care of it and you'll get another 10 years from it easy!

/ Which brand to buy #39  
Are you starting with fresh gas mixed to proper ratio with a good quality oil?

I like to run quality premium gas, with Husky or Stihl oil. I get the little bottles, and only mix one gallon at a time; try to minimize mixed gas sitting around getting old/funky.

Finally got a chance to open the side covers and remove the muffler, everything was clear no obstructions, but the piston what I could see of it through the exhuast port was burnt but the cyl. wall was clean. I am guessing that the engine overheated even though it wasn't running that long. I put it back together and cut down a tree that was maybe 2" in diameter and it ran like nothing ever happened. Tommorow I am going to push it and start cutting the bigger logs 6" to 8" diameter and see if it happens again. I am being told there are no new parts around anymore for this age saw.

/ Which brand to buy #40  
Also, your saw would be happier with a 18" bar. It's a good saw, take care of it and you'll get another 10 years from it easy!

That's what I was thinking 18'' bar would be a lot better for for this 55cc rancher. About a new saw. No I don't need another saw. I just bought this 372 a few months back. Now that 372 is a real saw !