Chipper Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper

/ Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper #21  
I have the Woodmaxx 8" hydraulic on my 52 hp Kubota. This chipper can easily handle what you can lift into it. I will say it prefers solid wood over old or half rotten wood. I would recommend this chipper to anyone. Of course, more hp is always better. I would think 30 hp minimum.View attachment 316304

/ Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper #22  
I also have a B2920, how's the chipper running these days? I am in the market and trying to figure out what is the best option for my Kubota. Is the hydraulic drive just too much HP for the B2920 PTO?

For 8 inch diameter material ? yes, probably.
Would you REALLY be feeding 8 inch material ?
Most of us can find better use for that size stuff.
See my earlier post where I speculate on power requirements for 6 inch vs 8 inch material (all other factors being about equal).
It is around 14 vs 25 HP.
EDIT: Ooops, just noticed that post was also a reply to your same post as this reply is responding to.
That was last night, I'm not FULLY awake yet.
:END EDIT
I see little/no problem with a $2750 chipper with an 8 inch capacity that is tractor power limited to 7 or 7 1/2 inch material.
Things don't get any "better" by limiting your choice to a chipper with LESS maximum capacity (-:

A side thought on the hydraulic drive.
Once you have another source of hydraulic power you have added opportunities.
Obviously a chipper occupies the PTO and it seems there are times where a hydraulic winch would be SO HANDY for dragging brush to the chipper. I am thinking a couple of hoses, a valve, some simple way of attaching a winch to the chipper's lower frame and you could have a very nice set up.
MOST of the time I would be chipping OR dragging, so this would not be an ADDITIONAL power requirement.

Of course, this would depend on the pump capacity.
I doubt one could run a 20K winch with any useful sort of line speed (-:

/ Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper #23  
For 8 inch diameter material ? yes, probably.
Would you REALLY be feeding 8 inch material ?
Most of us can find better use for that size stuff.
See my earlier post where I speculate on power requirements for 6 inch vs 8 inch material (all other factors being about equal).
It is around 14 vs 25 HP.
EDIT: Ooops, just noticed that post was also a reply to your same post as this reply is responding to.
That was last night, I'm not FULLY awake yet.
:END EDIT
I see little/no problem with a $2750 chipper with an 8 inch capacity that is tractor power limited to 7 or 7 1/2 inch material.
Things don't get any "better" by limiting your choice to a chipper with LESS maximum capacity (-:

A side thought on the hydraulic drive.
Once you have another source of hydraulic power you have added opportunities.
Obviously a chipper occupies the PTO and it seems there are times where a hydraulic winch would be SO HANDY for dragging brush to the chipper. I am thinking a couple of hoses, a valve, some simple way of attaching a winch to the chipper's lower frame and you could have a very nice set up.
MOST of the time I would be chipping OR dragging, so this would not be an ADDITIONAL power requirement.

Of course, this would depend on the pump capacity.
I doubt one could run a 20K winch with any useful sort of line speed (-:

Thanks for the feedback, I didn't ask about any thoughts regarding the options Woodmaxx offers: hydraulic feed or mechanical feed, what's the different? I assume mechanic is only gear diven from pto? What other factors are there between the two options? As far as 8" material is concerned, I would normally burn this size, I'm looking to chip a max of 5", maybe the occasional 6" tag elders that we are clearing out for our deer blinds and shooting lanes. As a general rule, I'm primarily looking to chip lots of 1-3" material, but wanted a machine that gets the job done quickly with minimal effort and efficiency.

/ Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper #24  
Aside from Woodmaxx, is there anyone out there that wants to brag about the pto chipper they use? again, I'm generally looking to chip 1-3" material, but don't want to be limited to smaller material, I will have 4-6" material available at all times! I would like a machine that gets the job done with little effort and efficiently. I have a Kubota B2920, this is a 29 hp engine with 21 hp at the pto. Any feedback is appreciated, I've been down the road where I've bought stuff that is nothing more than a waste of time and effort and ultimately find myself upgrading soon after my "good deal" purchase!

/ Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper #25  
Thanks for the feedback, I didn't ask about any thoughts regarding the options Woodmaxx offers: hydraulic feed or mechanical feed, what's the different? I assume mechanic is only gear diven from pto? What other factors are there between the two options? As far as 8" material is concerned, I would normally burn this size, I'm looking to chip a max of 5", maybe the occasional 6" tag elders that we are clearing out for our deer blinds and shooting lanes. As a general rule, I'm primarily looking to chip lots of 1-3" material, but wanted a machine that gets the job done quickly with minimal effort and efficiency.

Ya kinda/sorta DID ask about woodmaxx options (hydraulic vs mechanical).
The pump is driven from one of the belts that drive the chipper disc, one of four IIRC, i.e. the disc is driven by 3 belts on the hydraulic version, by 4 on the mechanical version.
The hydraulic version does represent a greater potential load on the PTO, so max capacity is reduced, though I can't tell by how much.
It depends on the length and weight of what is being dragged in and what it drags against, without pump specs it isn't possible to tell what maximum drag the hydraulic feed could be expected to handle - and from that what horse power load it could become on the PTO - subtract whatever that is from the PTO power to get what is available for the chipper itself.

/ Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper #26  
I also have a B2920, how's the chipper running these days? I am in the market and trying to figure out what is the best option for my Kubota. Is the hydraulic drive just too much HP for the B2920 PTO?

I'm running the Woodmaxx Hydraulic chipper with my B3030 which has 23 hp at the pto. (Woodmaxx specifies a minimum of 19 hp at the pto). I use it mostly to to chip pine and can chip up to 6" diameter pine without any issues. The hydraulic feed helps as I can slow down the feed rate for large diameter pieces. I can easily chip 4" hardwood as well.

Vic

/ Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper #27  
+1 vote for the Woodmaxx brand. Just received ours, assembled it, mounted it, and went to work. It works VERY well on our L3130 (26 @ the PTO). It eats whole trees from small branches all the way up to 5" diameter (a lot of white pine and Doug Fir, some cedar) and hasn't even slowed down. We'll make firewood from about 4" on up. We are working on learning and adjusting the machine to our needs, but the hydraulic infeed was wide open at 36 FPM and never slowed down. I cleared trees for 40 minutes and then helped my Dad feed the chipper which he had been feeding at his slower pace, and it did great.

IMG_20130518_121509_482.jpg

Had one problem with the Chinese manufacturing: the top infeed roller was mis-aligned on it's driveshaft. This causes that roller to "wobble." This is not a huge problem, and did not affect the short term performance, but we were concerned about long term wear. After a Saturday call and voicemail to Woodmaxx Customer SERVICE, a return phone call and fix was implemented at 0700 local time Monday morning. The fine folks at Woodmaxx diagnosed the problem after checking their records of similar symptoms, and immediately shipped out a replacement top infeed roller, free of any charge and including written instructions from the mechanic on the R & R procedures! This is excellent service. Another excellent and pleasantly surprising feature of this machine: it comes standard with Cat 1 pins AND Cat 2 bushings!

It is not perfect, and is not made in America, but it is as good or even better than your money should be able to buy and is supprted by an excellent company filled with great people offering unexpected levels of service.

Last edited:
   / Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper #28  
Just so you are not misled...that SG guy that says he bought a WoodMaxx chipper is a "shill". Read his note...English is NOT this guy's native language.

/ Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper #29  
Just so you are not misled...that SG guy that says he bought a WoodMaxx chipper is a "shill". Read his note...English is NOT this guy's native language.

What (or who) is "that SG guy" ??? After reading about the WoodMaxx WM-8H --- I'm nearly convinced this is the chipper for me and my Kubota L6060. (English has always been my native language. :dance1: )

/ Woodmaxx vs Jinma chipper #30  
I have the 8" Hydraulic Feed Woodmaxx. One nice thing about the feeder is that is has variable speed so you guys with less HP can chip big limbs by slowing the input speed.

Attachments

• image-2370679793.jpg
    image-2370679793.jpg
    699.9 KB · Views: 501