Why aren't Masseys more popular?

/ Why aren't Masseys more popular? #1  

foreman81

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2210
Why aren\'t Masseys more popular?

To put it simply, I 'd like to know the reason why we don't hear too much about the 1200 series compact Masseys on TBN? By all means, I think they are the nicests machines out there packed with performance and also backed by a leading tractor manufacturer. I visted two MF dealers in my region and tried a 1260w/ldr just for fun, (and it was fun!). I was also impressed by the quality and competitive prices against blue, orange and green. Unless there's somekind of scandal or fatal flaw hidding underneath them, I think they are highly underrated. Is it just me? Or am I not the first to notice this? I'd buy a Mf1260 over a Jd4400 or TC35 anyday!

Pictured mf-1250 (turboless 1260) from www.tractorsmart.com

Attachments

• 41-113046-MF1250PS.jpg
    41-113046-MF1250PS.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 437
   / Why aren't Masseys more popular? #2  
Re: Why aren\'t Masseys more popular?

That is a nice looking tractor. I wonder if MF really makes it, or if its made in Indonesia or somewhere.

/ Why aren't Masseys more popular?

Actually, they are assembled in Japan and feature ISEKI (similar to Yanmar) engines like their new cousins, the Agco ST's. Don't know too many domestically assembled compacts. In fact, I know none.

/ Why aren't Masseys more popular? #4  

Indeed they are a great looking tractor also a little more price tag..compare to the top 4 tractors.
I believe Massey had a little trouble there for a while in the front office,and now starting to offer different compacts tractors.

/ Why aren't Masseys more popular? #5  

Foreman,

Not sure where you are from, but based on your other question about Universal tractors, I'm presuming you are from Canada. I'm in Alberta and as I've mentioned before on the board, I looked at all brands of tractors in my area.

There is a very large MF dealer in my area here. He deals mainly in the larger Ag tractors, but had a number of compact units on his lot. He was about $2K - $3K higher than the next highest (JD) for similiar HP and size. Pretty much made me strike MF off the list as he was unwilling to move at all on that. It was too bad because they are very nice little machines.

Kevin

/ Why aren't Masseys more popular? #6  

The biggest problem in the US is that MF dealers are outnumbered 2-1 by NH& Case and 3-1 by JD. It is hard to find dealers around here so it is hard for people to see them. I have 3 NH dealers, 2 Case dealers and 4 JD dealers to one Agco dealer and 1 MF dealer. The MF dealer has a large selection of machines and does well in his immediate area but the Agco dealer has no new or used machines on his lot so everything has to be ordered in for you to see it. Personally I think Agco would have been smart to kept the Allis Chalmers name instead of AGCO.

/ Why aren't Masseys more popular?

Kevin,

I'm from Cumberland (Ottawa now) in Eastern Ontario but I know a few land owners in Québec where Universals are quite common, beign cheap and all (don't wan't to offend my relatives!). I can understand why some MF dealers might not want to lean their prices, depending on where they are situated. Fortunately I reside in area where competition is intense on compacts, what with Kubota guys and a strictly compact JD 4 miles away from one of the MF dealers. All I can say is I find it unfortunate that they are not more readily available and affordable.

/ Why aren't Masseys more popular? #8  

Foreman,

<font color=blue>All I can say is I find it unfortunate that they are not more readily available and affordable. </font color=blue>

I certainly agree!! The MF looks like a great little compact. It seemed very heavy and well built. Unfortunately it was the "affordable" thing that prevents us from seeing more in our area.

Kevin

/ Why aren't Masseys more popular? #9  

I don't know about the compacts, but thier larger Ag tractors are very popular in my area.

Ed King

/ Why aren't Masseys more popular? #10  

I love my MF 1250. I think that the price has more to do with the area and the dealer. When I bought mine, it was $1000-$2000 less than the same size of JD, NH or Kub.
I don't know, but the amount of time that a dealer has the tractor on their lot before they have to start paying on it may have a lot to do with it also. I think most dealers, just have a year before they start paying. MF allows their dealers two years.