Widest tiller a BX 24 type tractor could operate?

/ Widest tiller a BX 24 type tractor could operate? #11  
_RaT_ said:
Anyone have experience with a small tractor like the BX 24 or BX2350 using a tiller? 42", 48" MAX on the width? My soil is pretty easy to till.

I have a larger tractor and a 60" king kutter gear tiller. Sale price was $300 less than the CCM MR-160 (which looks about the same as the KK unit).

Can the small tractor lift the 630 pounds and not be overpowered by it? Tillers can give quite a push to my L3410 when hitting hard soil, roots and especially rocks. You may have quite a ride with a big one, but if the soil is pretty loamy and not compacted, full of roots and rocks, you may be able to use the wider one. Tilling "smoothness" is dictated by the number of tines. More tines means a smoother day of operation, less tines and the tiller will be a bucking bronc the whole day.

For many first pass situations, it's good that the tiller is only 5' wide, but for most 2nd pass or second season situations, a 6' would speed up the operation.

jb

/ Widest tiller a BX 24 type tractor could operate? #12  
I have the Landpride 50" tiller on my Case Sub. In rock hard, bone dry clay dirt that was packed down with a JD 110 TLB, I had to make multiple passes, but in softer soil, it does just fine in one pass. I'd say go with a 48-50" tiller for that size machine.

/ Widest tiller a BX 24 type tractor could operate? #13  
I used a 48" tiller on a BX2200 for 5 years. Great fit. I would be leery of anything larger on a BX frame.
I sure like the side-shift setup on that Rotomec.

/ Widest tiller a BX 24 type tractor could operate? #14  
If you take a look at the Implement Limitations section of the BX24 Owner's Manual, it recommends a maximum tiller cutting width of 42", and a maximum tiller weight of 375 lbs.

It is always possible to operate a BX24 beyond those limits; in doing so however, one would normally expect premature wear and repairs.

/ Widest tiller a BX 24 type tractor could operate? #15  
I also have a Kubota BX24. I am looking at two tillers. Both are sold by Agri Supply and are Caroni brand. One is a 32 inch and the other a 48 inch. The 48 is 6 inches and 27 pounds over the max size recommended in the Kubota manual for the BX24. I have a hillside for a lot and could go up and down but am leary of tales of tillers grabbing and taking off. The 32 is twice as wide as my Troybilt Pony so is a little faster and more controlable I would hope but not nearly as desirable as a 48 would be with the offset feature. Anyone make a small(36 to 48) reverse tine tiller? Should be less likely to take you for a ride I would think. One outfit makes one but way too big. I am not after a ton of speed, just something that is comfortable to use on slopes. I also have a BX24

/ Widest tiller a BX 24 type tractor could operate? #16  
I have a KK 48" tiller on my BX23 and absolutely love it. Here in western CT we have plenty of rocks as well. I just got done tilling about an acre for a deer food plot. The tilling operation is violent for sure but I didn't feel that the KK was too big for my BX23. I tilled down only about 5" but that was more than enough to get rid of the old growth and open up the soil. I tilled many rocks through the tiller and tilled right up over a couple monsters as well, you knew something was going on for sure but it never felt out of control.

The only word of caution I would add is that the shaft length is pretty close. At full up it there is only about an inch of clearance and at full down I have about 4" of engagement where the book recommends six. I would highly recommend the 48" KK, it is was $1,198 at TSC.

/ Widest tiller a BX 24 type tractor could operate? #17  
I run a 400lb 45" Agric gear drive tiller behind my little 15hp 2wd Mitsubishi tractor, it does great on flats but I do have to be careful on slopes due to lack of enough ft. end weight and 4wd.

/ Widest tiller a BX 24 type tractor could operate? #18  
A follow up question from a real newbee... can all the 3 pt tillers be offset to cover tire tracks? I am looking to buy a B40C tiller, the one recommended by Kubota. I would like to off set in the garden, but center till now the rows of grape vines.

/ Widest tiller a BX 24 type tractor could operate? #19  
   / Widest tiller a BX 24 type tractor could operate? #20  
_RaT_ said:
Thanks you guys, I was at the CCM site and thought the MR110 or MR130 would be suitable. I am still pondering the purchase of a sub compact like the BX or other models offered by competitors. I have a large need for a tiller.

CCM Gear Drive Rotary Tillers
I have a new BX1500 with a new KK 48'' tiller on it.
I can also use the tillier on my BX23 and my other BX1500.