Why aren't Masseys more popular?

/ Why aren't Masseys more popular? #11  
Re: Why aren\'t Masseys more popular?

I thought the 1250 was a great looking machine, specs looked pretty good also. My Massey dealer was the most persistant among the Massey, NH, & Kubota dealers. He wanted to sell me the 1250 with a loader real bad. He was high on price but when he knew I was going to buy in a day or two he dropped his price to match the NH TC33D with the 7308 loader. I liked the independent rear PTO. I liked the gas tank in the rear. When I was comparing the specs with the NH I made a list of each feature and which one was better or which one I preferred. The NH's pro column was twice as long as the Massey's pro column. The dealer then faxed me a photocopied sheet with different specs than the ones in the glossy brochure. This sheet was obviousely thrown together and wasn't even accurate when quoting the NH specs. Overall I liked the tractor enough but I just couldn't bring myself to buy it. Massey makes big tractors, and I believe they will continue to make big tractors for quite a while. They could drop this insignificant compact tractor line in a heartbeat. Thats why I did not buy it. They don't have a big enough market share. Their parts distribution is not going to be as good as the big three. Great product today, maybe a huge problem 5 years from now.

Spence

/ Why aren't Masseys more popular?

Spence,

I see you took the logical approach to comparing the brands with the specs and visiting dealers. I also found that NH has better specs on paper. But I admit I'm biased on the Masseys and I like the control layout and the smooth tranny operation. Overall you can't go wrong with any of those brands. But it's this sentimental approach to one particular brand that makes theses forums interesting with contrasting opinions. But to go back on the specs, I'd like to see a 3rd party evaluation of these imported compacts similar to the Nebraska tractor test lab in order to CONFIRM these specs. Because I find that they (specs) are the main tools for marketing these little machines and it just doesn't seem right. In a sense we are purchasing "good specs" with a tractor around them, rather than just a good tractor. Anyways, thats my two cents on that. Besides, I'm reverting to just looks now because I know the specs ordeal is beginning to get overrated (kinda like the everchanging computer upgrades). The masseys look more to me like tractors, what beign square and bulky. I find the New Hollands present a "sportbike like" image with the fancy hood and curved loaders (16LA). I'll let you go on that :)

Thanks for your imput

Foreman

/ Why aren't Masseys more popular? #13  

I looked at MF before I bought my Cub. There is a dealer close to me, and I stopped several times. They indeed do look like good, rugged tractors. Their seating arrangement was the most comfortable and roomy of all the compacts I tried out. In the end the deciding factor was the dealer, as all of the compacts I looked at weren't that far apart in price or specs. I have a good friend that has a MF1250 with a MF backhoe on it. He has had no problems in the 2 years he has owned it, and he hires out the rig doing backhoe work. It gets used hard.

Corm

/ Why aren't Masseys more popular? #14  

Spence, In my area I found Massey to be about $1,000 higher than JD, NH, or Kubota. I liked the looks and the function of the tractor but they were really low in the area of hydraulic flow, loader performance, and hitch capacities. As you mentioned, the dealer showed me different brochures listing very different specs. Which ones were right? Who knows. The deciding factor that made me walk away was that the 1240 tractor with loader could not lift the front of the tractor with the loader. All the other brands have enough power to do this. No amount of throttle or curling the bucket or anything else would get the loader to exert some muscle.

/ Why aren't Masseys more popular? #15  

Simple, in the a lot of what MF made was poor quality and their "service after the sale" was virtually non-existent. Their name is forever tarnished in the eyes of many farmers.

They did have, what were, the best engineers in the industry, but the bean-counters running the assembly plants always used the cheapest crap they could find to build the machines with. The most common problem with MF equipment, especially combines, is bearing failures.

Compare resale values of combines of similar age and capacity. Say a MF 750 vs. a JD 6000. Rather than comparing ads. Call a dealer and ask what he'll give you for a 750 and call back later and ask the same question about a 6000.

/ Why aren't Masseys more popular? #16  

In central WV a lot of farmers still run MF tractors. You don't see brand new ones though. I think it's more a situation of how many dealers are in the area. I have no idea where one is. There are three JD dealers within 1 1/2 hour's drive. Those who bought tractors recently have mostly gone with either the JD 5000 and 6000 series or new or newer NH or Ford tractors.

/ Why aren't Masseys more popular? #17  

In a full size tractor here in WV,they(Masseys) are probably the more common tractors,as for the compacts there are more Kubotas around and a few Massey Fergusons,very rarely do I ever see a JD.Thats in the western part of WV.

/ Why aren't Masseys more popular? #18  

I was actually considering a 1240 at one point. I ended up with a kubota L3010. There is a local MF dealer (closer to me than the Kubota dealer), but he never seemed to have much on the lot. The dealer has been around for along time, but you never know how much longer they would be there. If they closed I really don't know where the next dealer is. This being my first diesel, I really didn't want to take a chance. Too bad, the 1240 and 1250's look like nice tractors. The farmers near me use alot of older Massey's, but I really feel that Kubota is coming on strong in the hobby farm/horse ranch-sized places. I see more than any other brand.

/ Why aren't Masseys more popular? #19  

Amen to that. Everyone has heard of Allis Chalmers!

/ Why aren't Masseys more popular? #20  

Case IH, formerly International Harvester, was one of the bigest tractor manufacturers in the world. Until about 10 years ago, they made compact tractors. They are now only in the "big" tractor market. Nobody can safely predict who will still be around in 5 years. New Holland could just as easilly do the same thing.