Chipper Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper

/ Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper #101  
Just checking in for a quick review. I live in Indiana and the chipper is stored out in an unheated barn. **** thing runs great when I need it. It's out there uncovered and the paint is holding up well. It gets dusty but it gets to work when needed. So far same blades are going strong with out being sharpened or reversed. If you need a chipper get this chipper and it won't let you down. Best bang for the buck! I have the hydraulic unit and love it.

/ Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper #102  
Has anyone felt the need to reverse the bolts protruding into the hopper? I would think some button heads would let things flow better. Has anyone done it, or even considered it?

It is suggested in the assembly instructions, though maybe not for ALL of the bolts.
If/when I get one (STILL procrastinating) I might do this, it will depend on what my intuition tells me at the time.
Button heads ? Maybe, but once I start assembling things I typically don't stop to go to the hardware store for upgrades or design changes.

I would do it more to avoid burring over exposed threads, which makes dismantling hard - Yes, wood CAN abrade steel over time and wood that has been dragged through sand and soil can be very abrasive.

/ Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper #103  
So far I too am contemplating a Woodmaxx but still struggling with the mechanical or hydraulic unit. I have a Kubota L2800 tractor with a Harbor Freight quick hitch. So 22 or 23 HP @ PTO with lift 1,435 lbs at 24 inch. Perfect setup for the tractor and Woodmaxx. The extra $500 for the hydraulic model is it really worth it? I have 20 acres of oak woods with many dead trees to clean up. Plenty of small saplings to thin out too. lol

/ Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper #104  
Oak & saplings? Definitely go for a hydraulic unit so you can vary the speeds. I got the manual unit since I chip only pine & fir.
Woodmaxx has never failed me.

/ Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper #105  
Man, get the the hydraulic feed unit. Repeat. get the hydraulic feed unit.Woodmaxx WM8H rocks!

/ Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper #106  
Man, get the the hydraulic feed unit. Repeat. get the hydraulic feed unit.Woodmaxx WM8H rocks!

X2 - they Hydro lets you chip BIG stuff very easily because you control the feed rate. I had a Manual feed chipper in the past and the Woodmaxx hydro is a LOT nicer and worth the extra money.

/ Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper #107  
My Woodmaxx WM-8H arrived last Wednesday and spent about 4 hours setting it up. The instructions where ok but not completely up to date. There are more bolts in the current chipper and a 10 mm and 17 mm wrenches are required. I like the hyd feed, very easy to stop and reverse. Wrapped some willow around the infeed roll but reversed and they loosen up enough to feed. The Kioti DK 45 runs it great but for a smaller tractor frame I would want it as close to the tractor as possible, no quick hitches, because it is heavy.

/ Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper #108  
I've been running my WM8 for about 3 years now. Both my neighbor and I have put a lot through it. I have no regrets on the purchase and mountains of chipped mulch to show for it. Here are some additional thoughts. Once in a while a branch of just the right shape may jam in the slot where the in-feed roller rides. It may require some clever manipulation with a crow bar to dislodge it. This could probably be avoided if they had some sort of collar shield the slot the roller rides up and down in. In fact, in a couple instances I've had the roller itself walk out to the side and catch on the edge of this slot. One other recommendation from a maintenance stand point is to thoroughly check that all the set and other screws are tight every few chipping sessions. I've had a few parts vibrate loose (infeed height adjustment bolt & roller infeed drive chuck & key) but was luckily able to find them in the lawn and put them back together. If I had rear remote hydraulics I probably would opt for the hydro in-feed. On my manual model when I put a bigger / stronger log through it I moderate the feed by raising the roller every so often. Chipper

/ Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper #109  
I don't think the hydraulic feed unit requires the tractors hydraulic remotes. I believe it is self contained.

/ Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper #110  
I don't think the hydraulic feed unit requires the tractors hydraulic remotes. I believe it is self contained.

Correct - it is powered off the pto, rear remotes are not needed for the Woodmaxx Hydro 8".