Chipper Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper

/ Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper #111  
Oak & saplings? Definitely go for a hydraulic unit so you can vary the speeds. I got the manual unit since I chip only pine & fir.
Woodmaxx has never failed me.

Wow! Thanks Aquamoose and others for your replies. I need to shorten my labels so I can see when something comes in. :laughing: LOL I guess I will have to save up and perhaps get the hydraulic unit next year. I really like the idea of being able to reverse the unit in regard to entanglements. A slow feed for a larger log is also a big plus. Thanks again guys!! :thumbsup:

/ Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper #112  
That is good advice, the various speeds are useful. I had a large limb the other day, about 30' long and a solid 6" thick at the base. I lifted it up to my woodmaxx with my Mini Ex and slid it into the shoot, I had it set on slow feed so I just supported the other end with my mini and it feed perfectly. I was shocked how well it worked - even the side branches bent in and got chipped up in no time. With my old self feeder that would never have worked!

/ Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper #113  
When feeding in hedge branches it sure is nice to have slow speed to get away from the thorns.

/ Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper #114  
Definitely hydraulic feed. You need to vary the speed of limb entry in hardwoods like 6 inch oak. Reverse is useful to stop or back a limb out if you hear the tractor losing rpm. The Woodmaxx hydraulic units have there own pto driven pump.

/ Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper #115  
Always the contrarian I'll disagree with the conventional wisdom and say that no, you MIGHT not need to spend the extra on hyd feed.
Mostly depends on how you'll be using your Maxx.
In my case, pretty much anything above 4" or so is firewood so the feed speed issue others speak of isn't a problem 99% of the time and when it is I modulate by lifting the infeed roller.
If money is no object then by all means go for it, I'm sure you won't regret the purchase and as they say "it only hurts for a little while".
OTOH though, if your usage will be similar to mine I think you'd be perfectly happy with the mechanical infeed - I know I am.
Two years and probably a couple hundred hours on mine and I can count on one hand the number of "jams" and only one time did the chipper ever stall the tractor (28hp Bobcat) and that was when a chunk of 3/8 cable snuck in and wound itself around the flywheel shaft.
All in all, I continue to be amazed at how well built, designed, and functional the Maxx is - even without hyd feed.

/ Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper #116  
I decided it was time to change my knives again on my Woodmaxx 8H. The two flywheel knives are easily accessible and I have changed these several times before. I have not changed the bed knife before and now wonder if there is some trick to it. I can not even reach the Allen head screws after raising the infeed roller. There are openings on both sides -- but too small to get your hand in. I can only turn the hex nuts underneath. What is suggested? Do I have to remove all the panels of the infeed bin?

/ Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper #117  
I would give Woodmaxx a quick call and ask them. There customer service seems excellent and they maybe able to give you a few tips to make it easier.