Who rides a motorcycle?

/ Who rides a motorcycle? #21  
My family has been riding motorcyles for many years.
We ride dual sport adventure bikes now.
We have 3 yamaha XT225's and a Kawasaki KLR650.
We have ridden dirt roads in Ut, Co, NM, AZ, TX, FL, VA, KS, SC, GA, AR, WV and NC.
Its 10 miles dirt road to our home here in the NC mountains so a dual sport is a must!
sherpa

I see you live in Mortimer near Brown Mtn? Many memories of the Brown Mtn system, some great and few not so great, including one trip to the emergency room in Hickory when my then 16 year old broke his foot on an XR400, or so we thought, turned out to just be a bad sprain. Kept telling him to keep his toes up in rock gardens, had to learn the hard way:cool:

/ Who rides a motorcycle? #22  
Back when I was in college, my first real ride was also a 66 Suzuki X-6. Amazingly fast for such a small machine. Continued riding while in the Army (another X-6 in CA), then picked up a 71 CL350 in Japan; brought it back home and STILL kick myself for selling it!

Didn't ride for quite a while, then my son showed up with a 76 XL250 he'd found for about $35.... Helped him get that up & running and then got bitten again.

Guess I never got out of the 70s as far as styling goes- have had & sold a few old Japanese bikes, but now have "only" four, all of which were given to me --though that does NOT mean they were free of cost...:rolleyes:

Now I ride not every day, but pretty much every month out of the year if the roads are clear. Mostly the 75 CB360, just cause it's so simple- push button, start, go, and get 50+mpg. As long as the trip is less than 35 miles, one can avoid the dreaded Honda twin "numb-butt" syndrome!:D

For longer trips, I came into an 82 Yamaha Virago 750. Very smooth, plenty of power (I only weigh about 135) and quite comfortable. No spokes, no sprockets, no chain--love it!

Latest acquisisiton is a 71 CB100 which had been in a barn for years & years. Still a "work in progress."

Yes, riding is/can be dangerous, but manageable if you stay constantly alert for dummies, and always assume that that guy who's looking right at you WILL pull out right in front of you!:mad:

Attachments

• Getting cleaner-8:18:08.JPG
    Getting cleaner-8:18:08.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 107
  • CB360T (8:08).JPG
    CB360T (8:08).JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 200
  • XL250 (8:08).JPG
    XL250 (8:08).JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 172
  • 18 Aug, 08 (R).JPG
    18 Aug, 08 (R).JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 119
   / Who rides a motorcycle? #23  
Used to have a Ninja back in college.

/ Who rides a motorcycle? #24  
That fairing is worth more than a couple of bucks. They stopped making them years ago, even though they just stopped making the bike in 2006, or thereabouts. There are still a bunch of 750's out there.

Nice 750 Vulcans. I had a 700 Vulcan for a year or two. I thought it was a great bike. The suspension and mid range power were much better than I had anticipated. They are very capable motorcycles. Mine had a frame mounted fairing on it when I bought it. I removed it and had to find a headlight for the bike. I installed a large 7 inch light from a 750 Honda. I had to cut down the back of the housing a little to clear the instrument cluster. The final result was great. I still have the fairing somewhere in one of my barns.

/ Who rides a motorcycle? #25  
Haven't owned a bike since the early '80s. Thought about buying a Dual Sport when gas was over $3 bucks a gallon. :)

/ Who rides a motorcycle? #26  
Have 2 and a half Harleys...

Attachments

• 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    673.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    636.5 KB · Views: 185
   / Who rides a motorcycle?
Haven't owned a bike since the early '80s. Thought about buying a Dual Sport when gas was over $3 bucks a gallon. :)

You might get your wish, our here in Oregon, Super is just about $3/gal, I paid $2.92 yesterday, regular was $2.75/gal.

The commuting factor is one of my thoughts, but it isn't just gas, all the wear and tear on a car is much higher than on a bike (at least I told my wife that) :D:D:D

D.

/ Who rides a motorcycle? #29  
Here one of my older Adventure Bikes, a 1998 KTM 620:

KTM620a.jpg

/ Who rides a motorcycle? #30