Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #91  
Oh, over there by Danville? That's not that far south, wow that's surprising how different the snow falls was! Is that your usual winters?
Not usual, just an odd winter. I had the rear chains and rear blade on the tractor but never needed them last year. We have a ravine and dam to cross on our private driveway. It's pretty steep and can get slick. The sun doesn't hit it so it never melts once the temperature drops without salt or calcium chloride. We always keep an AWD for my wife and a Front WD for me. They both were able to get in and out without plowing last year. There have been many years where I had to plow and salt 8-10 times. Looking forward to a light year again :). Watch out for ice up there.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #92  
I also love winter and plowing snow. So much so in fact, that I got a smaller tractor last year. That should let me stretch the job out a bit, such that I can have even more fun.

My bigger tractor (2005 JD 4120 43 hp turbocharged 4wd diesel with back blade and 400X loader, nocks out the lighter snowfalls way too fast for my liking. I can usually finish both of our driveways, and my neighbors on each side, in under 1/2 hour. I have plenty of room to store snow (34 acres) so I prefer a plow to a blower.

I’m hoping that my new rig (1957 Farmall Cub with front blade) will stretch that job out over an hour.

I keep the diesel’s block heater plugged in to an outlet that is switched inside our house. When it snows overnight, I flip it in on for 30 - 60 minutes (depending on how cold it is out, and that engine cranks smoother than it does in the summer. If it snows while I’m at work, I call my wife before making the 30 minute drive, so that the tractor is warmed up when I get home.

Another advantage of that gas powered Cub (besides its small size) is no need for a block heaters. Gasoline is a much better winter fuel than diesel.

06A28B1D-2B7E-4E50-BEB9-BC000D39094F.jpeg

9A51D2F1-27E3-4060-AEBB-94931FBC904D.jpeg

We also heat our house with wood whenever the temperature gets below freezing. Nothing I know I’d feels better than sitting inside, in front of that warm fire, when the temperature outside gets real low and the wind is whipping.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #94  
Myself, I think of plowing and blowing snow as a necessary evil to get through with as easily, quickly and warmly as possible.
I'd much rather be sitting with my feet up and enjoying my coal fire which only needs tending to once or twice a day.
A bit over 3 ton of coal sitting on pallets ready to be brought up and burned.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #95  
I like plowing too, that part of winter I don't mind at all.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #96  
I like plowing too, that part of winter I don't mind at all.
Even shoveling can be enjoyable. If the snow is not too heavy and it is a beautiful day out, it's a pretty nice way of getting some exercise outdoors.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #97  
I also love winter and plowing snow. So much so in fact, that I got a smaller tractor last year. That should let me stretch the job out a bit, such that I can have even more fun.

My bigger tractor (2005 JD 4120 43 hp turbocharged 4wd diesel with back blade and 400X loader, nocks out the lighter snowfalls way too fast for my liking. I can usually finish both of our driveways, and my neighbors on each side, in under 1/2 hour. I have plenty of room to store snow (34 acres) so I prefer a plow to a blower.

I’m hoping that my new rig (1957 Farmall Cub with front blade) will stretch that job out over an hour.

I keep the diesel’s block heater plugged in to an outlet that is switched inside our house. When it snows overnight, I flip it in on for 30 - 60 minutes (depending on how cold it is out, and that engine cranks smoother than it does in the summer. If it snows while I’m at work, I call my wife before making the 30 minute drive, so that the tractor is warmed up when I get home.

Another advantage of that gas powered Cub (besides its small size) is no need for a block heaters. Gasoline is a much better winter fuel than diesel.

View attachment 823676
View attachment 823675

We also heat our house with wood whenever the temperature gets below freezing. Nothing I know I’d feels better than sitting inside, in front of that warm fire, when the temperature outside gets real low and the wind is whipping.
where are you located?

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #98  
Even shoveling can be enjoyable. If the snow is not too heavy and it is a beautiful day out, it's a pretty nice way of getting some exercise outdoors.
I got me a snow pusher hand shovel, I use it where my tractor won't go. It's easy, works great, and yes I don't mind using it at all!

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #99  
Get out there on a nice crisp sunny day, where the hairs in your nostrils freeze after the first few breaths. Then you know it's around 10F.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #100  
Get out there on a nice crisp sunny day, where the hairs in your nostrils freeze after the first few breaths. Then you know it's around 10F.
Yep, and my furnace will be burning up my propane, oh boy. I made until spring on one summer fill last year. Hoping to do it again this year. One good hard freeze below zero for a week is enough for me, then back in the 30's with no snow equals a perfect winter.