WoodMaxx TM-86H Sub-Compact Chipper -- Does the Hydraulic In-feed Make a Difference?

/ WoodMaxx TM-86H Sub-Compact Chipper -- Does the Hydraulic In-feed Make a Difference? #1  

The Suburban Farmer

Silver Member
Tractor
Deere 2320
I know there are other reviews of the WoodMaxx chipper family out there in the forums, but I was wondering if anyone had a specific insight as to how well the hydraulic infeed system works on the TM-86H Compact-Tractor chipper? From what I've read, this is supposed to be different / better from the Wallenstein and other gravity fed chippers in 2 ways:

1) Hydraulic infeed will help feed smaller crotches or bends into the chipper better than gravity alone

2) By slowing the hydraulic infeed rollers, you can chipper bigger stuff with less horsepower

The hydraulic feed is the main reason I'm considering getting the WoodMaxx instead of a Wallenstein BX series, because it really does sound like a great addition to a smaller chipper if it helps avoid jams and misfeeds. But I'm curious if anyone had used one of these and could compare it to the other value-priced gravity-fed chippers? I've used a rented gravity-fed chipper in the past, and it worked fine, but there was definitely room for improvement in the feeding mechanism.

I have a Deere 2320 with 18 PTO HP, so I'm on the low end of the HP range, but the WoodMaxx TM-86H says it works all the way down to 15 PTO HP due, in part, to being able to slow down the infeed with the hydraulics on large, difficult pieces of wood.

So, is this a legitimate benefit when trying to chip green or larger-diameter materials with a Compact Tractor, or is it just a gimmick? Any first-hand perspectives?

WoodMaxx TM-86H Hydraulic Chipper for Subcompact Tractor - WoodMaxx

chipper1.JPG

/ WoodMaxx TM-86H Sub-Compact Chipper -- Does the Hydraulic In-feed Make a Difference? #2  
I know there are other reviews of the WoodMaxx chipper family out there in the forums, but I was wondering if anyone had a specific insight as to how well the hydraulic infeed system works on the TM-86H Compact-Tractor chipper? From what I've read, this is supposed to be different / better from the Wallenstein and other gravity fed chippers in 2 ways:

1) Hydraulic infeed will help feed smaller crotches or bends into the chipper better than gravity alone

2) By slowing the hydraulic infeed rollers, you can chipper bigger stuff with less horsepower

The hydraulic feed is the main reason I'm considering getting the WoodMaxx instead of a Wallenstein BX series, because it really does sound like a great addition to a smaller chipper if it helps avoid jams and misfeeds. But I'm curious if anyone had used one of these and could compare it to the other value-priced gravity-fed chippers? I've used a rented gravity-fed chipper in the past, and it worked fine, but there was definitely room for improvement in the feeding mechanism.

I have a Deere 2320 with 18 PTO HP, so I'm on the low end of the HP range, but the WoodMaxx TM-86H says it works all the way down to 15 PTO HP due, in part, to being able to slow down the infeed with the hydraulics on large, difficult pieces of wood.

So, is this a legitimate benefit when trying to chip green or larger-diameter materials with a Compact Tractor, or is it just a gimmick? Any first-hand perspectives?

WoodMaxx TM-86H Hydraulic Chipper for Subcompact Tractor - WoodMaxx

View attachment 417060

I have the larger woodmaxx chipper with hydraulic feed, and no way would I want manual only. It is very easy to reverse the hydraulic feed if you get a branch it won't pull through. Not sure how that would be possible with the manual feed. It also has the capability of snapping smaller branches if they won't fit through initially.

They say my chipper is an 8" chipper, but I find the limit is the width of the infeed. I would classify it as a 3-4" chipper. It will chip pine a bit larger, pin oak seems to be the worst trying to get it to feed without jamming.

I've used chippers of various sizes in my time, and my chipper seems similar to a 6" salsco I used to rent. It's not quite as fast and has a slightly smaller infeed, but it's more similar than different. It's a huge step up from those lawn "chipper/shredders", which are about useless in my opinion if you have more than a single branch or two.

/ WoodMaxx TM-86H Sub-Compact Chipper -- Does the Hydraulic In-feed Make a Difference? #3  
I do not have experience with the smaller unit you are looking at. I do have experience with the larger unit. If the smaller unit reviews are posted,I suggest you try and contact some owners via phone or email and ask them. That is what I did before purchasing my unit. If you are not familiar with the pros and cons of having hydraulic feed, go rent a tow behind with a hydraulic feed and see what it really means. In the commercial PROFESSIONAL arborist world, the non hydraulic feed units are dangerous, outdated, and a PIA. Having the feed is the only way to go. The Woodmaxx ability to slow down or speed up the feed is a feature I like. I find my unit will take up to eight inches but I firewood most everything over four or five.
The feed works well and can be adjusted easily. The throat of the unit limits the ability to put bushy stuff in there, but the rollers do as advertised.

/ WoodMaxx TM-86H Sub-Compact Chipper -- Does the Hydraulic In-feed Make a Difference?
Thank you for the replies! Very helpful.

I pulled the trigger and decided to go with the hydraulic unit. I think I made the right call -- from what you say, as well as what I've read on other sites, the hydro infeed should make a big difference in controlling the feed rates and help in getting the most out of my limited PTO HP.

I usually cut up anything bigger than 4" for firewood, so will be interested to see if this will handle the 3-3.5" stuff. Fingers crossed...

/ WoodMaxx TM-86H Sub-Compact Chipper -- Does the Hydraulic In-feed Make a Difference? #5  
I spent many summers using a 12" hydraulic chipper for a city. I can't imagine using a non hydraulic unit.

I bought my woodmaxx last summer and didn't even consider something that wasn't a hydraulic feed. With 22 pto hp I can stop and start big stuff as the engine starts to slow to let it remain momentum. I can also reverse things that I wished would feed but end up being a little too big. I have a lot of aging pine, so even stuff that is 4" isn't firewood for me.

For me it's a safety thing, because the hydraulic feed restrict things from being pulled in too fast just as much as it helps feed it. I find it much safer to feed into the roller than the thought of feeding directly into the flywheel.

/ WoodMaxx TM-86H Sub-Compact Chipper -- Does the Hydraulic In-feed Make a Difference? #6  
My Wood Maxx TM-86H will arrive in 2 days to replace my Troy Bilt Super Tomahawk. I'm a little concerned about the BX 2200's ability to power and lift it. Like many others, 3-4 inch and larger diameter logs are for firewood.

/ WoodMaxx TM-86H Sub-Compact Chipper -- Does the Hydraulic In-feed Make a Difference? #7  
I have the WM-8H, but the TM-86H was designed for a tractor your size. HP wise you should be fine. Looks like you are right at the lift capacity of your model though.

/ WoodMaxx TM-86H Sub-Compact Chipper -- Does the Hydraulic In-feed Make a Difference? #8  
I have the big mechanical feed one running behind a 100 horse PTO tractor. I can run 8" diameter hardwood all day. I don't burn wood so it all gets chipped and with 70 acres of mixed hardwood, thats a lot of chipping. Hint.. Keep the knives sharp and spaced properly. You need 030 between the knives and the ledger avvil (the thickness of a credit card).

At first I thought 100 ponies would be too much (I had to extend the base a foot to get the pto shaft somewhat level)....... no issue with 100 pto. I did add a Weasler double plate slip clutch to the input just in case I hit chunk of tree that might cause too much strain, but, in 4 years I haven't found that piece of tree yet. I bet I've run 89 yards of chips in the last 4 years. No issues.

If the btanch is bigger than 8" diameter, I rip it to a chippable diameter and stuff it in. It's a hungry beast, eats everything eight up.

/ WoodMaxx TM-86H Sub-Compact Chipper -- Does the Hydraulic In-feed Make a Difference?
   / WoodMaxx TM-86H Sub-Compact Chipper -- Does the Hydraulic In-feed Make a Difference? #10  
I have to confess, I bought mine used from CraigsList and beat the seller down a bit...He was asking 1300 and I gave him 10 crisp c notes, actually I waved them at him and said this is it and I'm leaving. Amazing what crisp hundreds will to to motivate someone.

I figured for a grand, if I blew it up with a huge tractor (I'm running it at 2 times the rated input power), I wasn't out that much but suprisingly, it's never broke. I think most people who buy the chippers run too little power. With as much power as I have on tap, I run at about half speed on the PTO, thats plenty and it saves diesel too.