Which UTV for Me?

/ Which UTV for Me? #31  
you might wanna check into them gorilla axles i seen on quite a few web sites that they ain't all they are (cracked) up to be.now something you might wanna consider if you do have near your house is a machine shop. have you some hardened stainless steel shafts made verses buying some already made or contact a machine shop over the internet and see how much they charge to make you a set if you ever compared the size of the front shafts of a hpx to the shafts of all the other utv's a stock hpx shaft is 1'' and all other utv's are like 1/2'' and 5/8'' now i never seen a rtv's front shaft so i can't coment on them. now what you could do is what i was thinkin of doin to my hpx shaft to make it longer .i am thinkin of adding 2'' to it and then sliding a piece of sspipe over the shaft (the whole lenght)and cutting slices in the pipe so i can slug weld it to the shaft to make the shaft even stronger. you could do the same thing at your house for alot less than buying a new set of front shafts. and if you mess them up oh well so be it you were gonna buy new one anyway right? i pretty much know what i'm doin when it comes to welding and fitting .thats what i used to do for a living.

/ Which UTV for Me?
OK, I feel like I am beating a dead horse--and maybe I am--but I finally got to drive a Rhino for more than just a few minutes. I really liked it, but man, it is small in size!!! It seems to me to be put together a little better than the Polaris I drove, but the difference seems small. I liked the new LED gauges a lot. It is hard, though, for me to believe this machine could pull more and do more than my Gator would. The Yamaha for sure was fast and would seem to be a great off-roader. I don't know how it would fare with some of the quite heavy loads I haul. I have tentatively decided to wait until after the November 4, 2006 Sarasota John Deere product demo, so I can see about the new Gator before committing. I am still 99% sure I will go with either a Rhino or a Ranger though.

John M

/ Which UTV for Me? #33  
jcmseven said:
I don't know how it would fare with some of the quite heavy loads I haul.

The only limiting factor will be how much you can put in the bed. As you noted, it is physically smaller. However, in real world use and in the video you can get from Yamaha, it will handle the same amount of weight. If you only load the Yamaha to it's "rated" capacity, you can still fly down the trails and steer easily. If you load the Polaris to it's rated capacity, it's rear is waaay down and it won't steer. I rode with my buddy, at his insistance, after putting a load of dirt in his Ranger. For one reason, he wanted me to see that it wouldn't turn and, the other reason, he wanted my weight in the front to help it turn.

Although I really like the idea of the Ranger, I doubt I'll buy one just yet. (I just sold my Rhino - I'd had it two years) Right now I'm leaning more towards buying a new camo Rhino (my first one was just green) or waiting until next spring to buy a new RTV with the factory cab. For a quick trail side by side, Yamaha has a considerable advantage in having the quickest and most durable unit out right now.

P.S. I'd love to see what JD is going to have to offer with their new Gator. Like you, the only reason I ever got rid of any of the Gators I had in the past was just because it no longer fit the need I had; not because of any issues or problems. I'm thinking it will be just an upgrade from their existing line with whatever improvements that may need to be made, not a completely different beast. My JD dealer told me to expect something that is geared more towards competing head to head with the Kubota RTV.

/ Which UTV for Me? #34  
(Yamaha has a considerable advantage in having the quickest and most durable unit out right now.)i really disagree if you pop into your search engine on any computer rhino problems you will fine pages upon pages.the rhino's rear ends are cracking up fromd riding them and hauling loads there are threads 4 and 5 pages long an these very subjects there is no way you can say the rhino is the most durable unit out there !!! they are making brackets to try and keep the rear ends together.lol the rhino's can noway haul as much as the rtv or the hpx.that's crazy go to Side by Side Leadership: Shop On-Line for Books and Training Materials

RUV - Recreational Utility Vehicles - UtilityOffRoad.com or this place look up the problems on diferent ubtv's and tell me the rhinos is the most durable utv out there .please sorry but i had to but in.

/ Which UTV for Me? #37  
Well fellas, nothing personal, but I'll go by what I've owned and used and not what some unknown person has typed on the internet. I've owned JD, Kubota and Yamaha. I stand 100% by what I've said. You go buy all three, run them for a couple of years and then come back and give me your impressions. Until then, I only take what you say with a tiny grain of salt. Nothing personal, some people believe everything they read on the internet; I don't. ;)

/ Which UTV for Me? #38  
So tell me what problems as far as durability did you have with your JD equipment ?

/ Which UTV for Me? #39  
Dargo said:
P.S. I'd love to see what JD is going to have to offer with their new Gator. Like you, the only reason I ever got rid of any of the Gators I had in the past was just because it no longer fit the need I had; not because of any issues or problems.

Do we have a problem understanding the written word? :confused: I had previously assumed the extremely poor grammar and spelling was slang. Now I have to wonder...

/ Which UTV for Me? #40  
Sorry forgot about that part. I don't go back and read every post a second time before I make a post. :roll:

Tommy was talking about how it isn't reliable and the HPX and kubota don't have those problems then you say to buy all three and run them for a few years. Without going back to read everything you had said it would be reasonable to infer that you were coming from a reliablility stand point. ;)