Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do?

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #41  
CCleaner will clean up the PC and make it faster, love that FREE program!

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #42  
CCleaner will clean up the PC and make it faster, love that FREE program!

Son-in-law who works on computers told me about CCleaner a few years ago, so I use it, too.

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #43  
Son-in-law who works on computers told me about CCleaner a few years ago, so I use it, too.
ive been using that myself for years. great product

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #44  
Planned obsolescence. Computers had to be upgraded to go from 3.1.1. to 98. Upgraded again for XP. Now upgraded again for the latest.
Can't see what was gained. Still just surf the net, print stuff, store info, use excell etc like we used to. Need more computing power to do the same things, how is this an advantage?

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #45  
Exactly... the telephone my Grandparents had in 1930 still functions flawlessly in 2014.

It's a rotary dial, as are all the phones in my parents home...

Even my California Grandparents TV from the 50's with no preset channel selector works with a $20 convertor... I had to give it a try just to see.

Guess I'm one of those that goes kicking and dragged when what I have serves me well.

The last thing I'm interested in is being a willing pawn to increase profit for an industry that generates profit by abandoning it's customers... isn't that called coercion?

I can be an early adopter when the technology is breakthrough and provides real value to me... other than that, call it a fad or just progression... it's a bandwagon you are not likely to find me on.

Carred a simple pager for years for work... that thing did work anywhere and everywhere... even when it was submerged.

Company replaced it with a cell and even living in the center of a huge 8 million population region... cell does not work in my own backyard and for several miles of road I travel to get to work.

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #46  
For years, we used refurbished computers, at least a couple operating systems old. Last summer, we bought a new one, Windows 8. IT SUCKS!!!! You'll spend 35 minutes doing what XP did in 5, even though there is 4 times the computing power. We finally broke down and bought an I-Pad. It's limited, but based on Mac, IT WORKS. There are times a real computer is needed however, so we struggle on with Microsoft crap.

Microsoft is nothing more than a corrupt, almost monopoly, that screws the people who use it in the name of huge profits only. I'm NEVER buying another product from them. If I can't afford a different make/brand, I'll go without.

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #47  
Well, after saying for a long time that I would not buy another OS, I finally caved in and bought Windows 7.
I did this mainly because of the problems I had with Vista, the lack of support and the fact that the software aftermarket companies were really pushing to get people so sign up for $40 or so, for driver updates etc. I researched as best I could and found that Windows 7 could be installed without losing my files, pictures etc. So I took the plunge and ordered through an online company which sold the full edition of Windows 7 Home Premium for around $70 plus tax and shipping. In all, for me in Canada it cost me a total of $100 Canadian.
I installed the system as per instructions and had absolutely no problems. System took a few hours to go through everything and all went smoothly. When I switched off the computer to retire for the night I got a prompt that said there were 179 updates to install !!! It did that and it took quite a while to do - I stayed up just to ensure that all went well, and it did.
So far I have had absolutely no problems with the new install - in fact my computer has never run as well before. The operation of the W7 has been flawless to date. No more problems with logging on to sites, no more hassles with annoying sales pitches from software companies (coincidence maybe).
I am absolutely thrilled with the computer performance now as it has never been so good before. The only con so far is the loss of old emails that I kept for reference. Contact information was transferred ok, just the old emails in "outlook express" not transferred. They may be able to be recovered later once I find out how to do it.
So, for the cost and the ease of installation I would recommend Windows 7. Maybe later go to Windows 8.1 if need be, but for now I am very happy with the new Win.7 install. At the price I paid, it can't be beat !

Thanks

Jim

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #48  
Well, after saying for a long time that I would not buy another OS, I finally caved in and bought Windows 7.
I did this mainly because of the problems I had with Vista, the lack of support and the fact that the software aftermarket companies were really pushing to get people so sign up for $40 or so, for driver updates etc. I researched as best I could and found that Windows 7 could be installed without losing my files, pictures etc. So I took the plunge and ordered through an online company which sold the full edition of Windows 7 Home Premium for around $70 plus tax and shipping. In all, for me in Canada it cost me a total of $100 Canadian.
I installed the system as per instructions and had absolutely no problems. System took a few hours to go through everything and all went smoothly. When I switched off the computer to retire for the night I got a prompt that said there were 179 updates to install !!! It did that and it took quite a while to do - I stayed up just to ensure that all went well, and it did.
So far I have had absolutely no problems with the new install - in fact my computer has never run as well before. The operation of the W7 has been flawless to date. No more problems with logging on to sites, no more hassles with annoying sales pitches from software companies (coincidence maybe).
I am absolutely thrilled with the computer performance now as it has never been so good before. The only con so far is the loss of old emails that I kept for reference. Contact information was transferred ok, just the old emails in "outlook express" not transferred. They may be able to be recovered later once I find out how to do it.
So, for the cost and the ease of installation I would recommend Windows 7. Maybe later go to Windows 8.1 if need be, but for now I am very happy with the new Win.7 install. At the price I paid, it can't be beat !

Thanks

Jim

Jim in 2009 purchased an new computer that had Vista software (Terrable ) 2010 they came out with sys 7 and all was well until about a year ago and the hard drive quit. Thinking instead of buying a new hd would get new computer and bought a Win 8 carbon copy of Vista I have refered to this win 8 as a teen ager with ADHD and off the meds. to be able to function. then wim 8 came out with the (.1) a little better but still not as useful as the Win 7

Now have purchased a new hard drive reinstalled win 7 and all is well again. nice trouble free ,stable in functionality and able to load the
farm records for tax keeping with out wonderingf where to look for them this time.
And want to look at photos don't have to chase where they were last sent. Whether in the clouds or on some else's computer.

I am think if Windows quits supporting win 7 I will quit sending money to H-P for new computers and M/S will not have me for a testing bag in soft ware.
ken

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #49  
I'm with you...

All I need is a basic operating system...

Spent a lot of money on Windows 98 and was satisfied and still use it.

Have XP on my work computer that I paid for and Win 7 on a $199 laptop I bought for on the road.

A few friends have gone to shareware and like it... they are computer geeks if any use that term anymore.

Last summer I was away for 10 days on a job... no cell service, no computer and no newspapers... except for gathering info on the NET which would have been helpful twice... it was refreshing being unplugged!

/ Windows XP Going Away April 8th What to do? #50  
Microsoft is nothing more than a corrupt, almost monopoly, that screws the people who use it in the name of huge profits only. I'm NEVER buying another product from them. If I can't afford a different make/brand, I'll go without.

Microsoft has become a bloated bureaucracy utterly out of touch with its customers. Rumor has it that Windows 9 (or whatever they call it) will be out next year. Hopefully it wont be a W8 pig with lipstick.

Last edited: