Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do?

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
I'm told that Microsoft will no longer provide support for Windows XP after April 8th, 2014. The following article discusses some options; but from what I hear about Windows 8.1, I don't think I want that, but I don't know anything about Windows 7. Not sure I'm ready for a Mac, but we'll see. Any thoughts anyone?

Protect Your PC After Windows XP Support Ends in April

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #2  
Any thoughts anyone?

IMO it would make more sense to buy a new computer than to update an old computer. Why waste money on a new OS when a new computer already has the OS? :confused3:

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #3  
I was a big fan of XP;I now have Windows 7 Ultimate.It is a big step up and a very good system.I have been told Windows 8 can be run in 7 mode and that would be my choice. No need for touch screen stuff on a PC.

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #4  
who cares. i havnt updated my xp computers for several years anyways. everytime i did an update i had some type of systems failure. I run a program called sandboxie that creates a virtual hard drive in the computer. with this program it is 100% impossible to get a virus installed...much less malware. Ive been running it for years....never a single issue.

the xp is on a computer that runs propitiatory cutting software that isnt win 7 compatible, so i have to keep it. Personally i like win7 alot more than xp Some day ill have to pay for the system software upgrade and swap everything over....but its over $3,500 for the software.

and i HATE touch screens....everyone i use is all greasy and smudged.

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #5  
I'm with NYbirdman. I switched from XP directly to WIN 7 and it is nice. I know you can still get the Win7 install disk and Dell still has laptops and desk-tops loaded with WIN 7, if you don't want to build your own. Just make sure you order and get the genuine Windows install disk and don't rely on the Partition pre- loaded recovery version.

I still have an XP desktop for OLD programs and games, but will not allow it on the internet anymore.

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do?
who cares. i havnt updated my xp computers for several years anyways. everytime i did an update i had some type of systems failure. I run a program called sandboxie that creates a virtual hard drive in the computer. with this program it is 100% impossible to get a virus installed...much less malware. Ive been running it for years....never a single issue.

the xp is on a computer that runs propitiatory cutting software that isnt win 7 compatible, so i have to keep it. Personally i like win7 alot more than xp Some day ill have to pay for the system software upgrade and swap everything over....but its over $3,500 for the software.

and i HATE touch screens....everyone i use is all greasy and smudged.

I hate touch screens too...so much that I have never used one and don't want to use one. I leave that up to my grand kids. I did a Google on Sandboxie and there is a free version. It sounds too good to be true!

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #7  
I don't think it will be the end of the world after MS stops offering support for XP.

My thinking is that if you're still running a 12-13 year old operating system (was released in Oct 2001), that active support is the least of your concerns! It's already pretty darn outdated, support or not.

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #8  
Sandboxie is a good tool to run individual programs in a sandbox to test them before you install them permanently on your computer to make sure they aren't malware infected. The makers of sandboxie recommend that you still run anti-virus and anti-malware on your machine.

As for XP support going away, all that means is they will no longer develop patches, updates, etc... for XP. It will be stuck in time. If you run a decent anti-virus/malware package you should still be O.K for a while. Just remember that it is a 13 year old operating system. So, there have been 13 years of hacking attempts on it. Time to update to Windows7 or higher.

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #9  
I hate touch screens too...so much that I have never used one and don't want to use one. I leave that up to my grand kids. I did a Google on Sandboxie and there is a free version. It sounds too good to be true!
I've never driven the Goodyear blimp, but I'd sure do it given the chance. :laughing: Touch screens have their place. :thumbsup:

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #10  
I have a couple of old computers that are still running XP. They are all at least 2gig processors with 1gb of RAM. These will not upgrade to 7, but with XP, the processor, and the RAM they rival 7 as far as operating speed. I plan to keep the virus definitions updated and hope for the best. I'm sure however that sooner or later their version of IE will not be compatible, but hopefully Google or Firefox or someone will keep a browser that will be compatible.
HP is also offering limited models of laptops and desktops with 7. Also have a look at Newegg or Tiger Direct.