WoodMaxx TM-86H Sub-Compact Chipper -- Does the Hydraulic In-feed Make a Difference?

/ WoodMaxx TM-86H Sub-Compact Chipper -- Does the Hydraulic In-feed Make a Difference? #11  
Installed Pat's quick hitch tonight to Kubota BX2200 lower links. This extends the link length by 4 inches. Then quick hitched the Wood Maxx TM86-H Chipper, (FEL attached, bucket empty). Started and throttled up the tractor. Tiny tach revealed RPM at 2000. Then raised the 3 pt lever. As expected the old BX raised the chipper with no hesitation. Still need to add 5 gallons of Amoil ISO 32 synthetic hydraulic to chipper but I don't anticipate any issues.

An additional benefit of adding Pat's quick hitch is the extra 4 inch length will allow for use of chipper's stock pto shaft without having to cut it shorter.

/ WoodMaxx TM-86H Sub-Compact Chipper -- Does the Hydraulic In-feed Make a Difference? #12  
I have to confess, I bought mine used from CraigsList and beat the seller down a bit...He was asking 1300 and I gave him 10 crisp c notes, actually I waved them at him and said this is it and I'm leaving. Amazing what crisp hundreds will to to motivate someone.

I figured for a grand, if I blew it up with a huge tractor (I'm running it at 2 times the rated input power), I wasn't out that much but suprisingly, it's never broke. I think most people who buy the chippers run too little power. With as much power as I have on tap, I run at about half speed on the PTO, thats plenty and it saves diesel too.

I'm very surprised that you are able to run well below 540 rpm without clogging the unit. Whenever I have put branches in mine without spinning it up correctly the chute clogs. Maybe you don't run pine or anything sticky.

I'm also amazed you aren't slipping belts - my tractor will easily slip the belts before stalling the machine, and I'm running half the horsepower you have. One of these days I'm converting mine to chain drive.

/ WoodMaxx TM-86H Sub-Compact Chipper -- Does the Hydraulic In-feed Make a Difference? #13  
Pictures of your new acquisition?

Be sure to post a review of the unit after running some branches through it. I have a friend who may be interested in this same unit.

/ WoodMaxx TM-86H Sub-Compact Chipper -- Does the Hydraulic In-feed Make a Difference? #14  
Pictures are in the other thread on the Wood Maxx TM 86H unit.

My impression is that it is very well built. After limited use, I can say that it really is the unit for a SCUT but also for a larger tractor. The limited assembly needed was easy except for a coil spring that is attached to hold the hinged feed hopper open. Getting it installed was tough, more spring tension then needed. I would suggest adding length with some chain to facilitate ease of spring removal, a longer spring or a load binder to make it easier to fold up hopper when storing. Definitely get Pat's quick hitch and stabilizer bar. Gives more room to hook up pto on a SCUT and obviates the need to cut the pto shaft in addition easy hook up to 3 pt.
When operating, the ability to control the hydraulic feed rate is a great feature to slow down the branch feed with a lower HP tractor. Also the lever to stop the hydraulic feed and reverse it may be very useful. Access to fly wheel is easy by a one nut removal and then open the hinged lid for access to fly wheel although I might use a whiz nut instead of the standard locknut.

Chips are perfect, cut 4 inch branches easily. Directional spout is similarly easy to point.

All in all, a fine unit, good buy, friendly people at Wood Maxx got it to me in two weeks and onto my pick up short bed. Do get the $35 lift gate service. You need an electric hoist or larger fel to unload it.

I rate it an A on early experience, A+ if not for above mentioned spring. More after I use it for an extended period. Do get the hydraulic feed for safety and to control feed rate.

/ WoodMaxx TM-86H Sub-Compact Chipper -- Does the Hydraulic In-feed Make a Difference? #15  
Forget the spring issue. Once you release or lower the hydraulic feeder, the spring is easier to attach. The spring actually holds the hydraulic feeder down so the tines can grab the branches. I mistakenly did not have the hydraulic feeder down when attaching the spring. So now the initial rating goes to A+, I highly recommend this unit.

/ WoodMaxx TM-86H Sub-Compact Chipper -- Does the Hydraulic In-feed Make a Difference? #16  
Very nice unit. Ball park, what do one of these go for?

/ WoodMaxx TM-86H Sub-Compact Chipper -- Does the Hydraulic In-feed Make a Difference? #18  
Hey Guys,

How are you liking you TM-86H chippers now that you had them for a while?

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger in one for my John Deere 955.

Pe@ce
GOOBZ

/ WoodMaxx TM-86H Sub-Compact Chipper -- Does the Hydraulic In-feed Make a Difference? #19  
I'm very surprised that you are able to run well below 540 rpm without clogging the unit. Whenever I have put branches in mine without spinning it up correctly the chute clogs. Maybe you don't run pine or anything sticky.

I'm also amazed you aren't slipping belts - my tractor will easily slip the belts before stalling the machine, and I'm running half the horsepower you have. One of these days I'm converting mine to chain drive.

I run them fiddle string tight and keep the pillow blocks greased with high quality teflon fortified grease, same stuff I usr on my farm implements. I've never slipped a belt, the Weasler will slip before a belt. I'd avoid a chain drive because of the inherent chain slo / slap as it drives the shaft, especially with no slip clutch on the output, thats asking for a disaster. The cutting action isn't continuous, it's an impact cut and that will cause chain slap / slop. Thats why the belts are better able to rake the shock load.
I run pine all the time, no issue. I did have issues before I drilled 10 1/2" holes in the knife access cover on the backside of the machine. No issues after that. Even at half throttle there is a very noticible output of air from the discharge chute. I keep my knives sharp too. I own a machine shop and I purchased an angle jig for one of the big surface grinders. I jig a blade on the grinder and sharpen it, takes about 3 minutes a blade. The I take a fine oilstone and stone off the wire edge and the knife is razor sharp. I also bevelled the anvil on the entry side to allow a smoother feed of material. The anvil sits a bit proud of the chipper base, now there is a sloped entry, makes for a better input flow.

Far as I can ascertain, blade sharpness contributes as much to output flow as does the extra air intake on the backside. I realize most owners cannot sharpen their own knives and hand sharpening won't work because you cannot maintain the constant angle (27 degrees) that is necessary for proper chipping. No problem here, in fact I was thinking about running an ad on Flea Bay for grinding knives.

It don't matter what unit you have, Woodmax or Wallenstein or Jinma, dull blades equal a poor chipping situation and possible chute plugging. All the manufacturers sell replacement blades and anvils but in reality it's much cheaper to resharpen and the blades and anvils are through hardened and stress relieved so in theory, you can sharpen a set of knives many. many tiimes before replacement.

I tend to changeput mme every spring. I keep 2 complete sets, one in the machine and one on the shelf, ground and ready to go in. I just grind the anvil face perpendicular to the flywheel and take off any nicks. There is a lot of adjustment on the anvil on relationship to the knife clearance.

On clearance, I use an old credit card to space the knife to anvil clearance. That seems to work the best. About 0.030.

/ WoodMaxx TM-86H Sub-Compact Chipper -- Does the Hydraulic In-feed Make a Difference? #20  
I have owned a Wallenstein BXM32 Chipper/Shredder for several years, and it has been a constant source of frustration. It is used on my Kubota B3030 to chip and shred primarily green Bay Laurel (a hardwood) in a 40 acre Conifer forest, as we do "thin & release" work. It is slow, and clogs frequently. Mechanical problems are an ongoing problem, and I believe it was poorly designed for this work. Wallenstein has refused to help, and blames me for it's problems. The flywheel flanges that expel the chipped/shredded material have become extremely distorted and it seemed the only path was replacement. Wallenstein (while the unit was still in warranty) said I must have feed it rocks and refused to take responsibility! I was able to reform/bend and reinforce them, but it still clogs frequently.

Thus I am looking to replace it. Would the WoodMaxx TM-86H be a good choice? Are there any TBN readers with experience with these machines who can offer an opinion? Is the WoodMaxx TM-86H likely to be a superior performer?

Thanks,
Tom

ATTACH=CONFIG]490935[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• flange.jpg
    flange.jpg
    857.2 KB · Views: 93