Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do?

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #61  
I recently upgraded to Win7 Pro, 32bit from XP. The only things I had a issue with was printer diver (used HP emulation to get around that issue) and Ipviewlite (IP camera viewing and recording software). It takes a while to get used to the Explorer and finding some of the setting that were moved. It even runs a program from win 3.11. Updated my wife's PC to Home Win7 64 bit and the win 3.11 program won't except in the virtual PC mode, which is cumbersome. The other issues are about the same.

I use Firefox for internet as I like it better.

Apache Open Office will do most of what the majority of users need and its free! So most really don't need MS version.

Messed with 8 and did not like it. I would be able to get used to it but why should I have to relearn a interface to do the same o stuff.

I have Linux running on another PC and its a good operating system but doesn't have the same software available as do PC and Mac. Win7 is similar to XP so that I don't have to relearn how to use it.

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #62  
Windows XP IE8 - can't sign in on Ebay,can't even bring up Paypal and several other sites. Have to go through Chrome.Happened a couple of days ago,anyone else? Is there a fix,or is it time for a new computer?

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #63  
Personally, I would switch to Chrome or Firefox, install a good free antivirus program and keep the computer as long as it isnt overly slow and you like it.

Aaron Z

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #64  
MS has stopped providing security updates to XP. There is no way I would do money related transactions on XP via the Internet once the security updates cease. There are constant security updates being pushed out by MS and other vendors that are REQUIRED not a must have.

If there are no money transactions happening, just web browsing and such, I might use the system but the system still might get hacked and any personal information on the system is at risk. The system could also be used to attack other computers as well. Antivirus will minimize this to a certain extent but any personal information you have on the system is vulnerable.

Later,
Dan

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #65  
MS has stopped providing security updates to XP. There is no way I would do money related transactions on XP via the Internet once the security updates cease. There are constant security updates being pushed out by MS and other vendors that are REQUIRED not a must have.

If there are no money transactions happening, just web browsing and such, I might use the system but the system still might get hacked and any personal information on the system is at risk. The system could also be used to attack other computers as well. Antivirus will minimize this to a certain extent but any personal information you have on the system is vulnerable.

Later,

Dan

Hey Dan,

I still have a win95 operating on a Compaq . Only use it for video poker game. The game no longer loads to newer computers. Last win pc i bought is a windows 8.
Haven' touched in couple years. I hate it and waste of time and $$ for me. My office still runs 3, XP pro machines on network. I don't allow them on net.
I may have to upgrade, but have refused to upgrade Quick Books also, but upgrade is due this Jan for new payroll. . Might be tricky because QB is not
really a friendly company, unless they can sell you a race car when all I need is to go around block. So that's my sad story. I long for some one
to say to me; "we give no hassle service". Words, mostly, no longer in English language. Thats my rant.

Now the rave....not quite wild enthusiasm. My last Apple computer was an Apple IIe. Last Feb I bought a MacBook Air. Why spend all that money
Microsoft is usually cheaper. I can't give any good reasons myself. I got it as a prize on drawing. Didn't want to refuse prize. Had to learn from seat of
pants how to use. Kinda fell into it. I'm using it now. I drifted into an Apple store and everyone was nice, and I appreciated it. I do have an iPhone and
couple iPads. So MacBook not real strange to me, a Windows guy. In store folks invited me to come in anytime and they would help me with any questions.
They even said they had mini classes at times and it was free. I haven't done that yet, but I believed the info was right.

Good points I have heard. Don't need virus protection. Up grades are always free. Nice people to deal with. lot of college students seem to like Macs.
Not a whole lot of major changes. Holds trade in value.

I still learning about my Mac. What do you guys out there think? What am I missing??

Cheers........Coffeeman

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #66  
We got a iMac last July after years of windows and I think it's a pretty good deal.My wife is the tech person in our family and she has iPad,iPhone,ilap top, and all that and I don't think we would ever go back.It's a little more money initially but the service is great and no virus worries makes it worth it to us.

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #68